cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Survey for online reservation vs old school phone and email

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
The trend is to online with or without site lock fee.
There are several providers of online res. systems that are limited to showing dates and level of service.
Finally ,there is an online res. system that deals with the intracies of parks and you.
When you want to make a res. at an campspot.com reservation hosted park, you will be required to go through a field of questions that concern your unit and wishes even in depth as to which sat. tv. provider and allow you to pick and see current photos of that site.

If you do not lock the site for fee, , then occupancy optimization may shift you to another site designated as equal or better of the same type. Should this happen you get an automated confirmation email of the site # change.

We have searched high and low, tried everything This is the best that works for you and us at this time. We have always given the best we have to the first caller, the early bird got the worm.

Whats your vote?
1- is it worth your trouble. to reserve online? No phone or email? Secure deposit and payment? instant confirmation?
2- Are you OK with a site lock fee?
3- Are you OK with an equal or better site we designate should the system shift your site to optimize our occupancy? If you did not designate a specific site, area or need?
4- Accessibiliy in our camp is of highest concern therefore, we have locked out certain sites for reservation for staff, or because those sites have special needs like a dang good driver . Call or email if the system tells you no availibility. Might not be true.
5- Groups can reserve differently. For adjoining sites and cabins, a reservation locks all those requested for a period until each party confirms with administrative hold.
Votes please line by line.
comments welcome
30 REPLIES 30

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I always make the phone call. IDE rather hear from a person rather than a vague email answer.
I'll give whatever fee hey need to lock a fee.
As long as I get a good site I don't care.
If the website says no sites available, but there actually may be. Fix the website, you lost a potential customer. I'm not calling to verify your website. (This isn't on you,
Specifically, but I've ran into that before). I put my dates in and everything said no availability. I called and they had many left. Now I just move on.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I use both online and phone. If I am going to a popular area I try and make a reservation. When I do this I like to see a map of the CG & which spaces are available. When traveling we use a camping app and wife calls a CG in the are we hope to stop for the night. This gives us flexibility to find something if the place we call is full. When looking for over night I just want a space with power & water in a safe area. I check reviews before calling. I know I'll find at least one who posts all bad, just can't please everyone.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Whats your vote?
1- is it worth your trouble. to reserve online? No phone or email?
Secure deposit and payment? instant confirmation? I still prefer to phone in a reservation for a private park, because I usually have questions. I'm more than happy to give a deposit. If I HAVE to book online, I will - and then call you later with questions.

2- Are you OK with a site lock fee? Yes

3- Are you OK with an equal or better site we designate should the system shift your site to optimize our occupancy? If you did not designate a specific site, area or need?
I usually have specific sites in mind, like being close to a pet walking area; or the restrooms

4- Accessibiliy in our camp is of highest concern therefore, we have locked out certain sites for reservation for staff, or because those sites have special needs like a dang good driver . Call or email if the system tells you no availibility. Might not be true.
I want to believe what the map says; but also understand that sometimes there are those "special spots", which is why I call. Our little camping van is perfect for special spots.

5- Groups can reserve differently. For adjoining sites and cabins, a reservation locks all those requested for a period until each party confirms with administrative hold.
That makes sense.

comments welcome
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
For most RV resorts I tend to call because it's common that various discounts can not be applied their the online reservation system.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Ha. I had a choice between 2 campgrounds at the end of the month. I literally chose the one that I could reserve online vs. the one I had to call the park.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rarely make a far out reservation unless it is for something special like a festival of some sort or over a holiday weekend.

Seldom make a reservation at all while on the road & when we do it will most likely be for same day arrival & made by phone, always getting name of the person taking the reservation.

Call us old fashioned but we like the personal touch.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
1- is it worth your trouble. to reserve online? No phone or email? Secure deposit and payment? instant confirmation?

