cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continental Tires PSI rising 20

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently bought Continental 255/70R 22.5's for my Tradewinds, it has always ran Michelins but none were available. I'm traveling from Southern Utah to Southern Arizona and am running 100psi in all 6 tires. I have a TST TPMS that I've used since TST first started that monitors each tires temperature and psi. The 100psi goes up to 120psi going down the road at 65mph. Outside Temps were running high 50's/60's. The Michelins never went up this much. I don't think they ever went more then 6-8 psi, even in 108 outside temperatures. My Honda CRV tow vehicle only gains 2 to 4 psi and these are with Continentals also. My old Michelins were 14 ply and the new Continentals are 16 ply, could this be the cause???

Is there anyone on here who is running the same size Continentals with a Tire Pressure Monitor System that monitors PSI and Tire Temps?? One more thing my Tire temperatures were running a few degrees above the outside temps. The tires were not hot at all, only problem is the 20 degree rise of the psi
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
18 REPLIES 18

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“before TPMS you never knew or even thought about how much they increased.“

I love new things to worry about! (Not)
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
There are some well known "leak sealants/lubricants" which use relatively low boiling point hydrocarbons that can cause excessive pressure rise. Did the shop that installed the new tires by chance . . . . . install . . . . anything else, other than the new tires? IMO, a sniff test for contaminates inside the tires is in order.

Chum lee

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Tire pressure usually goes up when the temperature goes up.

Let's restate that:

Pressure WILL go up as temperature rises. Well proven in the 1800's. Still true today.

PV=nRT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second vote that the data points don't match: If the pressure goes up, so should the temperature.

While I like the idea of reinflating the tires with known dry air (or nitrogen), I'll bet that makes no difference - which would prove my contention that even with known water in a tire, it hardly affects the pressure buildup at all.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Octaneforce wrote:
Do you notice any vibrations? Maybe these tires aren’t balanced as well and causing more heat.

There has been no vibration.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
Do you notice any vibrations? Maybe these tires aren’t balanced as well and causing more heat.
1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tire pressure usually goes up when the temperature goes up.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Sometimes when a tire is mounted by a rookie, he will use an excessive amount of lubricant to get the tire in place. All of that excess lubricant/moisture may be in your tire and causing your temps to increase a little higher than normal, since you did not have that issue with your other tires.

I am reading pressure went up not temp.

The OP said "20 degree rise of the psi" so is that degrees or pressure?

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Sometimes when a tire is mounted by a rookie, he will use an excessive amount of lubricant to get the tire in place. All of that excess lubricant/moisture may be in your tire and causing your temps to increase a little higher than normal, since you did not have that issue with your other tires.

I am reading pressure went up not temp.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"Water vapor causes some deviations from the ideal behavior as at typical tire temperatures and pressures water doesn't quite respond as an ideal gas. Maybe the air you have in the tires isn't particularly dry."

Just a guess. You might want to try bleeding the existing air from the tires and filling them again with . . . . KNOWN DRY AIR! Having filled the tires with excess humidity may be an issue. 20 psi change from cold to hot is a lot especially in winter time. I'm generally not a fan of using nitrogen in RV tires but that would be another option if dry air doesn't help.

Edit: Do all the tire pressures rise equally? Have you checked the tire pressure with a KNOWN GOOD MECHANICAL GAUGE to confirm that your TPMS is reading correctly and that the known good gauge and the TPMS are reading consistently? In aviation you really need not one, not two, but three independent ways to confirm the accuracy of your data to be confident.

Chum lee

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
One more thing my Tire temperatures were running a few degrees above the outside temps. The tires were not hot at all, only problem is the 20 degree rise of the psi

Those two pieces of data don't match.

Have you actually felt the tires to see how hot they really ARE ?
HEAT is the only thing that will increase the pressure.

I think there is no validity to the temp readings of a TPMS.....since the sensor is not mounted on the tire itself. For tires your size, they often are at the end of a VERY long metal valve stem.

I don't pay much attention to the actual readings on my TPMS as they aren't very accurate but seems like I remember increases similar to that in the summer time. I have "off brand" truck tires.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Mine go up at least that much. What is the problem? They are designed to do it, and before TPMS you never knew or even thought about how much they increased.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
deleted
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It