Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tires with Kevlar
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tires with Kevlar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for a set of tires for 18" wheels, somewhere around
275/70R18's with at least 3700 pound load index...

My main concern is rock damage on gravel roads when loaded off the pavement, I want a strong sidewall and increased puncture protection.

The only Kevlar tires I see are Goodyear Wranglers, three types..

Also want them to be good in snow...

Anyone have any experience with a Kevlar tire, only thing I know as yet is they are very expensive..

Is the Kevlar worth the extra money???

Thanks

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to a Jeep Wrangler forum and ask.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No experience with Kevlar in tires, but it was the dilemma when I was buying canoe to carry on roof of my TC.
Fiberglass or plastic canoe weights about 90 lb for 16' size, what seem light for me at the time, till I tried to carry it 1/3 mile to the lake.
Finally I was able to find used Wenonah canoe, who build with Kevlar makes just above 40 lb. Whole World of difference in this application.
Coming to tires, don't think couple of lb difference will be worth the top dollars for average user, but some buyers might go for it.
Rocks will damage the rubber before they damage the reinforcement, so I don't see how that might affect your use?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been running the top line GY with Kevlar for 10+ years. (AT Adventure not MT-R) Mostly run on pavement but have served well in mud, snow, sand, gravel etc. Have run hundreds of miles off pavement in the desert including Death Valley where the warnings suggest taking two spares. Lots of miles on sharp rocks and mild rock hopping. No issues.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure tires with Kevlar are good quality but I'd bet it's more marketing than performance. Again, billions of non Kevlar tires out getting pounded on daily.
For off road protection, heaviest load rating you can stuff in the wheel wells and IMO MT type tires with big lugs and side lugs offer a bit more distance and protection between rocks and the meat of the tire.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Go to a Jeep Wrangler forum and ask.

I'm not sure how that will help since the load on the tires on the truck will likely be 3 times what a Jeep carries.

In any case, I'd go with higher rated tires with sidewall protection and lugs like Gritdog suggests.. Kevlar will cut just like rubber.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think Kevlar tires would be superior to those with metal when it comes to rock mining. The kevlar wont suffer but the steel bands corrode and fail.

I know you're talking about TV tires but I have to say, my GY Endurance tires are terrible for rock mining. Small rocks go right through the rubber, exposing the silver bands. About the only gravel they see is some fine stuff where I park at home.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not with tires, but sails. I found out the hard way that all the strength in Kevlar fibers is in the warp - with the strands - and it takes nothing to break it across the grain. I would say that a Kevlar belt wound around the tire would be best, but if wound in the direction of rotation would not take a hit on the side.

The local fleet champ was one of the first with a Kevlar mainsail. The sailmaker said that if you took good care of the sail and didn't let it flog, it should last 2 seasons. The end of the last race on the second season, the main came apart. There wasn't a big enough piece to wipe your butt.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am no tire expert just know what has worked for me, the way I drive, on my vehicles and uses

First not sure you are going to find many choices kevlar or not in an 18 tire with a load range of over 3700lbs. There are some out there but certainly not a lot. Toyo AT II has a couple in 18 that is 4080lbs as does their MT line but not in oem size they are bigger in one way or another ie height and or width. Cooper discoverer at3 xlt also does but same as toyo not quite oem size. There may be a few others out there as well.

I have run the Goodyear Silent armor pro-grade which are kevlar and liked them but they really pared down the size selection and had to quit running them as they no longer made the size I needed and still don't with my newer truck.

I then tried the Goodyear Adventure with Kevlar pro-grade. The pro-grade does come with the severe snow/three peak rating as well as little higher speed rating compared to the non pro-grade version in my size. Their max rating is 3640 in 18 inch. If you are willing to go to 20 inch they do have a couple at 3750 lbs. In any case the Adventurer pro-grade has been a great tire for me. It does well on road, off road, rain and snow. If it lacks anywhere it is in the mud but I have yet to find a great mud tire (well tire I am willing to buy as I am not willing to buy an MT I feel I give up too many other things I like in a tire but again that is for my needs and uses) for an 8k+ lb truck and over the years I have tried quite a few. It is one of the best tires I have used on my trucks for the last 500k miles. I am now on my 3rd or 4th set of them and none have disappointed me.

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even Kevlar is 55 years old, its full potential seems still to be on unknown side and beside mentioned sail failure - Montreal got big hit with it when it had to replace Kevlar roof over its stadium.
READ MORE ON WIKIPEDIA and from my experience - when Kevlar tensile strength is superior in making structures with resin application - it lacks resistance to bending and sun.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tires with Kevlar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.