cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice Controlled Travel Trailer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
It is a World first, Voice controlled Travel Trailer ( Caravan)
As well BIMPO is introducing its smart Caravan technology to US manufacturers
Turning Caravans/ Travel Trailers into Smart ones
49 REPLIES 49

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I’m in Italy at the moment. I can only imagine how a self-driving car would function here in the land of driving rules, regulations, stop signs, red lights, etc. are just suggestions and are to be ignored. Though seemingly chaotic at times, traffic flows, hardly anyone gets in an accident and aggressive driving does well. It’s actually impressive.
For my camper, I want it as simple as possible.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
HAL was just a bit to the left of IBM....

I’m sure that was just coincidence...
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Given the average driver's intelligence, skill and attention span, self driving cars will have markedly lower incidents than human driven cars.
Problem is, now the liability for every accident and injury would end up residing with the manufacturer or some subsidiary, even if every buyer had to sign a notarized release at the time of purchase.
It will be a mess if it ever comes to fruition. Heck, the owners of self driving cars and the mfgs will also be getting sued left and right by people driving human driven cars. "That self driven car stopped, accelerated, turned, avoided ____ so quickly I couldn't react in time!"

Here's your paycheck you leech, next in line?
Heck, I turned off the active collision avoidance in the wifes new car for that reason. Yes it could save rear ending someone, no doubt, but (it's also not an average car 6 piston and 4 piston Brembos do a real quick job of stopping it) in the first few months of ownership, it "sensed" an obstacle but didn't "sense" what the driver (me or the wife) were thinking or doing and dropped the hammer on the brakes at really in opportune moments. The only reason 2 of the instances didn't result in us getting rear ended was because the drivers behind us were lolly gaggin in traffic and actually leaving too much following distance, thankfully.

It was good for getting flipped off and threatened, rightfully so, by someone who though you brake checked them hard when they weren't even tailgating.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
HAL was just a bit to the left of IBM....
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:

I said nothing about expecting self driving to be perfect - I actually agree with you on that point. As long as there are humans involved on the roads, automated driving will be involved in accidents.

But look at the post where I brought up the story;

JRscooby wrote:
winniman wrote:
I cant wait until we have driverless cars driving all over. How many people are going to die trying to get the bugs out of that one. "Home James"

Well look at how many decades have we been trying to "get the bugs out" of human drivers? And how many millions have died?
At one time there where 3 cars in Kansas City, all owned by doctors. 2 of them collided hard enough had to be hauled away by teams.

I simply asked about your source of the accident you referred to because it is very similar to a story of "the first car accident" describing two cars colliding - however upon research, the accident was a single car accident where the driver hit a tree stump and destroyed a tire. Not exactly the "only two cars in town and they hit each other" disaster it's made out to be.

And here something is missed. there where 3 cars in Kansas City, I have no doubt that before 2 cars collided, there where hundreds, if not thousands of accidents where cars hit other things. Also I would be surprised if each other was the first thing the 2 cars hit. And I bet KC was not the location for the first 2 car collision...

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Voice controled RV made by Lippert, I think I'll pass.

I can see someone saying (I need to take a dump), trailers response (dumping holding tanks now) no Alexa I'm still in the garage.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I'd sure love to see the source of that story...

Well, I listened to a interview with a Kansas City historian on the Walt Bodine show on the local NPR station. I got the book, and found the story. She listed the names of the DRs, the date which intersection on Gladstone Boulevard it happened.
I read, and passed on the book years ago, don't remember name of book or author.
But your belief or not of that story does not change the fact that humans have had over a hundred years and are still crashing. To expect self driving to be perfect out of box is irrational.

I said nothing about expecting self driving to be perfect - I actually agree with you on that point. As long as there are humans involved on the roads, automated driving will be involved in accidents.

I simply asked about your source of the accident you referred to because it is very similar to a story of "the first car accident" describing two cars colliding - however upon research, the accident was a single car accident where the driver hit a tree stump and destroyed a tire. Not exactly the "only two cars in town and they hit each other" disaster it's made out to be.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:

Well, I listened to a interview with a Kansas City historian on the Walt Bodine show on the local NPR station. I got the book, and found the story. She listed the names of the DRs, the date which intersection on Gladstone Boulevard it happened.
I read, and passed on the book years ago, don't remember name of book or author.
But your belief or not of that story does not change the fact that humans have had over a hundred years and are still crashing. To expect self driving to be perfect out of box is irrational.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
winniman wrote:
I cant wait until we have driverless cars driving all over. How many people are going to die trying to get the bugs out of that one. "Home James"

Well look at how many decades have we been trying to "get the bugs out" of human drivers? And how many millions have died?
At one time there where 3 cars in Kansas City, all owned by doctors. 2 of them collided hard enough had to be hauled away by teams.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does this work when there is no cell signal? If not, it's not very useful for those of us who boondock much of the time.

It's interesting how many of us are repelled by this idea. Chances are, though, that those of us who post are not a representative sample. Tech-savvy folks, who love voice control, are probably not even reading this thread.

It's also generational -- I am against automation, while my sons (in their 30s) love it.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

siamese
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of thoughts:

- Really just a gimmick
- Is it really a good idea to add complexity to a product with marginal quality?

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes my camper is voice controlled.
My wife will say get me another cup of coffee while your up.
I get up and pour her coffee.
45 years of marriage and counting...