cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using the jack without the battery

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I removed my battery to get my RV ready for winter. I go to use the jack and it won't work. It didn't matter whether it was hooked up to AC power or plugged into my truck, it would not work. Is that normal?
14 REPLIES 14

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
DrewE wrote:
It depends on the details of how its wired. If it connects directly to the battery (perhaps sharing the connection for the breakaway brake system), then it makes perfect sense. I suspect it is normal for your trailer.

Actually, that seems like a good setup to me, at least in general concept, as it helps to prevent someone from pulling the trailer without a battery for the breakaway brakes.

The breakaway does not work like that. It requires battery power to activate the brakes. And the jacks have a manual over ride. So the lack of battery is probably not a good theft deterrent.

I wasn't meaning as a theft deterrent, but as a bad choice deterrent, though that probably wasn't the clearest from what I wrote. That is, in case someone wishes to move their trailer from here to there but doesn't care to be bothered to install the battery (or replace a dead one), and so pulls it without a working breakaway brake system. Having the electric jack operate in the same way makes that less of a desirable option and so might increase safety.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Mine is wired directly to the battery. But I believe you can crank it by hand. No fun I suspect.

Same here. Won't work without the battery
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
It depends on the details of how its wired. If it connects directly to the battery (perhaps sharing the connection for the breakaway brake system), then it makes perfect sense. I suspect it is normal for your trailer.

Actually, that seems like a good setup to me, at least in general concept, as it helps to prevent someone from pulling the trailer without a battery for the breakaway brakes.

The breakaway does not work like that. It requires battery power to activate the brakes. And the jacks have a manual over ride. So the lack of battery is probably not a good theft deterrent.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
With the battery not there, collect all the wire terminals that go on its positive post and join them with vise grips or a nut and bolt.

Now the converter will have a path to the jacks. This assumes the jacks are on a different wire that goes to the positive post. Assumes the jacks and the converter each has a negative path to the frame.

I will try that in spring. The trailer is good where it is and I am not running power to it this winter.

My plastic battery box is screwed down, so as long as the +ve does not touch those screws or the -ve wires, I am good.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jumper cables from the truck battery to the battery terminals on the trailer. Like the above post states, don't let them touch anything else metal. And I would unhook the A/C power before doing it.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
With the battery not there, collect all the wire terminals that go on its positive post and join them with vise grips or a nut and bolt.

Now the converter will have a path to the jacks. This assumes the jacks are on a different wire that goes to the positive post. Assumes the jacks and the converter each has a negative path to the frame.

Do take care if you do this that the vice grips or nut and bolt don't short out to the chassis of the RV!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
I removed my battery to get my RV ready for winter. I go to use the jack and it won't work. It didn't matter whether it was hooked up to AC power or plugged into my truck, it would not work. Is that normal?

Yes. Mine is the same way. Same for the slides.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
A socket and cordless drill will run it up and down.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
It's provided with a manual crank.

It's wired directly to the battery.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is wired directly to the battery. But I believe you can crank it by hand. No fun I suspect.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about front jacks in a fifth wheel? leveling jacks? Converters vary in their power output (30 amp., 55 amp., etc.) and that may not be enough to power a jack motor.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

Unless you have a 3/4" socket. That's how I moved it.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer