cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very Bad RV Wreck in Oregon

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Here's video that shows a Class A that crashed and hit a tree. The entire roof was pealed off of it!

You Tube Video out of Oregon
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona
29 REPLIES 29

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Racklefratz wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
Very sad that they had stopped for the night at a Walmart and were made to leave because no parking allowed. That is why the driver was out there at night and sleepy. Had probably already been driving all day. Had no money for a tow, probably had no money for a campground "if" they could even find one.

And this, friends, is the epitome of "living beyond one's means". Who operates an RV without the means to deal with the inevitable unexpected? Decisions have consequences.
What a BS statement just maybe that's all the poor bastard had to his name and you figure everybody should have million's to back him up in hard times, not every body is rich like you by the sound of your statement, and we wonder why people are leaving the RV site, give your head a shake or call me on it.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
doxiemom11 wrote:
Very sad that they had stopped for the night at a Walmart and were made to leave because no parking allowed. That is why the driver was out there at night and sleepy. Had probably already been driving all day. Had no money for a tow, probably had no money for a campground "if" they could even find one.

And this, friends, is the epitome of "living beyond one's means". Who operates an RV without the means to deal with the inevitable unexpected? Decisions have consequences.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
T18skyguy wrote:
jorbill2or wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Not that it makes much difference of the results but a couple of questions arise about the where of the crash.

"It took the Ilwaco Fire Department over an hour"... From Ilwaco it is at least a 30 minute drive to anyplace in Oregon and that includes a 5 mile drive across the Astoriaโ€“Megler Bridge.

Some of the comments in the comments section seem to come from the towing company that is located in Ocean Park, WA. Oregon State Police isn't likely to have them on the call list unless it was an extreme emergency.

And the poster that said "Most roads in Oregon have no guard rails;" must be a transplant. I am an Oregon native for 67 years and driven a vast majority of the roads in the state and have seen many miles of guardrails.

I don't doubt you've seen many miles of guardrails, but the standard is no guard rails on the majority of roads throughout the State.

I to am a lifelong Oregonian with now 4 years touring the us and sure, there are no guardrail roads in places in Oregon .. Iโ€™ve found the rest of the country no different. Where are you getting this sales tax / roads info from ? All roads .. everywhere are โ€œbuilt โ€œup with gravel shoulders.
Besides this crash was mislabeled and is a Washington crash. What about Washington state guardrails? On built up roads! I think they have a high sales tax but roads are generally from the fuel tax.
Old time Oregonians are a little touchy when transplants start talking sales tax to fix problems lol

I been here 26 years, and I find that native Oregonian's lack perspective. I've lived in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Florida, Texas, California(sorry) and Oregon. I did NOT advocate for any sales tax, nor do I believe guardrails should be everywhere, but in many places, they have them where their most needed(mountain passes and such), but not Oregon. You ever go from Eugene to Sisters or the other mountain passes? No guardrails. Pennsylvania has guard rails all over the place. What does happen is occasionally when someone gets killed going over a mountainside, they make some noise about guardrails but it goes no where(nor do I think it should) Don

Well been an Oregonian for 23 years, before that a Washingtonian. Both states have guard rails where needed, and not where not needed. The job of the driver is to stay between the lines.
I drive Hwy 47 in Oregon, there are places where the fog line is the edge of the flat surface, the ditch starts on the other side. If they tried to place guard rails there the post would be exposed for 8', likely little stopping power.

I really feel for the couple in the accident, but they either both should have been in the cab, DW acting as a second set of eyes, and to keep the driver awake. OR the both should have been in the bed in the back, parked in some park, or parking lot.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not Walmart's fault - not at all. Just a good explanation of why someone would be out there after dark driving those type of road when they were tired. It's bad enough to drive with no shoulder during the day, but even worse at night when tired.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
Not that it makes much difference of the results but a couple of questions arise about the where of the crash.

"It took the Ilwaco Fire Department over an hour"... From Ilwaco it is at least a 30 minute drive to anyplace in Oregon and that includes a 5 mile drive across the Astoriaโ€“Megler Bridge.

Some of the comments in the comments section seem to come from the towing company that is located in Ocean Park, WA. Oregon State Police isn't likely to have them on the call list unless it was an extreme emergency.

And the poster that said "Most roads in Oregon have no guard rails;" must be a transplant. I am an Oregon native for 67 years and driven a vast majority of the roads in the state and have seen many miles of guardrails.

I don't doubt you've seen many miles of guardrails, but the standard is no guard rails on the majority of roads throughout the State.

I to am a lifelong Oregonian with now 4 years touring the us and sure, there are no guardrail roads in places in Oregon .. Iโ€™ve found the rest of the country no different. Where are you getting this sales tax / roads info from ? All roads .. everywhere are โ€œbuilt โ€œup with gravel shoulders.
Besides this crash was mislabeled and is a Washington crash. What about Washington state guardrails? On built up roads! I think they have a high sales tax but roads are generally from the fuel tax.
Old time Oregonians are a little touchy when transplants start talking sales tax to fix problems lol

I been here 26 years, and I find that native Oregonian's lack perspective. I've lived in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Florida, Texas, California(sorry) and Oregon. I did NOT advocate for any sales tax, nor do I believe guardrails should be everywhere, but in many places, they have them where their most needed(mountain passes and such), but not Oregon. You ever go from Eugene to Sisters or the other mountain passes? No guardrails. Pennsylvania has guard rails all over the place. What does happen is occasionally when someone gets killed going over a mountainside, they make some noise about guardrails but it goes no where(nor do I think it should) Don
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry for the folks who were in the wreck and hope that they can recover from this.

The issue for the rest of us is about what to do if you can't overnight at Walmart, and the RV parks are closed or full. When there was no other option, I have spent the night at grocery stores, at Lowes or Home Depot, and once in a church parking lot. I might get a knock on the door from security, and I might be asked to move. But I am not going to set off at night down a two-lane road with my fifth-wheel in tow.

If asked to move in a smaller town, I would try to ask the police for advice. (In a large town, I would not be there at night without a site in a safe RV park.)

(In my younger days I did a few all-night drives in four-wheeler. But that was then.)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Forget about the guardrails, just a shoulder would have been nice - yikes! Those are white knuckle roads.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
T18skyguy wrote:

Bill

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Executive wrote:

/snip/

It didn't take the FD an hour to get there; it took them an hour to dig the passenger out of the debris. Re-read the comment....Dennis

The point I was making was that the Ilwaco FD would have been highly unlikely to be called into Oregon. I worded it very poorly.

My guess is that this crash happened south of Ilwaco, on either 101 or Washington 401. Both are winding and many places have very little shoulder. Not an Oregon crash this happened in SW Washington.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MrWizard
It's sad and rough to have that happen
But one tire cost more than emg roadside assistance does per year And a totaled RV is a large loss, they are out a lot more $$, than the increased insurances premium would have cost them
They lost whatever money the RV cost them
Comprehensive insurance (full coverage) would have covered most of that loss
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bruce_Brown
That one will not buff out.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
So now it's Walmarts fault
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2346 read what I said insurance + Good Sam, Coach Net, etc. and I have already been towed from an accident. Someone paid, not me.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II