cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dexter Axle Electric Brakes

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018, 38' 5th wheel. Recently I was making a hard U-turn and apparently my break-away cable pulled out and my trailer brakes went on. I didn't realize it and drove approx. 1/2 mile and stopped. My trailer brakes were hot and smoking and I knew what had happened. Now, I have minimal braking occurring even though I set the brake controller to max braking inside the truck. I believe these brakes are self-adjusting which brings me to my question. Does this self-adjusting just happen on its own, or do I need to do something? Like drive and hit the brakes hard a few times...etc...
15 REPLIES 15

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest way to troubleshoot the brakes is with an ampmeter - 3 amps maximum per brake magnet. If they're not able to draw that much power, they're not working. I agree with pulling the drums to have a look to see if everything still looks good. Don't bother replacing parts, buy a new backing plate with all new parts - they're not very expensive. https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Brakes-sf-Electric_Drum_Brakes.aspx
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Your magnets are probably severly worn along with the shoes being glazed and/or cracked. I would just order new backing plate assemblies so everything gets replaced. Regardless of what you had, go for the new forward adjusting units. They work far better.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Defiantly pull the drums.

You may have got things hot enough that the grease seal has failed and you may find grease everywhere.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jbrack wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Your brakes were not adjusted properly, you would have known it the instant the brake away popped if they were!!!

Which brings me back to my original question...these brakes are self-adjusting...what does that process look like? Is it automatic, or do I need to do something in the way I drive to make it happen?

They simply don't work!!! Do it the old fashion way.

jbrack asked a valid question.

It deserves a better explanation than "to do it the old fashion way".

Jbrack, self adjusting drum brakes are nothing new, been around for many yrs on automobiles which used drum brakes. So you can check out how the automobile self adjusting drum brakes to understand trailer axle self adjusting drum brakes. Understanding that how the brakes are actuated is different (hydraulic for auto and electromagnet for trailer axle).

You can go HERE for a simple overview of an automobile self adjusting brake works.

Now to get to Cummins comment, you have to realize that anyone that may have driven a vehicle which had drums on all four corners will have a lot less "excitement" when it comes to the highly touted "self adjusting" trailer axle brakes..

Self adjusting drum brakes on autos do not have a stellar track record for being 100% reliable and often would fail to adjust properly in unison on at least one drum..

Was a lot of fun when that happened to be on one of the front drums on your steering and you stepped on the brakes and resulted in catapulting you off the road or across the road into apposing traffic at the most inopportune time...

Adjusters over time tend to get stuck from lack of movement, this often was caused by the star wheel screw threads rusting, dirt from grease on the threads. Sometimes even the star wheel would end up having a few of the points worn off if stuck..

Often the wire which pulls the pawl across the star wheel rust off, break or jamb rendering the adjuster useless. Drums which are too far out of round (too much "runout") can also prevent the adjusters from working properly.

For trailer axle brakes you do not have to do anything special, they are designed to adjust in forward and reverse.

With auto drum brakes you simply had to backup for a short distance then apply the brake hard.

For the little amount of miles towing a RV vs what you would drive an automobile I can't find any real reason to intentionally buy auto adjusting trailer brakes.. Autos often see 12,000-20,000 miles per yr but your trailer most likely will be far less than that and a lot less wear on the brakes.

I rarely have to adjust my trailer brakes and finally replaced the original brakes on my 30+ yr old TT due to a cracked shoe.. I am always puzzled how folks burn through the trailer brakes in only a couple of yrs..

I see the self adjusting trailer brake feature as an expensive gimmick sold to folks who are afraid of drum brakes, do not understand the brakes are just too lazy to do some basic and simple maintenance.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have found that the new forward adjusting brakes on my TT work great. I check them at the end of the season but no further adj is needed.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
jbrack wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Your brakes were not adjusted properly, you would have known it the instant the brake away popped if they were!!!

Which brings me back to my original question...these brakes are self-adjusting...what does that process look like? Is it automatic, or do I need to do something in the way I drive to make it happen?

That is a pretty new trailer. Were the self adjusting brakes properly adjusted (manually) when new? After initial manual adjustment, the auto adjust should do it's job.

I agree, full on emergency braking should be quite obvious, if they were properly adjusted.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jbrack wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

They simply don't work!!! Do it the old fashion way.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The way they adjust depends on the model. Some auto adj when you apply the brakes going backwards and some of the newest ones do so moving Forward.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they are self adjusting the will adjust every time you use the brakes if they need it. Something must not have been very well adjusted or you would not have been able to drive a 1/2 mile before realizing what had happened. You need to take a good look and see what has happened like others have said.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
To answer your question, the brakes only adjust when the wheels are turning and you step on the brake pedal. But if the linings are severely out of adjustment it can take many stops to adjust them out. In your case I would also suggest having the drums pulled and the brakes and wiring inspected and then the brakes manually adjusted.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blawless
Explorer
Explorer
To be safe, jack it up and take your hubs off and inspect the brake shoes, pivot points and wiring to the magnet actuator. With all that heat you could have melted a wire connection and its grounding out or fused up your pivot points which will need lub to free them up. Check your brake pads as well depending on previous use they may be worn down and need replacing. They may have been glazed by the heat as well making them useless. With any brake issues it's best to take them apart and see what damage occurred, you have a heavy 38 footer good brakes are a necessity!! I guess what I'm saying is there's no short cut fixes, take it apart and have a look.
Retired and enjoying it!

2005 Coachmen Aurora 3380 MBS Class A F53 V10 Banks Power System.
2014 Jeep Compass Toad
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 255B 5th wheel
2003 F150 King Ranch Supercrew 4X4