Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dealing with pet passing while on the road
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Dealing with pet passing while on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an older dog who's really get up there in age. Nothing specific, or time based, just getting slow in her old age.

If she should happen to pass while we're traveling, how do you find a good local vet?

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are at a campground, I would ask the campground owners/staff for recommendations, or fellow campers (if from the local area). There is probably 'google' sites that may have reviews of local vets.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When our king Charles died of old age we brought him home. It was cool out and we put him in a bag, sealed it with duct tape, put him in the trunk of the toad and drove two days home. He is in the back yard with a couple others.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Marley, at age 9, became suddenly quite ill in Southern Virginia while I was returning from a volunteer summer position in New Hampshire. I stopped at a campground, unhooked my trailer and found the vet they suggested. That vet was unable to treat her, but referred me to a cardiologist vet in the next city who waited on me to arrive after hours. We were not able to save her, despite significant interventions, so I said good bye to her in a strange city. They put her in a nice box so I could return home with her.

I traveled with complete vet records that aided greatly in immediate care as some tests were not necessary. You are at the mercy of people to guide you during a crisis, whether it is for the dog, yourself, or even your RV. Being prepared with records and whatever knowledge you have is all you can do. I was lucky to find very caring, compassionate people who not only cared for Marley, but me was well.I am forever grateful.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since forever we have been traveling with 4 doggies, we have had to deal with this a on 3 separate occasions all with our Cavaliers also(its sometimes tough to talk about this because we have two recent Cavalier adoptee's that are in the 14 year old range.) Having had all of our "kids" over the years Cremated and placed into nice Urn's, that was never an issue. Surprisingly enough, we have always been fortunate to locate caring and compassionate Vet's! We've done this by ways already mentioned, asking at the Campground, asking other Pets owners and generally a Computer/Web search can help greatly.

I guess with all Pet owners, its something in the back of your mind but Not so pleasing to dwell on. I wish you the best and Hope its not something that you must deal with anytime soon.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to those who cared enough to share their experiences with this difficult subject with us. Pets ARE family and it's always so hard to say goodbye. I've never had/thought about this situation before but being away from home would certainly make a tough situation even harder.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would first ask for recommendations at a campground if possible, as others have suggested. Another resource is the American Animal Hospital Association locator tool. Not all vets are accredited by the AAHA. Given a choice I wouldn't want to use one that wasn't.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had a Collie pass while on the road I would make arrangements with a local vet for a cremation just like I do at home.

Personally I would be more concerned about what would happen to the Collies if something happened to me while on the road.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I would be more concerned about what would happen to the Collies if something happened to me while on the road.

Leave contact info in your wallet/purse/rig. "In case of emergency and I cannot return to my dogs please contact...".

We didn't travel that much with our dogs (for various reasons) and we knew the areas we took them to already. I'd suggest if you are going to be in one spot for any length of time you pre-scope for a vet. Hard to do if you are moving from spot to spot but if you are staying for a while you can be a little bit prepared so you aren't scrambling while you are stressed.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are wanting to take the remains home, then consider cremation. Typically can be done in a couple of days depending on the provider. Or if longer, they may ship the remains to your home for you.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Dealing with pet passing while on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.