cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOTOR OIL ?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
After learning a certain oil change facility does not always change the oil filter when doing an oil change I went back to doing it myself. Things have changed on the motor oil shelf. So many choices. Synthetic, petrolium, blended. My question is if I go synthetic and need to add oil later can I mix petrolium with synthetic? What is blended? Is "high mileage" oil any different? Howq? Thanks for any info you may share
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
69 REPLIES 69

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Mobil 1 extended life oil and filters. Change on miles only, not the calendar.
Works for me.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BenK wrote:
Hey Grit...maybe only wants motor oil made from USA wells... 😉

I run full synthetic

I simply offered two better oil filters and where they were made.

I did not get all in a tizzy.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Grit...maybe only wants motor oil made from USA wells... 😉
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Da fuq does this have to doo with motor oil??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My RAM is ASSEMBLED in Mexico. Not thrilled about that. I have owned two other US Made RAM’s.

Fact is the vast majority of the truck is US Made. Fact is there are less US good paying jobs now that the filter is made in Mexico.

That matters to me.

Other choice is Ford with a Mexican made diesel. GM not interested.

Well it sounds like less Mexico in the Ford :B More jobs here. When you getting that new Superduty :@

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
The body panels are also stamped at the same Mexican plant. Under NAFTA parts can cross borders several times before they are completed, regardless of where the vehicles are finally assembled.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My RAM is ASSEMBLED in Mexico. Not thrilled about that. I have owned two other US Made RAM’s.

Fact is the vast majority of the truck is US Made. Fact is there are less US good paying jobs now that the filter is made in Mexico.

That matters to me.

Other choice is Ford with a Mexican made diesel. GM not interested.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Quite FUNNY!

I simply gave two BETTER oil filters as an option to the FleetGuard Stratapore not one person said thanks for the info.

I also mentioned where they were made and that the FleetGuard changed from being US Made to now being Made in Mexico.

But several go out of their way to say they have no issue with it Made in Mexico.

Incredible!

Maybe I should start talking about how great AMZ/OIL is, that should put a few in a tailspin. :B

I am aware of the two you mentioned for awhile now. Anyway thanks for bringing them up. I have used either the Mopar brand or Fleetguard since new.

I will probably change to Donaldson since I am extending my old change intervals ,and going to synthetic now instead of plain old T4. NO!!!, not Amsoil :R Either T6 or one of the other top brands of Synthetic, whatever comes off the shelf.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Quite FUNNY!

I simply gave two BETTER oil filters as an option to the FleetGuard Stratapore not one person said thanks for the info.

I also mentioned where they were made and that the FleetGuard changed from being US Made to now being Made in Mexico.

But several go out of their way to say they have no issue with it Made in Mexico.

Incredible!

Maybe I should start talking about how great AMZ/OIL is, that should put a few in a tailspin. :B

My truck was made in Mexico, why would I have a problem with using a filter that was made there.

Exactly !!!!

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Quite FUNNY!

Incredible!

My truck was made in Mexico, why would I have a problem with using a filter that was made there.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quite FUNNY!

Incredible!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"they could not change my oil because the drain plug took a special tool and I would have to go to the dealer to get my oil changed...."

PLEASE do tell what this "SPECIAL" tool is????????

Well my special tool is a short 3/8” socket extension. It fit bit the 2001 5.9 and the 2016 6.7. LOL!

Yea me too! Same "Special" tool used on all 5 of my CTD's.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RAS43 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

If you want an even better filter for your RAM look into the AMZ/OIL - Donaldson Blue. Same filter Made in USA. The FleetGuard Stratapore unfortunately is now made in Mexico.

I would never change from the Fleetgard Stratapore fliter just because it was made in Mexico. It is too good a filter IMO. Great fleet experience.

How about because these two are actually better than the Stratapore that i have used since 2001 over 550k.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Can't say I've experienced so many of these anomalies or concerns with oil changes. Which is weird, they must actually be anomalies and not really concerns, because I've changed a schittload of oil.

You may not be concerned, and I agree they are anomalies. But look at numbers. In the time I had my 1693, I changed the oil in it at least 200 times, and there was a couple years it did not work. (When I bought it that Cat was in it's 3rd truck) Even my pickup has had about 60 changes. Looking at all the cars and trucks on the road, 0.01% of changes have problems is a lot of problems.

It's just something I do.
Drain oil (sometimes 2 min, sometimes 20), change filter.
Reinstall filter and drain plug (not necessarily in that order).
Dump the required amount of new oil down er throat and....done.

check for leaks
Most times I change the filter while the oil is draining. On some it is easier to catch all the oil, and stay out of the oil, to get new filter on before pull the drain plug.