Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I would like to hear from someone that actually have been cited for not having proper license to haul heavy in CA.

Still waiting...........

There was a dude a few months back either here or on Jayco-Irv2 gripeing cause he had been ticketed here in Tx and put OS driving a big MH & towing a jeep . He never really explained why he was stopped so I never thought it was just a lincense check
It can happen as I Have a good friend with F450 & a long gooseneck trailer who had to drop his trailer on the side of the road . Trooper, thinking he was illegal commercial operation ( which he is cause he builds metal buildings also ) stopped him to make sure he had a CDL & DOT # , which he does not cause he thinks because he is a farmer gives him exemption from any special license.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks!

Clarification.

Not commercial or LOOKING commercial. Anyone been ticketed for hauling a heavy 5er in CA with a standard SRW/DRW pickup for not having proper endorsement.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Carl n Susan

Carmichael, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

Carl n Susan wrote:

Thanks 94-D2! Not to quibble, but the CA definition of a Pickup is:

Pickup (CVC §471)—A pickup is a motor truck with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and equipped with an open box-type bed less than nine feet in length. California Code of Regulations, Title 13 §150.04 further defines pickup trucks:
(Reference https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch13/ch13_3)

One kicker which CA has ignored is that most 3/4 or 1 ton pickups, especially Fords, have a unladen weight greater than 8K lbs.

The specification of a "open box-type bed" means flatbeds and utility bed vehicles are *NOT* pickups.

It then follows that anyone, including stock duallies, are required by law to stop at CA weigh stations. But doing so puts your life in danger from real truckers and the scale operators.

No need to quibble, the definitions (etc.) are all in this Caltrans link, as well as "Discussions" - which may(?)clear things up...[emoticon]

Link:

Scroll down to: "Do These Vehicles Have To Stop At The Scales?"

Life in danger - "from real truckers and the scale operators"..[emoticon]

~

The line ups at the CA weigh stations are already long. But legally, based on the DMV's definition of a pick up, every 1 ton dually plus most Ford F250/F350s must stop as they are not "pick ups".

If they did, the real truckers and the scale operators would be very upset. If you want to find out for yourself, just stop at a weigh station with your dually. I am sure the weight master will be more than pleased to take time to explain why you don't need to stop. I suspect the other truckers in line will also be willing to explain why you shouldn't stop. But according to the law, you are required to stop. Catch 22!

I know a Montana Owner who lives in Redding CA (near an I-5 weight station) and has an F450. He has been ticketed numerous time for not stopping. He fought the ticket in court and lost. Of course he is somewhat of an A hole and well known in the area.

momentum rv

Central Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck and trailer are an RV. (Heavy on the R) I will not be stopping at the weigh stations.

I too am curious to hear from any actual citation recipients for out of class operations. For as many "stories" we hear about check points at Glamis and Pismo there should be many cuz very few I know are properly licensed for the trailers they are pulling.

2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

Rich1961

Colfax Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Thanks!

Clarification.

Not commercial or LOOKING commercial. Anyone been ticketed for hauling a heavy 5er in CA with a standard SRW/DRW pickup for not having proper endorsement.

A friend was riding with someone pulling a large 5ver several years ago coming back from a NASCAR race. They were pulled over for speeding and the CHP Officer found out that the driver had a Class B license which does not cover a 5ver over 15k GVWR. The officer told him he would have to get someone with the proper license, or drop the trailer and it would be towed by a Tow Truck. My friend had a Class A Commercial License so they were allowed to proceed. No ticket for out of Class for the original driver, but not allowed to proceed unless a driver with the proper license was behind the wheel.

A lot of regular CHP Officers are not aware of the license requirements for towing the heavier 5th Wheels, but that appears to be changing. I've talked with several before I got my Non Commercial Class A 5 years ago, who told me to ask the Commercial Officers as they weren't sure on how to answer my questions. The Commercial Officers knew and had the answers. Recently while driving my Company Truck, a SRW F350 with Utility Bed, I was directed to pull into a random roadside truck inspection in the Rocklin area. The Inspector asked for Drivers License, Registration, and Insurance which I provided. He came back in about 5 minutes, and returned all my documentation and said I was the first Non Commercial A License he's seen doing any of this type of work. Not many have the License, and there are many who don't know about it or choose to ignore it.

2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

AirSupport

Boondocking somewhere in N. America

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CumminsDriver wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Thanks!

Clarification.

A friend was riding with someone pulling a large 5ver several years ago coming back from a NASCAR race. They were pulled over for speeding and the CHP Officer found out that the driver had a Class B license which does not cover a 5ver over 15k GVWR. The officer told him he would have to get someone with the proper license, or drop the trailer and it would be towed by a Tow Truck. My friend had a Class A Commercial License so they were allowed to proceed. No ticket for out of Class for the original driver, but not allowed to proceed unless a driver with the proper license was behind the wheel.

A lot of regular CHP Officers are not aware of the license requirements for towing the heavier 5th Wheels, but that appears to be changing. I've talked with several before I got my Non Commercial Class A 5 years ago, who told me to ask the Commercial Officers as they weren't sure on how to answer my questions. The Commercial Officers knew and had the answers. Recently while driving my Company Truck, a SRW F350 with Utility Bed, I was directed to pull into a random roadside truck inspection in the Rocklin area. The Inspector asked for Drivers License, Registration, and Insurance which I provided. He came back in about 5 minutes, and returned all my documentation and said I was the first Non Commercial A License he's seen doing any of this type of work. Not many have the License, and there are many who don't know about it or choose to ignore it.

Wow, interesting story. Thanks for sharing that ! I made up my mind that I will definitely get my class A non commercial. I found out I have a cousin that has a commercial Class A ans he said he will accompany me for all of my trailer needs when time comes to DMV testing and licking it up from the dealer.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

momentum rv wrote:

My truck and trailer are an RV. (Heavy on the R) I will not be stopping at the weigh stations.

I too am curious to hear from any actual citation recipients for out of class operations. For as many "stories" we hear about check points at Glamis and Pismo there should be many cuz very few I know are properly licensed for the trailers they are pulling.

Can't speak to Pismo.....
but for So CA folks who frequent Glamis (Toy Haulers)and the Colorado River (towing boats) - the CHP is very "active" - usually starts with a speeding violation, of course followed by...."May I see your Driver's License please".

The "regulars" (frequent freeway flyers?) - are in the know!

The scales (weigh stations).
I regularly pass the scales in San Clemente (I-5) and the scales on the 405 approx the city of Torrance.
You will see SRW & DRW *pickups* with stake beds or utility bodies in the lines.

Does the CHP chase down the "stock" (factory bed) dually pickups?
Never seen that.

My BIL has raced NHRA (Super Gas) for lots of years. His (bumper pull) enclosed car hauler trailer is rated 9,999 lbs. No special DL required.

His two (old & newer) duallys both have a shell on 'em. Not req'd to stop at scales. (He figured the easy solution long ago!)

NEVER been stopped, NEVER gets in the line at the scales.

When the traffic on our local freeways is cooking along at 80-85 in a posted 65 - you won't see black & whites with dozens of "eligible for greetings" vehicles pulled over....Nope - the regulars know *not* to be the "point man" by going faster than the flow.

I recall driving on the 405 opposite a guy towing a large sailboat in the HOV (car pool) lane. I'm thinking, he might as well be flying a banner saying, Cite Me!!
Continued for about 20 miles, until he finally took an off ramp "unmolested" the entire time. CHP can't be everywhere!

It should be noted in re: the stop at scales discussion. Pickups towing RVs with out-of-state plates have reciprocity for their state of residence. Smile as you pass...[emoticon]
Hot-shot drivers towing brand new trailers might be a bit..."ify".

~

~

* This post was edited 12/15/19 04:14pm by ol Bombero-JC *

mhardin

Texas!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, this doesn't help the OP, but here in Texas there is a lot of confusion by DPS as well. When I first realized I needed a non-commercial class A, I went to a nearby driver's license "super center". These "super centers" are set up in various locations in large cities due to the long waiting lines at the older centers.

I was told at the "super center" that there was no such thing as a non-commercial class A license and I wouldn't need one anyway. Being a LEO and knowing how to read the transportation code, I showed them the chapter and verse saying I needed one. That brought on a huddle of a bunch of their folks trying to decide how to deal with this. Again, I was told I didn't need it and to go home. I called Austin who confirmed that yes, I did need the license. Austin told the local folks here in Houston how to make it happen. That required another huddle of the local folks trying to figure out what to do. Finally, they let me take a written test, which I passed. Then, when I tried to schedule the driving test, it was back to square one.

They don't administer the driving test there, although they do administer the commercial class A driving test. Another call to Austin, who told them, yes, they did do the driving test there and to schedule it. At this point, I felt sure I was marked to fail the driving test, but I passed.

The point of this long post is that apparently, not too many drivers in Texas bother to obtain the proper class of license for their RVs. Otherwise, the driver's license test centers would know how to handle them.

2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 03:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't understand what the problem is. If you are buying from a dealer they should be happy to drive from their lot to the DMV with you and deal with this. This is their business. I am sure you can store it on the dealers lot until you are ready to test. If the dealer is not willing to help you, find a new dealer

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MY take on it is this -

I would NOT be worried about it, There is probably 2 people that have had an issue.. JUST because your licensed, doesn't make you a better driver.... TRUST ME>>

If your concerned, read below -

If using the vehicle for business, ANYTHING with a GVW over 10,000# IS considered a Commercial Vehicle..

With that said, the operator of any commercial vehicle needs to have a valid medical card..

** NOTE ** I stated any vehicle that is NOT USED FOR PERSONAL USE, ( COMMERCIAL ) ..

Now, the class A endorsement comes into play when the total combined is OVER 26,000.. OR the trailer is over 10,000..

My license is a commercial Drivers License " A" with the following endorsements: "M" = Motorcycle.. "P" = Passenger ( Bus, NOT school bus ) "T" = doubles/Triples.. "N" = tanker.. IF anyon in SE PA needs help with a license, I would be willing to give a hand..

In their eyes, this is the definition of the Non commercial-
Non-commercial Driver's Licenses
"CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. ... Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more"
NOT BEING USED FOR BUSINESS..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.