cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quiet side of the Smokies

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever heard the phrase quiet side of the Smokies? I’ve heard it before but not sure if it was on RV NET or somewhere else. I’m curious as to what towns are on the quiet side. If anyone can help, I’d sure appreciate it.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience
14 REPLIES 14

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Don't want to miss Cade's Cove. We went through on bicycles on the morning cars were prohibited. Don't remember what morning of the week it was. It was very exciting. We saw several squirrels, a rabbit and a black snake. Great exercise and we ran into some people who actually saw a deer.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last month we spent a few days at Smoky Bear rv Park just outside Gatlinburg, our first time in the area. On a Tuesday around noon we decided to go into town. We couldn't believe all the traffic congestion. Couldn't wait to get out of there. Never again.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the KOA in Townsend this spring. Very nice and well run park. The area was very quiet, but may be less so in warmer weather because I saw several tubing outfitters along the Little River in town.

We visited Gatlinburg and Great Smoky Mountain NP from there. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg looked like too much traffic for me.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
First time to RV in the Smokies was in Gatlinburg. Never again.
Have stayed around Townsend the last 3 times. Once at Cove Mountain and twice at Cove Creek. Next time will be at Up the Creek. Reserve early.
https://www.upthecreekrvcamp.com/
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
LibertyMan wrote:
Just left yesterday from a camping trip in Townsend. We stayed at the KOA but have stayed in others along the river. Love the area and is hardly ever crowded (at least in the off season). Numerous places to eat as well. I could care less about going into Gatlinburg, way too crowded. My wife talked me into going just one time and people just seem to walk like cattle up and down the side walk on the main strip with no particular place to go or do. Never again!! I prefer the Townsend side and do my walking on the numerous trails that are in and around Cades Cove.
Amen! That is my feelings exactly. We loved Cades Cove and went in every pull over, building and read every historical sign we could. Now we need to go back, I'm homesick!

LibertyMan
Explorer
Explorer
Just left yesterday from a camping trip in Townsend. We stayed at the KOA but have stayed in others along the river. Love the area and is hardly ever crowded (at least in the off season). Numerous places to eat as well. I could care less about going into Gatlinburg, way too crowded. My wife talked me into going just one time and people just seem to walk like cattle up and down the side walk on the main strip with no particular place to go or do. Never again!! I prefer the Townsend side and do my walking on the numerous trails that are in and around Cades Cove.
2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
We are local to that area. Townsend markets itself as the Quiet Side of the Smokies. Our fav CG there is Big Meadow CG which is right on the river and next door to a rafting company. Its also our fav place to do Thanksgiving as everyone there brings a dish to the hall and the CG supplies the meats.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always camp at ELKMONT in the NatlPark and visit Townsend for supplies...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Even the quiet side is getting a lot noisier than it used to be. We enjoy the Townsend area.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought would have been Townsend and Caves Cove.

In Waynesville, NC (right near Maggie Valley) is a campground called Pride RV Resort...very nice.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed in Townsend a couple years ago when we went to the Smokies. I don't remember the name of the campground but, it was the last one before we entered the park. Right on a beautiful little stream. Cades Cove was a short drive as well as the Scenic View drive on the westside of the park. Had a great time and there was still plenty of people but, not terribly congested like Gatlinburg is.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The part that they call the Quiet Side of the Smokies is actually Wears Valley, and Townsend Tenn. When you drive thru. There is even a big sign proclaiming it to be true. It also contains Cade's Cove. There are several CGs on the river. Last we were there. It was a very nice area.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
The quiet side of the Smokies to me are Maggie Valley and Cataloochee on the North Carolina side and Townsend on the Tennessee side. Less developed and crowded than Gatlinburg Pigeon Forge. Several campgrounds in both areas. Have never stayed at any so I can not recommend any.