cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winnebago Fuse

Silvergray49
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know why Winnebago discontinued the Fuse? Problems? Reviews?
15 REPLIES 15

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
Apparently Ford has redesigned the 2020 Transit chassis so Winnebago stopped production on the 2020 Fuse.....hopefully to redesign the house body for the new chassis. Not one seems to know if Winnebago going to bring the
Fuse back to production.....no word from them so far...
AS far as problems with the .fuse.....the vast majority of owners love their Fuses. Admittedly Winnebago did address some issues on the early models....like low rear clearance. You will find the most useful information on the Fuse on the Winnebago Fuse Owners Facebook group.

Reason the Ford Transit not used as a base for Motohomes here. Similar style ,would be the Renault Master, for lighter Motorhomes, not as near as many problems

Silvergray49
Explorer
Explorer
I was almost swayed by the Winnebago View until I looked at a new one. I just didn't like that the outside hatch doors open upwards but only half way. I would have to duck under to get to the back of some compartments and they are already low. If they opened up all the way I would probably be driving one today. Back to looking. What ever I get will probably be the last one. Maybe a Renegade Villagio? Maybe someone will come out with a nice unit on a Ford transit.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
millesecond wrote:
We are retired so the Fuse seemed like a great travel the country rv for just the 2 of us. Started looking at several dealers and after spending some time in one (1.5hrs) on the dealers lot the salesman insisted we test drive it before leaving. I was impressed with peppy little diesel. What turned us away was the wind noise coming from the coach entry door. From the drivers seat it sounded like the door was wide open.

When it comes to a Class C to replace my current Class C, all my chips are in to the Winnebago View. They're higher than others by a lot, however, it's the only Class C where I am certain that I would be making the right decision, all things considered. I've been looking at them for over 10 years now, and I'm convinced they're the way to go for me when it's time to trade Up.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about this since I liked the price point. I didn't, however, want one after viewing a few of them. Once you're inside - they're just too small for me, as contrasted with the Mercedes-Benz View/Navion. The Ford Transit diesel, one would think a winner. But I guess not?

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
millesecond wrote:
We are retired so the Fuse seemed like a great travel the country rv for just the 2 of us. Started looking at several dealers and after spending some time in one (1.5hrs) on the dealers lot the salesman insisted we test drive it before leaving. I was impressed with peppy little diesel. What turned us away was the wind noise coming from the coach entry door. From the drivers seat it sounded like the door was wide open.
You owe it to yourself to check out a Phoenix Cruiser. Being in Wisconsin, you are not so far from the factory in Elkhart, IN. Pick your favorite floor plan on-line by CLICKING HERE, call the factory for a tour making sure they will have a finished one on-hand of your favorite, for you to inspect. They used to build on the E350, E450, and Sprinter. Today they build exclusively on the Ford Transit and E450 chassis.

You won't hear a whistle from their main entry door. It is made very well, like no other I have ever seen. The door and door jamb are installed as an assembly. It is perfectly aligned, well gasketed, and also very solid, a reflection of their over-all workmanship. Outdoor compartment hatches are not up to the same caliber, but are still done well. Our 2007 outdoor compartments are well done but are more generic. Today they have compartment latching hardware like the best rigs have. You will pay more, but you get that much better. It depends on your priorities......cash in-hand, or cash in-rig.

If you go with an E450 chassis and delete as many slide outs as the floor plan allows like we did, you will lower the purchase price significantly. We applied the savings into the full body paint option. You can see our 2007 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 by CLICKING HERE.

We ordered our PC brand new nearly 13 years ago. We love our slide-less rig, so clean and worry-free for all the years still coming that we plan to keep it. Unless the floor plan absolutely requires a slide out, I always encourage people to consider deleting it to save money and avoid the rest that comes with any slide out. Keeping it simple keeps it cheaper, stronger, lighter, warmer, cooler, drier, cleaner, and most reliable. You even gain more linear wall space for bigger cabinets, or in our case a spacious and comfortable dinette.

millesecond
Explorer
Explorer
2011 GMC 3500
2004 HH Champagne 35sk

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Lumpty wrote:
Ford has upped their game with the 2020 Transit:

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit-chassis/models/cutaway/

The 11,000lb GVW and 15,000lb GCWR are real specs. Bigger news is a heavier duty cycle 3.5 EcoBoost is available with 310hp and 400ft-lbs of torque. That's just about V10 numbers, and also AWD is an available option across the line up, including the 178" WB DRW chassis.

That is going to make for a nice platform to carry a small Class C.

That's a game changer for sure, previously you could choose a wheezy gas V6 with very little low end torque or a diesel with decent low end torque but low horsepower. Now you can have both, and it should perform great.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Silvergray49
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, gottcha you either love em or hate them. I really like hearing from all opinions. Thank you for all your posts. It really does help. Silvergrey......Happy travels.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
The Fuse was ugly and didn't sell well. Where I work we couldn't give them away.

Interesting...... your compatriots to the north in the greater Phoenix area certainly had little problem moving their Fuses when they had them in past years......

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The Fuse was ugly and didn't sell well. Where I work we couldn't give them away.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has upped their game with the 2020 Transit:

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit-chassis/models/cutaway/

The 11,000lb GVW and 15,000lb GCWR are real specs. Bigger news is a heavier duty cycle 3.5 EcoBoost is available with 310hp and 400ft-lbs of torque. That's just about V10 numbers, and also AWD is an available option across the line up, including the 178" WB DRW chassis.

That is going to make for a nice platform to carry a small Class C.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Recent information I have read about the new Ford Transit chassis is the GVWR has been increased to 11,000 lbs and the GCWR increased to 15,000 lbs. These numbers come close to matching the Sprinter ratings.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently Ford has redesigned the 2020 Transit chassis so Winnebago stopped production on the 2020 Fuse.....hopefully to redesign the house body for the new chassis. Not one seems to know if Winnebago going to bring the
Fuse back to production.....no word from them so far...
AS far as problems with the .fuse.....the vast majority of owners love their Fuses. Admittedly Winnebago did address some issues on the early models....like low rear clearance. You will find the most useful information on the Fuse on the Winnebago Fuse Owners Facebook group.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
My friend purchased one new and had a never ending stream of problems with the Ford Transit and the Winnebago Fuse portions of the rv.Had to wait weeks for Ford truck shops for service which mostly couldn't repair sources of check engine lights and engine oil leaks. The rear of the rv was so low to the ground that the right rear was caught on pavement twice which tore up the body and caused extensive damage The cabinetry was poorly constructed and drawers were constantly flying open.They had to almost beg an rv dealership to take it in trade on a new one. Almost a year later the dealer still couldn't sell it and was offering a healthy discount to a point where they were losing a significant amount of money.