cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries

ijon1
Explorer
Explorer
Well it was the perfect storm. I left a light on in the toy hauler. The cord to the camper electricity got unplugged. It run the two batteries down. Are they cooked? Getting ready to go to Florida. Don't want them to fail on the way down.
14 REPLIES 14

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Dirtclods,

Fully charged electrolyte occupies more volume than totally discharged. If the "normal" fill line is used, then the acid may over flow. That is why the first charge only requires the plates be covered. i.e. to avoid a heck of a mess.

Dirtclods wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Dirtclods,

Only add enough distilled water to cover the plates. After the batteries are fully charged, top off, and then equalize.

Then do a load test.

Top them off ~ Or your interpretation to cover the plate. My plate to the bottom ridge line is a least an inch so filling just above the plates is not enough, every battery is a bit different. We're kind of on the same page.

I run two six volts there's a large void between just the top of the plates and the fill line and you could just fry the batteries not having enough distilled water as well. I do under expansion of the distilled water while being charged.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Dirtclods,

Fully charged electrolyte occupies more volume than totally discharged. If the "normal" fill line is used, then the acid may over flow. That is why the first charge only requires the plates be covered. i.e. to avoid a heck of a mess.

Dirtclods wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Dirtclods,

Only add enough distilled water to cover the plates. After the batteries are fully charged, top off, and then equalize.

Then do a load test.

Top them off ~ Or your interpretation to cover the plate. My plate to the bottom ridge line is a least an inch so filling just above the plates is not enough, every battery is a bit different. We're kind of on the same page.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ijon1
Explorer
Explorer
My wife said they were not totally discharged. She was the one that found them. I topped off the water in them. I know its not right to take them down that far. Time will tell. Thanks to all.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourself a favor. You are going on a long trip. Get two new batteries, make the old ones spares and enjoy your trip!

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Dirtclods,

Then do a load test.

AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dirtclods,

Then do a load test.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
ijon1 wrote:
Well it was the perfect storm. I left a light on in the toy hauler. The cord to the camper electricity got unplugged. It run the two batteries down. Are they cooked? Getting ready to go to Florida. Don't want them to fail on the way down.

I would advise check your fluid if low fill to the brim with distilled water. And charge them one at a time for eight hours then check them.

With a load tester.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-612v-battery-load-tester-61747.html
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they were in good shape performing as intended beforehand, charging them back up with a smart charger would be my first move. You could have them load tested but it should be obvious if their performance is lackluster by comparison prior to this event occurring. Whether you choose to replace them now or later is your call, there are plenty of Samsclubs and Costcos on the way to Florida. Have a great time in the Sunshine state.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you don't have LEDs yet.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Charge them, then equalize them.
Regards, Don

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
charge them then have a load test done any parts store for free.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ijon1 wrote:
Yes the light was out. Set like that for two days. I already know the answer. Thanks.

You know your batteries history, so yes, it is easier to answer your own question. A few things pertain to amount of damage, like age of batteries, prior times run down to low levels, did they freeze.

IMO, while some damage likely happened from this single event, a fresh, healthy battery can recover, and still be of service.

Jerry

ijon1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the light was out. Set like that for two days. I already know the answer. Thanks.

2003silverado
Explorer
Explorer
Did they get completely drained to the point the light you left on was completely out? How long did they sit like that? We had a few very cold nights in Michigan the last couple days. Did the batteries get well below freezing temperature during the time they were low?