cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Algodones dental work and prescriptions?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

We are considering a trip to Algodones for dental work. Likely either three root canals and crowns or simply three (3rd molar) extractions. Depending on what the dentist says.

I have a concern regarding pain medication. Here in Eastern Washington my healthcare providers have, with good cause, become more strict with pain medication. Unfortunately, they have clamped down to the point that patients with legitimate need are, at times, denied effective pain management.

If I go to the dentist in Mexico, can I get appropriate pain medication and will I have trouble at the border? I am not talking about trying to cross the border with 100 Oxycontin. Just the appropriate amount to keep me from being miserable for a few days till things settle down.

Not feeling good at home sucks. Not feeling good in a strange hotel room sucks ten fold.

I spent a week sick in a motel in Kansas earlier this year. My only escape from the motel room were miserable trips (3) to the emergency room. Too sick to travel, I was stuck.

I NEVER want to have an experience like that again.

OK... I'm rambling.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Stephen
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
16 REPLIES 16

Talleyho69
Vacation in Mexico and have it done here. You'll have a great time and probably, with the price differences, have a free vacation!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:
I have had three root canals over the last 35 years and I had significant pain afterwards.
I really don't recall much post-op pain, but then my memory may be a big foggy. I certainly do remember never being given pain medication.

I just had to have #5 pulled. I was RCed 6 years ago, then about a year ago it cracked (according to CT scan), causing what I thought was tooth pain but was really gum irritation and infection. Intermittent for months, then pretty steady pain from pressure at every meal. Not pleasant. Probably going to get an implant, but at $4 grand a pop, Mexico may be in my future, but I kinda hope not.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I've had 2 Rc's - not in MX - and since they take out the root, there shouldn't be any pain. The pain came 4 years later when the tooth cracked and irritated the gum.

My advice for taking things back across the border is, don't declare it. I don't really think the border is all that concerned about a few pain pills. A trunkful is a different story.

I must be going to the wrong dentists 🙂

I have had three root canals over the last 35 years and I had significant pain afterwards.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
I doubt opioids are going to be required for std root canal, extraction, or crowns -
No, they're not. Just make sure there's plenty of novocaine in the chair!

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Tylex is the same asTylenol. Bring your own from the USA, Much cheaper. There is a Tylex that contains Codene but it is a controlled substance. Some dentists just tell you to take a combination of Tylenol and Ibuporofen. It is a mega dose. You can look it up on Google.

Moisheh

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt opioids are going to be required for std root canal, extraction, or crowns - never have had to use and unfortunately I have had too much experience. The exception to the rule is when you have impacted wisdom teeth.
Kevin

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
I agree with you on your points.

We gave up US dentists after our first visit to one in Mexico. Gentler hands, among other things.

I don't think that narcotic pain killers are available here, and if they are, the pharmacy will know all about entering the US with them and provide the properdocumentation.

I also very strongly agree with your statement, "Personally, I wouldn't declare that you have a pain killer unless they ask what it is."

NEVER volunteer any information that is not requested when crossing any border. Take off your hat and sunglasses. Hold out your passport and answer any questions asked truthfully.

Check out the Sticky Easy Border Crossing Tips. Good luck with your dental adventure, you'll be very pleased with the results. Moderator

Agree with all points. Encountering border guards, my approach is exactly the same as my approach if I am stopped by an LEO, or am before a judge. I don't have a story to tell, don't speak unless spoken to, other than hello. I keep my trap shut and just answer any questions, politely, honestly, and right to the point. As She said, take off hat and sunglasses. When we drive up to the border guard, we have both passports ready to hand to him, with them open to the page with picture and personal information.

Talleyho69
I agree with you on your points.

We gave up US dentists after our first visit to one in Mexico. Gentler hands, among other things.

I don't think that narcotic pain killers are available here, and if they are, the pharmacy will know all about entering the US with them and provide the properdocumentation.

I also very strongly agree with your statement, "Personally, I wouldn't declare that you have a pain killer unless they ask what it is."

NEVER volunteer any information that is not requested when crossing any border. Take off your hat and sunglasses. Hold out your passport and answer any questions asked truthfully.