I reserve on a map online unless there is really no other option I don't want to call and I don't go if I don't have a reservation

2- Are you OK with a site lock fee?
yes as long as its not excessive

no I book a site I expect that site

list requirements per site like the Ontario Parks website does. you get filtered results based on what you fill in. their site is actually good (though their management isn't) if you cheat the filters and end up with a site that isn't good for you, that's your fault.

rules are rules, we often book multiple sites, just means we do it together at the same time.

comments welcome

Id recommend checking out the Ontario parks site. their reservation system is great.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Reserve America is simple to use. On my contact list...

My favorite state park is in my phone.

I guess it's easier because we are retired, but arriving during the middle of the week, has always given me a large choice in sites.
Exceptions are at Yellowstone and other high usage National Parks.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
1- I always call 2 days out for a weekday reservation (Sunday to thursday). 5 days ahead for a weekend reservation (Friday and saturday) I enjoy talking to the staff and they always seem to find a site that serves our needs.
2- Yes
3- No
4- Doesn't matter because I usually call ahead
5- Dont know because haven't camped with a group yet.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank all of you for your ideas, comments and concerns.
To answer some questions or concerns, Yes we are selling, actualy nearing contract. We have researched every online res. system that could work with our camp, as it is not a uniform camp, campspot.com is the only online system that shows all our unique criteria and intimate knowledge of our sites, thus guaranteeing best match and satisfaction for those who prefer to reserve that way.
All our previous reservation request (old way, phone email ) is active and encouraged for the onliners to call ahead if you have any concern or request
We are setting this up with full knowlege and approval of the new operators, as a added value for you our guests and an option that over half of reservists prefer.
On my survey I asked 5 questions.
Responses generally were mixed about 50/50. Some only online, some only in personal contact. You can always call then complete in the online way to make the instant reservation or go through our request a res. which may take a day or 2 . .

Site lock fee seemed understood. Guess its a new thing for some. For instance, If you designate you only want a particular site such as #60, or # 49 for their special attributes for a small fee that site will be Locked and gauranteed for you. You will not be moved to another site we have deemed equal or better for our occupancy optimization
If you designate a site type with your dates, equipment size and configuration you will see which sites are available that suit you. There will be representative photos of that type of site to view. To see actual 2019 photos of each site, go to campsitephotos.com linked on our home page
If you do not designate a specific site with the reasonable site lock fee, then the system will shift you to another site we have deemed equal or better with the attributes you input on your online reservation. You will get an instant email if this happens.
Again, We have administrative control. Should you be concerned , CALL
We have blocked out some sites as unreservable for staff, walk ups and some others we designated as unsuitable for large units, for the unforseen such as day early arrivals or those unfortunate with a health or equipment issue that delays departure on schedule.
As these are rare, but necessary occurances, we must serve our reserved guests first.
Therefore, if you see no availability online CALL! There may well be
Thank tou all for your comments and concerns
To you all We wish you a very merry Christmas
We and all our staff thank you for assuring ours is .

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We actually prefer, first come-first serve. When it's full, it's full. We do use recreation.gov for COE parks, but many of them also have non-reservable sites that are available on a first come basis. We also travel and don't necessarily know where we are going to want to stop. Have used e-mail or phone to check availability at campgrounds an hour or so down the road. If you don't have your rates on your website, I won't bother. I'll look for a campground that doesn't need to keep secrets and I'd never pay a lock in fee. We don't group camp.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather book on-line. At our favorite destination resort I like to also lock in a camp space as we have our favorites. There's been many times my wife will start the day driving allowing me to look and book a place for the evening. I really like using the Good Sam app for that.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
We tend to wander, and as such often look in the book for our next CG as the afternoon wears on. So we usually call prospective CGs directly while on the road to check on availability/booking.

I despise online booking and very rarely do it. Even when we are going to a specific place for a specific time, we call and confirm the reservations.
I know computers never screw anything up but I still don't trust them..........;)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Online res is a great service to offer.
Don't abandon the phone and email res though.
Different situations require different means for differnet folks and you don't want to limit your customer base at all IMO.
But at the same time, if you're always booked out and full during camping season, I wouldn't spend more capital to improve your current system, whatever it is, unless the efficiency and economy for you the owners is worth it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold