Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Extension cords
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Extension cords

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Lurker52

at large

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,

We are going to our daughters for Christmas (Panama City Fl.) in the motorhome. We will mainly be sleeping in the coach. I will have to park about a 100' from the house. I want to plug into the house (probable 15 amp) My RV is 50 amp and I have a 25' cord. I also have a 25' 30 Amp extension cord. So I need another 50'. I am thinking of making a 50' extension from exterior romex (12/2) wire with a 30 amp plug on one end a standard house hold plug on the other end. This will be cheaper than buying another 50' of RV cord. Way cheaper.

I am aware that I will only have limited power, but we only will be running a few lights and maybe the TV a bit. I want to avoid using the generator.

Any thoughts or other ideas.

Thanks as always

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming you do not plan on running the A/C and for a one time thing, I don't see anything wrong with your plan. Shouldn't be much voltage drop, even if they happen to have a 20 amp circuit available. Might even be able to run the A/C if they have 20 amp, and you run very little else.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get 75 feet of 12/2 w/ground. Install a 15/20 amp cord body and install a 50 amp cord body. This would eliminate the use of the 30 amp cord. Why? Every connection whether it be a cod body or terminations can create problems.
As you stated, you will need to manage power usage by shutting off 120 volt water heater, if equipped and running most appliances on propane.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not go to all of that trouble. For less than $30 you can buy a 12/3 outdoor extension cord from Amazon. Romex does not lay flat and is a PIA to roll up afterwards. With an extension cord you can roll it up when you are finished and keep it for the next time it is needed.
50' extension cord
Of course you could also buy the 100' cord and eliminate all connections.

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are off by a long way.

100 foot run at say 20 amp max draw would required a 10 gauge wire and you would only have 114 volt at the end. I did not use your motor home wire since wire size is unknown.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The power drop will be fine for a few lights and a TV. These items have a wide range of acceptable voltage swings. You might have a problem with high draw items like a compressor but even with a lower voltage an electric space heater would be OK also.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I would not go to all of that trouble. For less than $30 you can buy a 12/3 outdoor extension cord from Amazon. Romex does not lay flat and is a PIA to roll up afterwards. With an extension cord you can roll it up when you are finished and keep it for the next time it is needed.
50' extension cord
Of course you could also buy the 100' cord and eliminate all connections.
This is a good plan. Very doubtful you can run any high draw appliances but from your description this is OK and many of us have done the same.

Most household plugs are multiple 15A plugs on a 20A circuit. So additional house loads and the CB trips. Therefore turn off the CB and find out what other plugs are on the circuit.

For $70 you can also buy 2x 30A RV cords. While you still have the above house circuit you'll also have additional 30A options.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW For years I used 2x 25' 50A plus 2x 25' 30A cords at my sons house (100' total) and no single A/C issues. However the plug is adjacent to the house CB panel.

Several years ago we upgraded the plug to 50A and I purchased 2x 25' 50A cords since we were going to be there for additional hot summer days.

No voltage issues with either set of cords.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For just lights and a TV any extension cord will be fine. No need to over do this.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just get a standard 50' extension with #12 wire from HD/Lowes/Ace and enjoy your RV.
Set the fridge and water heater on propane.
Any use of the hairdryer, microwave, heatpump could trip the house breaker. Especially on a shared circuit.
Furnace, lights or small tv should not present any issues.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Extension cords
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.