Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Yellowstone Questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from General RVing.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay in the park if you can. Then you go to sleep with the wildlife and wake up with them. I like to go during elk rut and listen to them bugle all night.

I have been going since 1955. Last time out we pulled into our assigned campsite at Mammoth, and there were 38 elk standing there. Time to find a new campsite.

* This post was edited 12/08/19 09:41am by ppine *

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camped outside the park at Grizzly RV park. Full services 50amp. Real nice and lots of restaurants and things to see. Had no problems traveling through the park seeing everything we wanted.

https://grizzlyrv.com/campsites

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if there are any cabins at Fishing Bridge. There are lots of them just down the road at the Lake Hotel.
There are some at Old Faithful Lodge area.
The Lake Hotel is only two miles from Fishing Bridge, so it's fairly central on the east side of the Park.
West Yellowstone has lots of motels and will probably be your best bet. As stated, it's right on the edge of the Park and 14 miles from the junction that will take you north and around the loop to Fishing Bridge, or south and around the loop past Old Faithful to Lake Hotel and Fishing Bridge.
There is a middle road between the north and south loops, so you can take two days to see the north loop and two days to see the south loop.
We like to plan on lunch or dinner at Old Faithful and watch the geyser go off before or after we eat...about 1 hour between eruptions.
I recommend a tour of Old Faithful Lodge and one or two of the visitor centers...Mammoth at the north end for sure.
Take binoculars. you will be glad you did.
Cell phone service is not so good, but you can get good service up at the top of Mt.Washburn.
I recommend also that you fly into Jackson, rent the car there, and drive through Teton National park on your way to Yellowstone. The Tetons are unforgettable!

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Can you get into the park early in the morning from outside?

Yes, but I suggest you sign up for one of the guided park tours first. Yellowstone is a VERY big park.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to stay at a hotel or lodge inside the park make reservation as soon as possibly. They sell out far in advance.

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fly into the Town of West Yellowstone, rent a car and stay at a hotel in town or at Grizzly RV Park. The town is convenient to the west entrance and you can see all the high points of the park easily in a week. Enjoy your trip.

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we stayed an henry's lake near West Yellowston and then moved to the Teton Lodge campground. We were there for a week. Senior pass lane is very short and quick.

Pain in advance for both. Henry's lake charged me extra for the toad, even though I declared it when I bought the tickets.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s been mentioned a few times. Make sure to spend time in the Tetons! I consider it part of Yellowstone. And for us I consider it just as spectacular if not more!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really depends on how you like to camp . Some like FHU's, some like a more remote CG. I found the CG's inside the park very crowded with small sites and hard to get without reservations. Stayed in the NFS CG's in west Yellowstone, sites were larger, less crowded and no problem getting into. Woke up one morning to buffalo sleeping in our camp site, saw a grizzly chasing a mother and baby moose into the river. Short drive with the tow car into the park. GS and I hiked into the park from our campsite along the river and fished in park, never saw another person.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.