cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ceramic Heater Safety

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where I should post this; please feel free to move it? I did a forum search for the subject, but couldn't find it.

Basically, I'm looking for a supplemental space heater that's "safe" to use in a trailer. By "safe" I mean it has a tipover switch, an overheat switch and if your dog wags his fluffy tail against it, it might not ignite.

Do "ceramic" heaters fit the bill?
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!
49 REPLIES 49

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
One of my biggest fear is that one of these overseas companies will go ahead and put UL listed on their packaging, but it wonโ€™t really be, Just like when they slip in the inferior trailer tires that lack required safety features
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
tomman58 wrote:

Electrical code says 80% is the max for sizing a circuit, wire size. Also those devices in your trailer that are for 110v are UL listed for there usage which means safe for their circuit load. Don't fear what you don't understand there are rules to follow with electricity.

The problem is I do understand. So unless one knows what else
Is on that circuit it will be overloaded. Seeing how most RVs have minimal number of circuits this becomes easy.
Sorry as the son of a Firefighter I very much dislike space heaters. Yes, I have a couple if I have a furnace failure, but would only run on low.

"So unless one knows what else
Is on that circuit it will be overloaded." Overload of any circuit is controlled by the fuse or circuit breaker that is what keeps your system safe. As I mentioned "ALWAYS" make sure you are using UL listed electrical devises. There are plenty from overseas that do not meet that criteria.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomman58 wrote:

Electrical code says 80% is the max for sizing a circuit, wire size. Also those devices in your trailer that are for 110v are UL listed for there usage which means safe for their circuit load. Don't fear what you don't understand there are rules to follow with electricity.

The problem is I do understand. So unless one knows what else
Is on that circuit it will be overloaded. Seeing how most RVs have minimal number of circuits this becomes easy.
Sorry as the son of a Firefighter I very much dislike space heaters. Yes, I have a couple if I have a furnace failure, but would only run on low.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Replace the return air grill for the furnace with twin window fans. That keeps air flowing through the duct work on my class C. This allows me to heat 100% electrically down to -37 c (-34f)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Well I have read most if not all the responses and don't recall the effects of running a 1500 watt heater on the standard RV 15 amp circuit and outlet. At 1500 watts that is 12.5 amps of current draw on a 15 amp circuit on 14 gauge wire. Not to my liking. My supplemental electrical heat is through my furnace.

WHY?????
#14 wire is throughout your stick house other than the kitchen and the laundry. #14 wire = 120v X 15 amps = 1800 watts electrical code limits its use to 80%. around 1500watts

Yep, Just enough, don't forget the outlets in trailers have minimum wire contact, it is called insulation displacement. The wire is squeezed into a slot in a contact. I only add 20 amp circuits, with 12 gauge wire with screw-down terminals.
By the way 1500 watts on a 15 amp circuit is 83% of the rating.

2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomman58 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Well I have read most if not all the responses and don't recall the effects of running a 1500 watt heater on the standard RV 15 amp circuit and outlet. At 1500 watts that is 12.5 amps of current draw on a 15 amp circuit on 14 gauge wire. Not to my liking. My supplemental electrical heat is through my furnace.

WHY?????
#14 wire is throughout your stick house other than the kitchen and the laundry. #14 wire = 120v X 15 amps = 1800 watts electrical code limits its use to 80%. around 1500watts

Yep, Just enough, don't forget the outlets in trailers have minimum wire contact, it is called insulation displacement. The wire is squeezed into a slot in a contact. I only add 20 amp circuits, with 12 gauge wire with screw-down terminals.
By the way 1500 watts on a 15 amp circuit is 83% of the rating.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
richardcoxid wrote:
Lwiddie

Please explained your comment โ€œ Electric heaters are nice except you need to run the RV's propane heater to keep the tanks from freezing if it gets really cold.โ€œ

The freezing temp of Propane is a minus 306 degrees F!

Water and waste tanks.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
richardcoxid wrote:
Lwiddie

Please explained your comment โ€œ Electric heaters are nice except you need to run the RV's propane heater to keep the tanks from freezing if it gets really cold.โ€œ

As was said, the tanks in question are water (fresh and waste) tanks, which in many RVs are heated by having a dedicated little duct from the furnace going into the wet bay tank area. Using electric space heaters doesn't heat that wet bay well if at all.

It's perhaps worth noting that, while the freezing point of propane is very low indeed, in cold weather conditions (but within the range of temperatures you might be expected to encounter) the vapor pressure goes down, which particularly for high-pressure propane appliances like simple camp stoves can dramatically affect performance. It can also affect other appliances if the rate of propane use is sufficiently high to cool the propane in the tank (due to evaporation) enough to lower the vapor pressure below what the regulator needs. In short, in very cold weather, propane can fail to work well, particularly for things that need a relatively high flow of gas.

Even if propane were to freeze, I don't think it would pose a threat to the tanks as it probably doesn't expand when it freezes (most substances do not; water is the big exception).

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
In our last two mhs I have installed a tow kick electric heater, which is basically a 1500 watt electric furnace. Both mhs were 120v 30 amps. I hooked the heaters to the same breaker as the Air Conditioner, you aren't going to run both at the same time, so no harm. You can use a programmable t-stat these heaters. And the heater is not taking up floor space.

Dusty

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
richardcoxid wrote:
Lwiddie

The holding tanks/water supply, not the propane tanks.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddie

2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
OK all, thanks so much. You've given me lots of food for thought. Heading out in a couple of weeks for a mid-winter break.

To answer a couple of you, I just like to use a space heater to supplement the propane heater. I have a "hybrid" or expandable trailer, and using a space heater prevents the condensation in the bunk ends we get when using just the propane heat. Using a space heater also takes part of the load off the propane heater and saves propane.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:

WHY?????

The internet?

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

WHY?????
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i