cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDA announces Dog Foods that can cause heart failure UPDATE

dturm
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has released a list of pet food brands that they say could cause congestive heart failure in dogs.
In July 2018, the FDA first alerted the public about an investigation that found a possible link between dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) and dogs eating certain types of pet food.
Canine DCM is described as the disease of a dog’s heart muscle, can often result in congestive heart failure.
Breeds that are typically affected are large and giant breed dogs, according to the FDA. However, many of the 524 cases of DCM reported to the FDA have included smaller breeds of dogs, suggesting a lack of a genetic connection.
In many cases, food linked to DCM was in dry form and contained ingredients including peas, lentils, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Many others were grain-free.

WHDH Story
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV
9 REPLIES 9

dturm
UPDATE:

A recent continuing meeting with Dr. Green from Purdue Vet school relayed some current thinking on this issue.

Certain breeds are over-represented, Golden Retrievers are most represented.

Grain free foods are implicated, some brands more than others (sorry I don't have the list).

Taurine supplementation can stop many but not all cases, so they suspect that there is something more than just taurine deficiency going on.

THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT: Damage done is NOT reversible when diagnosis is made and treatment is started (taurine and heart medications). Progression of the cardiomyopathy is usually stopped but not reversed.

I think the message is clear. DO NOT FEED GRAIN FREE FOOD TO GOLDENS. In other breeds, it's a poor choice.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
xteacher - you may want to consider yeast overgrowth as the cause of the itching. Dry kibble is formed with binding agents that are carbs/grains which can contribute. Even the wheat, corn, soy free products. Just a thought as your symptoms in our dog turned out to be yeast. Antibiotic treatment was required to get the yeast under control and low carb diet. The probiotic was actually contributing because of the yeast organisms contained in it. We had also taken her off beef, chicken, dairy but it was none of those things. Just a thought.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a (yellow) labrador retriever, one of the targeted breeds in this study. I've had a hard time finding a kibble Lido can eat, because he has multiple sensitivities/allergies, including chicken (NASTY poo, despite probiotics) and grains (INSANE itching, even formulas w/out corn, wheat, and soy). He also likely has environmental allergies - sigh... I'm going to get him allergy tested, so see exactly what's what.

Finding a kibble without chicken and grains, that does not include peas, lentils, or potatoes has been a real challenge. I finally settled on Earthborn Venture Pollack Meal & Pumpkin. It's the only one I've found without any offending ingredients.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for keeping us up to date on this!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dturm
As a possible cause that is under investigation is the nutrient Taurine. It is not considered an essential nutrient for dogs, but is for cats. DCM is common in cats (compared to dogs) and is treated with taurine.

These dogs have been treated with taurine as well. There are a few breed that have DCM (not related to the food issues) and they respond in many cases to taurine supplementation if diagnosed before serious permanent heart damage happens.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

dturm
The report was a compilation of all the reported cases of DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy). The way these things are done is to extensively question owners about EVERYTHING and then evaluate any statistical relevent coincidences. The next step is to find out why.

I'd say the brand is not as important as the ingredients. I don't feed my dogs (and don't recommend) grain free foods unless there is a specific reason (celiac disease or allergies to specific grains).

According to the data, 91 percent of the cases were on grain free foods and most of those were pea/lentil as a component.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
"This study paid for by Purina dog chow company" !!...just kidding....ummmm, but would not surprise me!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I have always tried to pick decent Doggie food but with all the recalls and now this report on dry foods(many listed are typically Top of the line foods)….so where does that leave us? Our older Cavaliers are already prone to CHF...and I always ask, when traveling, and our dogs have a Vet visit, what foods they suggest. As of now, all our kids get Science Diet small breed( it is one of the prescription ones) and Merrick canned. I see Merrick is on the list but indicates "dry" on the report. Hopefully I'm OK...if not, back to the drawing board.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Yippee, Inga's food not on the list! Now to go get a bowl of popcorn and enjoy the show.. 🙂

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L