Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why Tesla's are bad at towing!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why Tesla's are bad at towing!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He's probably 'calling out Tesla', because they have posted a video of Tesla vs F150. Where the Tesla out pulls the F150 going up hill in a tug of war scenario. However that has already been debunked by some other physicists who point out that the Tesla weighs much more than an empty F150. And that increases the frictional force that the tires can exert. And the tires to the road force is what matters pulling up hill.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny part is, he is an actual Tesla owner and has made many pro-Tesla videos in the past. I guess he and the guys at TFL are right, the Tesla fanboys are fanatical and will go after you if you say anything that they perceive as a negative about Tesla regardless if it is true or not. Almost like a cult.

* This post was edited 12/05/19 09:03am by ShinerBock *

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it makes sense to have the power for electric vehicles embedded in the roadways to keep the batteries charged as the vehicles drive along the road... kind of like trolley busses.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Funny part is, he is an actual Tesla owner and has made many pro-Tesla videos in the past. I guess he and the guys at TFL are right, the Tesla fanboys are fanatical and will go after you if you say anything that they perceive as a negative about Tesla regardless if it is true or not. Almost like a cult.

Just, almost like a cult? LOL

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I think it makes sense to have the power for electric vehicles embedded in the roadways to keep the batteries charged as the vehicles drive along the road... kind of like trolley busses.

LOL how many millions of miles of roadway are there in the US? Aha! There are about 4,071,000 miles of road, changing all the time of course. And figuring a conservative $100,000 a mile to electrify that would be $4,000,000,000, that 4 Trillion bucks plus operating and maintenance costs. And that does not include all the dirt and gravel roads that we like so much out west.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

LOL how many millions of miles of roadway are there in the US? Aha! There are about 4,071,000 miles of road, changing all the time of course. And figuring a conservative $100,000 a mile to electrify that would be $4,000,000,000, that 4 Trillion bucks plus operating and maintenance costs. And that does not include all the dirt an gravel roads that we like so much out west.

Not to mention the fact that wireless charging is very inefficient and wastes a lot of energy. There is also the factor of voltage drop over long distances.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot comes down to the type of towing you do. Granted, most people on this forum are expected to hitch up a camper and go cross country so range is very important. On the other hand, I tow a trailer most every day with my business but rarely travel more than 120 miles in a day and there are probably quite a few contractors that meet that description. The Tesla truck would probably work out very well for me. There are quite a few people that just want to run down to the building supply store and pick up some lumber. The Model Y towing a small trailer would work for that. The advance orders for the Semi are mostly from companies with defined runs less than 500 miles between facilities that they own and can put charging stations at. I think that we will see EV's towing trailers first in niche markets then expanding. It would also be nice for me to be able to leave home every day fully charged and not have to worry with getting my trailer through gas stations.

Meanwhile, Tesla keeps improving battery life and charging rates. This will make the EV as a tow vehicle more and more practical as time goes by.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fuel cell based EV is my guess, same old limiting component system...fuel storage and everything in that food chain....but that only one limiting factor

Laws of Physics does not care what type of vehicle...even a Tesla has to deal with them

Anyone ever read the fine print on all thongs discussing crude oil reserves ? "Known" is always on there... Aren't they still finding more ?

About 10 years ago, all of my automotive feeds talked about 2 types of algae that produced produces hydrogen and other an oil much like diesel, but cleaner

Was going to invest in both, but both dissapeared at about the same time...

Now seeing ads from one of the major oil OEM'S pitching next gen diesel from algae...

So ICE'S are not dead just yet...if ever...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla said they have a goal of installing solar panels on the roof.

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

[emoticon] who called out Tesla? Are you suggesting that Jason Fenske's analysis is flawed because it references Tesla?
Main title to the thread. So that is member ShinerBock that called out Tesla.
Not flawed at all. Just that it is an EV problem not a Tesla problem.

Same as calling out FORD because the DEF hurts performance and economy when ALL have the same issues.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why Tesla's are bad at towing!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.