cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opening and closing slides in winter

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
What is the lowest temperature to safely open and close slides in the winter without damaging seals ?
toolmaker
8 REPLIES 8

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
It depends upon the slide seal material.....Iโ€™ve extended or retracted my slides in temperatures lower than -10 F. memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Really depends on temps and water/ice. If you have 10 percent humidity and haven't had any rain since you parked the temp really shouldn't matter. If there was water along the edge of your seals when the temp dropped below freezing, you might want to wait until you get a warm up.

These are pretty much my thoughts. You just have to watch for frozen liquid sealing the slide to the trailer. Obviously, to be safe, anything below freezing could be a problem but if there is no moisture you are probably okay.

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
My rig is a 2017 Jayco Class C and my slides have rubber seals. I extend the slides periodically in winter and 20 deg or even less if we're out with no problem. However I keep them lubed with "rubber seal spray" or if I don't have any I spray Armorall on them to keep flexible. Been doing that form many years on several years with no problem. The key is the seal must remain flexible. The summer heat and sun takes a toll on the seal if not protected by some kind of shield compound.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Really depends on temps and water/ice. If you have 10 percent humidity and haven't had any rain since you parked the temp really shouldn't matter. If there was water along the edge of your seals when the temp dropped below freezing, you might want to wait until you get a warm up.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

js218
Explorer
Explorer
I've opened and closed mine in -15f no problem
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I would be concerned about any water that was retained and frozen.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seeing as know one here really knows what type of material your seals are, it would be very hard to answer that question. But, if the seal material is still flexible and not brittle (you should be able to tell by touching and manipulating them), then they should be fine.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
M.R.E. wrote:
What is the lowest temperature to safely open and close slides in the winter without damaging seals ?

If there's nothing in the "manual", call the mfr with your VIN, and ask them.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member