Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deadbolt suggestions

djglover7
Explorer
Explorer
Forum,

I have an LQ horse trailer RV. It appears to have standard RV components.

I would like to add an independent deadbolt to the primary passenger door (i.e. front door). I want it to be a "double key".

Any suggestions? There is very little to no components or parts on the interweb.

Dennis
2500 HD Silverado
2000 Bloomer LQ
1958 DW
9 REPLIES 9

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Benji888578 wrote:
I just happened across rv deadbolts this week, looking to install one myself, hereโ€™s one, Iโ€™m sure you can find on other websites as well...***Link Removed***

Link removed? Canโ€™t post links to other websites? Makes life difficult!

It will strip out links (to any website, I think) for the first few posts one makes, maybe ten. That is mainly an attempt to combat spammers. After that probationary period, you can post links.

Benji888578
Explorer
Explorer
I just happened across rv deadbolts this week, looking to install one myself, hereโ€™s one, Iโ€™m sure you can find on other websites as well...***Link Removed***

Link removed? Canโ€™t post links to other websites? Makes life difficult!

I found on etrailer deadbolt for RVs uses standard house type key, either key or lever inside. โ€œ Valterra Deadbolt Lock for RVs or Mobile Homes - Double Cylinder - Stainless Steel - 5/8" Throwโ€

djglover7
Explorer
Explorer
djglover7 wrote:
DrewE wrote:
I'd go for a surface mount residential deadbolt (sometimes called a rim lock or, for certain designs a Segal lock). It should be easier to mount on a thin door than a tubular or mortise lock.

Give a little thought to how you would get out in the event of a fire. You have very little time to do that in an RV fire, much less than in a typical house fire, and fumbling with a key to open the door could be problematic.

Good suggestions, thank you (I did not know what those locks were called).

The trailer has emergency windows so I think I am willing to go with an additional deadbolt.

I just want to get away from the standard keys that come with these RV lock sets. Just need to stop or slow down the opportunistic/dumb thief.

I have also just found out that the Segal brand provides a double cylinder with a different interior key. The interior key will not open the lock from the outside.
2500 HD Silverado
2000 Bloomer LQ
1958 DW

djglover7
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I'd go for a surface mount residential deadbolt (sometimes called a rim lock or, for certain designs a Segal lock). It should be easier to mount on a thin door than a tubular or mortise lock.

Give a little thought to how you would get out in the event of a fire. You have very little time to do that in an RV fire, much less than in a typical house fire, and fumbling with a key to open the door could be problematic.

Good suggestions, thank you (I did not know what those locks were called).

The trailer has emergency windows so I think I am willing to go with an additional deadbolt.

I just want to get away from the standard keys that come with these RV lock sets. Just need to stop or slow down the opportunistic/dumb thief.
2500 HD Silverado
2000 Bloomer LQ
1958 DW

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
the tougher you make it for a criminal to get in, the more damage they will do getting into the trailer.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
From the pictures I could find, it appears that at least some of the entry doors use standard RV lock sets. There are a number of replacement lock sets available. Tri-Mark makes a bunch of the OEM lock sets with deadbolt and locking latch. I think there's only a handful of unique keys and many use the same key.

There are a number of electronic and/or wireless lock sets available as well. AP Products and RVLock brands are readily available on Amazon among other places. I believe RVLock claims some uniqueness in the keys, but I'm not sure how much. The "deadbolts" for all of the locksets are pretty flimsy.

If you're looking for something more secure that just drops in, I'm not sure there's a lot of offerings, but lets face there are usually a lot of entry points that are at least as vulnerable on an RV or horse trailer.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

djglover7
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Isn't a standard deadbolt like what they have in hardware stores? You can take it out and bring it to a locksmith if not.

I will look into that option but I was hoping there was an application that took into account the narrow thickness of the door.
2500 HD Silverado
2000 Bloomer LQ
1958 DW

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't a standard deadbolt like what they have in hardware stores? You can take it out and bring it to a locksmith if not.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper