Did you mean: 

What a bunch of junk.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
From todays RV Business report

Report: ‘NHTSA’ Releases Latest List of RV Recalls
By: RVBusiness|Published on: Nov 18, 2019|Categories: Today’s Industry News|

The following is the latest list of RV recalls compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

• Airstream Inc. is recalling 1,888 2019-2020 Sport, Nest, Flying Cloud, International Serenity, International Signature, Classic, Globetrotter and Tommy Bahama trailers and 2020 Basecamp, Bambi and Caravel trailers. Due to improper welding, the Demco ball coupler installed on the travel trailers may not provide enough clamping force on the tow ball, potentially causing the coupler to separate from the tow ball.

• Thor Motor Coach (TMC) is recalling 378 2019-2020 Chateau 22B, 22E, 23U, 24F, 25V, and 28A, Daybreak 22GO, Four Winds 22B, 22E, 24F, 26B and 28A, Freedom Elite 22HE and 2020 Quantum GR22, and SE22 motorhomes. The seatbelt-unfastened warning light will not illuminate for approximately five seconds after the ignition is moved to the “on” or “start” position. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 208, “Occupant Crash Protection.”

• Keystone RV Co. is recalling 157 2019-2020 Crossroads Sunset trailers, model 242BH. The interior range cooktop is installed in a cabinet that may not be entirely sealed from the furnace cavity. As a result, during furnace operation, the interior range cooktop burner flame may invert.

• Forest River Inc. is recalling 41 2020 EVO, Salem and Wildwood travel trailers. The trailer cooktops were installed with a rubber liquid propane (LP) gas line instead of a copper one.

• Forest River is recalling 27 2020 East to West Delta Terra (model 312BH) and East to West Silver Lake (model 31KBH) recreational trailers. The overhead bunk fasteners may not be properly secured to the backer board of the bunk.

• Forest River is recalling 19 2020 Surveyor trailers, model SVT33KFKDS. A fuse of the incorrect amperage was installed for the 12V refrigerator, potentially allowing the wiring to overheat.

• Forest River is recalling 14 2017 Dynamax DX3 and Force motorhomes. The front axle stabilizer bracket may not properly mount to the axle, and may break as a result.
13 REPLIES 13

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
You can download the complete NHTSA/ODI recall database.

It's a tabbed text file (145,795 lines) that you can drop into Excel.

Holiday Rambler defects are my personal favorites . . .

THE WELDING OF THE MOUNTING BRACKET OF THE GASOLINE TANK COULD FAIL TO PROPERLY SECURE THE FUEL TANK. IF THE MOUNTING BRACKET FAILS FUEL LEAKAGE AND POSSIBLE SEPARATION OF THE TANK FROM THE VEHICLE MAY OCCUR. (1978)

THE L.P. GAS HOSE MAY COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE SPRING HANGER ON THE CHASSIS SUSPENSION SYSTEM OR THE SHIELD BETWEEN THE L.P. TANK AND THE EXHAUST SYSTEM. THIS COULD CAUSE RUPTURE OF THE L.P. GAS HOSE AND ALLOW RAW PROPANE TO ESCAPE. (1975)
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
…… One of the most common is the tire/axle GVWR issues. Weight stickers and tires/axles are mismatched. …..

Mmmmmm …...

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! Apparently none of you have paid attention to car recalls!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Imagine how high those numbers would be if shoddy parts or workmanship was subject to recall. Or just imagine a percentage cause that number is more easily imaginable.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Have recalls such as these been happening consistantly over time? Or is this something new?
Has something changed which is forcing manufacturers to acknowledge and take responsibilities for their errors?

I seriously doubt you can find a week without either an RV, Car or Pickup truck (or larger) being "recalled".. Many of the recalls are petty. some are serious. IT is important your RV (And cars) be properly registered with the manufacturer.

Short story: Serious recall on my RV (Fire hazard) I did not get the letter because the dealer which said "We will do all the registrations" did not.. Thankfully I learned about it on line. contacted my contact at the manufacturer and got an E-mail copy of the letter. Went to the Authorized service center and they ask if I got the part (Which they had in stock and which went out with the recall letter) I told 'em the above and they said "Can't do it without the part" I told 'em schedule the job and re-called my contact. Turns out my house was between his house and his office.. He dropped the part off on his way home.. I taped it to his card and 2 weeks later handed it in to the shop.... After that I got GREAT service from the shop. (My contact was the national customer service manager for Workhorse. he's the one who decides IF you are an authorized service center).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Have recalls such as these been happening consistantly over time? Or is this something new?
Has something changed which is forcing manufacturers to acknowledge and take responsibilities for their errors?

I've been getting their daily updates for 4-5 years. One of the most common is the tire/axle GVWR issues. Weight stickers and tires/axles are mismatched. All the other recalls can be almost anything.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

It's always happened, but a year or two ago- Forest River got fined quite a lot for not properly reporting recall situations to the NHTSA. I think that lit the fire under more manufacturers to initiate recalls more properly.

Thanks, had not seen anything about this before, just the low quality rants. At least some progress, however small, may be being made.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer

It's always happened, but a year or two ago- Forest River got fined quite a lot for not properly reporting recall situations to the NHTSA. I think that lit the fire under more manufacturers to initiate recalls more properly.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
RECALLS.....the 'standard' in manufactoring processes.

Look at the Auto Industry.
Years and Millions of vehicles across the spectrum entry level to high end

Heck even have recalls on waffle irons, dog food, Lettuce etc

RVs nothing new.

No REAL penalty in Recalls to the MFG.
If so they would no longer be in business (YEAH!) or would just get bailed out (bankruptcy, gov. etc)

Consumer left holding the bag....which is probably under a recall too!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Those are pretty low numbers, once past the Airstream and Freightliner chassis issues.
-- Chris Bryant

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
These would be the Chassis MFG Recall not the RV builder.

• Thor Motor Coach (TMC) is recalling 378 2019-2020 Chateau 22B, 22E, 23U, 24F, 25V, and 28A, Daybreak 22GO, Four Winds 22B, 22E, 24F, 26B and 28A, Freedom Elite 22HE and 2020 Quantum GR22, and SE22 motorhomes. The seatbelt-unfastened warning light will not illuminate for approximately five seconds after the ignition is moved to the “on” or “start” position. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 208, “Occupant Crash Protection.”
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Airstream looks like the wrong part was pulled, but everything else sounds like workmanship. Given these are new models, and not knowing the associate processes- I wonder if internal QA caught these, a safety inspector did, or the consumer experienced the issue and then the recall came through.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.