Check out the Sticky Easy Border Crossing Tips. Good luck with your dental adventure, you'll be very pleased with the results. Moderator

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Granted that opioids are not prescribed by the densist, but there are good pain medications over the counter with a dentists prescription, one being Tylex 750 (Paracetamol) they come in a box of 40 tablets, this quantity will not be frowned upon with the original prescription and the receipt from the dentists office visit by the customs officer, as long as you are up front and not try to hide the pills, hiding the pills is a crime but being up front the worst will be that they confiscate them.

navegator

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Opioids and narcotics are available but not from a normal pharmacy. Those Farmacias are usually attached to a hospital. The prescription must come from a special Dr. Like a anesthesiologist. My surgeon had to get his anesthesiologist to write the script. I doubt a dentist can help.

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
In order to cross back to the US from the dentist visit, have the receipt and a business card from the dentist as proof of the visit and ask the the dentist for a written prescription, at the pharmacy when you purchase the pain medicine ask the pharmasist to make a copy for theire records and to return the original perscription to you.

At the border you now have the the proof of the doctors visit and the prescription that he gave you to be able to purchase pain medication that is stronger than a Tylenol dose.

Pain medication is now controlled, if the pharmacy is following the letter of the law they will ask you for a document that they will register on the prescription note that they retain, do not forget to ask for the original back and ask them to write that it has been filled in Spanish.

navegator

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I have gone to Los Algodones for over 3 years now to the dentist and have both had major work done and are very happy with the quality of work. This after I suffered bad work from an endodontist here in the US, who then refused to fix it, to make it right. This even after my regular dentist asked him to! We'll never go to an American dentist again. Now and then friends who find out we go to Mexico for our dental work, ask us if we aren't afraid of getting bad dental work. I reply that you can get bad dental work done anywhere, including in the US!

We have frequently purchased meds in Mexico when at the dentist, but never narcotic class drugs. US Border agents always ask us why we were in Mexico and did you buy anything. I never offer to declare anything -- I just respond honestly to their questions and if they ask, show them our meds if any, and we have never had a problem. Anything we purchased in Mex we have right handy in the front seat to show them if they should ask (we drive in). I have seen people cross into the US with fairly large bags of meds!

Yes, if they will give you a pain killer scrip, keep a copy of the scrip, and if at all possible, in English, as someone said. Personally, I wouldn't declare that you have a pain killer unless they ask what it is.

My suggestion would be on your way in, BEFORE you even go to the dentist, to ask them at one of the large pharmacies about crossing the border into the US with those kind of meds, and also ask them if they have them in stock if you get a scrip. We go to the large Purple Pharmacy, right there when you enter the country. They will advise you there about crossing the border with meds. I have never brought narcotic class drugs across the border, but I have had conversations with them, and found they are very knowledgeable and honest -- my assessment of their attitude is that they don't want any Gringo customers getting in trouble at the border any more than the customer does! -- word of such an incident would surely get around and it would be very bad for business!

Good luck!

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:
If I go to the dentist in Mexico, can I get appropriate pain medication and will I have trouble at the border?

There is no single answer as it depends on several things. You are also at the mercy of the border agent's discretion. Based on a few years ago, this is my suggestion.

Have the doctor prescribe the medication in English on their prescription pad or letterhead with a copy of it for you to keep. Don't leave the pharmacy or doctor's office without a copy of the original prescription.

Obtain only the amount necessary for suitable pain management. A 10 to 20 day supply should be the max. If I know I most likely may only need a day or two of medication, I ask them to only provide a proscription for 5 or 7 days.

Make sure you are receiving medication that is also approved for use in the USA under the proper name. Make sure all medication is properly labeled as to dose, number of pills and proper name of the medication. If the border agents cant't figure out what you have, they may confiscate it.

At the border, have it handy with all documentation and declare it. I practice the airport approach, have it in a bag ready for inspection.

Normally, it's not that big a deal if you're not acting squirrelly or suspiciously. Also I find trying to be too friendly and chummy could lead to a secondary inspection just because of your 7 pills.

Oh, one thing as a side note. You'll be surprised that some reputable medical practices along the border are actually under contract with US health insurance plans. Make sure to ask when setting an appointment if they accept any US plans.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 2 Rc's - not in MX - and since they take out the root, there shouldn't be any pain. The pain came 4 years later when the tooth cracked and irritated the gum.

My advice for taking things back across the border is, don't declare it. I don't really think the border is all that concerned about a few pain pills. A trunkful is a different story.