Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup to restore to new computer

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
Computer help needed.
SSD primary drive with some of win10 programs, 2 tb HHD with other win10 programs.

I want to recreate these 2 drives on a new machine, and I am lost.
RVing since '74..
11 REPLIES 11

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.zinstall.com/products/zinstall-winwin

Worked for me, Win 10 to new machine Win 10.
-jbh-

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use Acronis True Image backup. Its a bit more expensive, but it will backup all the data and applications/ mirror image. There is also built into the program a feature that will let it restore to different(new) hardware. Other than the price, the only other issue with Acronis is it has 5 running process's, so it works the computer a little harder. Most backup's have less than that.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
ccchuck wrote:
can I imagine each disc, then restore those images on a new computer?

But the programs will not work on the new computer since the new computer has differ main chip and motherboard.

THE current HDDs are "married" to the current motherboard, I see, should have realized that, otherwise you could make endless copies of windows.

I will image my current drives, one of which is "making noises", replace the old drives and restore.

thanks for all the help folks!
RVing since '74..

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Within the last month, I bought a new Windows 10 laptop because Microsoft is dropping support for my old Windows 7 machine, plus at 6 years old, it was SLOW.

I subscribe to Carbonite as a backup service for my data. The Windows 7 machine's data was fully backed up. I took my new Windows 10 machine and did a clean install of all of the programs, then I restored my data to the Windows 10 machine from Carbonite. It worked like a champ, completely painless. I haven't found that I lost any data or files at all.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your new computer will have it's own OS, registry and drivers for all the stuff to work with it.

You can't just take your drives from the old computer and plug them into the new one. None of the drivers will work, so no video, audio, etc...

You can copy the 'data' from your programs and then using the original install disks, install them on your new computer and then restore the data.

This gets all the registry entries in place, which is another pretty big deal with the new computer, so no, simply copying to the new computers HD will not work.

You can copy the stuff from your "USERS" folder. This gets all your desktop, documents, favorites, pictures, videos, etc to go back to your new computer, but as was said, program wise, you need to reinstall those for it all to work.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
ccchuck wrote:

But the programs will not work on the new computer since the new computer has differ main chip and motherboard.

On you new computer I suggest you put all programs on the "C" drive and create a different partition or different HD call it "F" for all your data. Then do routine backups. If you need to restore your C drive you will not lose your data on the F drive. Or if you move to a new computer then you can clone your F drive to a new F drive and all will work OK.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ccchuck wrote:

if you mean 'image', yes. an image backup of a drive or partition creates a clone that can be restored to a new drive or partition, warts and all. if there are bad sectors on the original drive they'll be copied to the new drive.

what's wrong with the current HD?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
RVing since '74..

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
"Copying" programs from one computer to another almost NEVER works unless they are very simple programs.

If we are copying data, the simplest, quickest way is to remove the disk from the old machine, purchase a SATA to USB adapter (under $20 on Amazon or Newegg) and plug it into the new machine.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Assuming you are going to install a new hard drive in the same computer you need to get a good backup software. I would do a Google search to find the best backup software for your particular application. I personally like an imaging backup software.

Some of these have a free 14 (?) trial periodIf

Most will clone a drive to a new larger drive.

If you are going to install on a DIFFERENT COMPUTER you need the original disk to install from scratch.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't have the install discs/downloads? Where did the programs originally come from? Going from what brand of computer to what brand of computer? Install on a clean drive?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"