cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to STREET VIEW in Google Maps?

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I used "street view" in planning routes. Just this week I tried to use it and I cannot get street view to work at all--NO street view.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what to do about it?

I can't find anything through online search or Google help. I hope this does not represent a permanent change in what was a helpful planning tool.
18 REPLIES 18

Community Alumni
Not applicable
padredw wrote:
Baraboo Bob wrote:
I just tried it and they changed how yo get to street view. I use to be able to click on a location and scroll in and it would switch to street view. Now I have to click on the little man to get the street view to come up. I liked the old method better.

Exactly my experience and opinion. Today is the first time I've ever had to use the "little man" method. I, too, like the old method better.

But I thank everyone who helped me to solve my problem.

Ditto on the above for me too. Seems like they went backwards a little because I remember using the little man in the past to get to street view. Google Earth still has the zoom in mode for street view

JimR

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, I never use the little guy for street view. I simply double click the cursor on the road where I want to see and there it is.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like there's been a change in your default map settings. Dragging the figure is the method that I've always used.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been having to drag the little guy down to the road, then streetview loads for me. Not working the way it normally did, but still able to get it.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Baraboo Bob wrote:
I just tried it and they changed how yo get to street view. I use to be able to click on a location and scroll in and it would switch to street view. Now I have to click on the little man to get the street view to come up. I liked the old method better.

Exactly my experience and opinion. Today is the first time I've ever had to use the "little man" method. I, too, like the old method better.

But I thank everyone who helped me to solve my problem.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campfire Time wrote:
There are some remote locations where they just don't have Street View. It's annoying because you get pretty used to using Street View.

There should be some hidden spots on this earth! Actually I'm more surprised about the remote spots that the Google car has visited. If the road is RV accessible it probably has a streetview. Or in some cases individuals on bike, foot or ski.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarabooBob wrote:

The little man has been around for ever.

The zoom method still works - if I am in 3d Sat view.

Once I'm in streetview, I often use the thumbnail map to select neighboring spots to view.

On the setup memu, there are selections for 'traffic', 'bicycle' and 'steetview'. Select the last, and all roads with a view are highlighted. Just click on one. Or hover to see a thumbnail view. That highlighting is the same I get by grabbing the man over the map.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be working fine for me.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
There are some remote locations where they just don't have Street View. It's annoying because you get pretty used to using Street View.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't the little yellow man on Google Maps called Pegman?

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks, everyone. Here is the situation: I was at a place where I had used street view before, so I knew that the data had been there. In the past all I had to do was go to satellite view and keep zooming in and street view would automatically open up. I had NEVER used the "little yellow man" in the past. But it seems to only work that way now.

I just tried it and all of you are right. I went right back to that same place and put the little yellow man to work -- BINGO, street view works.

I must say, I like the old way better, but this way works. Problem solved. Thanks.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It is working for me. The little man is there even in standard map view. And moving him to the map shows street view.

There are some few areas where the google cars have apparently not been to video the area. Especially more remote areas, and newer streets that have not been there long enough to get their picture taken. I was in a street view picture for about 5 years before they came around again and took new pictures and dropping me out. So those are sometimes well behind time. Maybe you are looking at one of those areas.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
In Google Maps, if you flip over to Satellite view, in the lower right corner will display the little "peg man" along with the option to display images. Click on the little yellow "peg man" and drop him onto the location you want to see the street.