cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless migration to RVs creating problems

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be a trend for the homeless to get an old RV and live on the streets. County officials admit their hands are are tied as they do not have proper laws in place to deal with the problem. Nor do they have the proper funds. Our county estimates it costs $3,000 to tow and salvage an abandoned RV. Private landowners with RVers squatting on their property are also having problems. Towing companies will not remove the rigs as they know they won't get paid.

It looks to be a growing problem without an easy financial solution. Will we start seeing salvage taxes on our RV registration renewals?
145 REPLIES 145

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Way off track now.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
bid_time wrote:
You sure have a lot of animosity for the "Money Works for Them" people.

Maybe some, would not say I have more animosity in total than the average working American. But unlike many, I do not direct any of that animosity toward the black, brown, green or another group trying to work for their money.

I've worked for over 50 years. I put money away and invested it as I went along. I didn't spend it on booze. I paid tax on that money as I put it away, and I pay tax on the capital gains NOW. And that tax rate is 5 times more then the tax rate 50% of the taxpayers are paying. I'm proud to be a "Money Works for Them" person. I earned it.

Good on you. I also worked over 50 years. And in those years I passed out more 1040s than I collected. Because I hired people to work for me, some would put me in the class "Job creater". But I know I saw a job that needed done, bought the tool needed and found somebody will to let me make money off their work.
And now I'm also one that gets most of my income from my money working for me...

Oh so you do not have any "animosity" towards Dr. Ben Carson, MLK, football player Jim Brown? How they made their money and are successful.

Herman Cain, former President of the National Restaurant Association?

How about the former President Barack Obama and his wife? No animosity for how they got their millions in wealth?

No animosity towards Colonel Allen West?

How about some of the actors who made millions? Morgan Freeman, Eddie Murphy, Denzel Washington? James Earl Jones?

How about Oprah Winfrey? She made millions.

Wally Amos Jr., Famous Amos Cookies?

They all "tried" to work for their money and were quite successful at it.

I am sure they all filed their taxes, TOOK every tax advantage they could to pay less tax as possible as they legally could to hold on to their hard earned money.

They also used their wealth to by their million dollar homes, yachts, cars, luxury vacations, gave to charities, and have a stack of cash in the bank and investments just like the select people you seem to have a lot of "animosity" towards. This list is no different than the one in your head.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
....snip....If the haters of wealth would take 10 seconds to actually engage their brains they would realize that it is very likely they, or someone they care about, has a good job only because of other people's wealth. And I am not even talking about being employed by a company that is owned or headed by a wealthy individual.
.......snip.....

The wealthy don't need thanks from the working class. Their money is their thanks. They don't need to be hated either, unless their behavior deserves it. Same as everyone else. That's what America is all about. We don't have to bow down to the rich and powerful, even the ones who think they are better than the rest of us because they have a few bucks.

To put poverty in perspective, all one has to do is look at the Dust Bowl of the 1930's. Plenty of smart hard working white folks couldn't make a living wage. Circumstances matter.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
You sure have a lot of animosity for the "Money Works for Them" people. I've worked for over 50 years. I put money away and invested it as I went along. I didn't spend it on booze. I paid tax on that money as I put it away, and I pay tax on the capital gains NOW. And that tax rate is 5 times more then the tax rate 50% of the taxpayers are paying. I'm proud to be a "Money Works for Them" person. I earned it. Some spent it on booze. Your bad decision is not my fault. Take responsibility for your decisions and quit being a hater on people that made good decisions.
If the haters of wealth would take 10 seconds to actually engage their brains they would realize that it is very likely they, or someone they care about, has a good job only because of other people's wealth. And I am not even talking about being employed by a company that is owned or headed by a wealthy individual.
At the local RV park, there are likely RVs that cost more than 95% of the population can afford. They are bought by those hated rich people, yet the poor salesman who sold it makes a commission that they then use to feed, house and entertain their families. If there wasn't a rich person to buy that RV, there wouldn't be people employed to make it. And those employees are your neighbors in Oklahoma (Newell Factory), Texas (Foretravel), Indiana (Elkhart) and similar middle American locations. I doubt I would be in business if it wasn't for people who have earned and saved more money than the average American because RVing is not a hobby for the poor.
Even the poster child for arrogant rich, Donald J. Trump, had dozens upon dozens of people making good income just from the fact that he was a wealthy prima donna. Before he became president I am sure the pilots, the mechanics, the catering company and all the other services related to his private jet were glad there was a rich person that owned and operated that jet and paid their salaries. I bet the guy who gilded the toilets in his penthouse made a nice paycheck for the job. Even the hair stylist who cut that mop on top of Trump's head was glad for a rich guy because he probably got $100+ for that haircut rather than making $10 for cutting Joe Lunchbucket's hair at Supercuts.
As a matter of fact, I bet even some of our resident rich hater's fellow truckers only have a job because they transport goods intended for the rich. Those lobsters, cases of Dom Perignon, Rolls Royces and Bentleys, solid gold toilets and pallets of hundred dollar bills don't move themselves.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
You sure have a lot of animosity for the "Money Works for Them" people.

Maybe some, would not say I have more animosity in total than the average working American. But unlike many, I do not direct any of that animosity toward the black, brown, green or another group trying to work for their money.

I've worked for over 50 years. I put money away and invested it as I went along. I didn't spend it on booze. I paid tax on that money as I put it away, and I pay tax on the capital gains NOW. And that tax rate is 5 times more then the tax rate 50% of the taxpayers are paying. I'm proud to be a "Money Works for Them" person. I earned it.

Good on you. I also worked over 50 years. And in those years I passed out more 1040s than I collected. Because I hired people to work for me, some would put me in the class "Job creater". But I know I saw a job that needed done, bought the tool needed and found somebody will to let me make money off their work.
And now I'm also one that gets most of my income from my money working for me...

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
You sure have a lot of animosity for the "Money Works for Them" people. I've worked for over 50 years. I put money away and invested it as I went along. I didn't spend it on booze. I paid tax on that money as I put it away, and I pay tax on the capital gains NOW. And that tax rate is 5 times more then the tax rate 50% of the taxpayers are paying. I'm proud to be a "Money Works for Them" person. I earned it. Some spent it on booze. Your bad decision is not my fault. Take responsibility for your decisions and quit being a hater on people that made good decisions.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somebody said this thread has become "haves vs have not". Not become, was from jump. Even a post about people that can't afford to park anyplace else causing laws to be passed prohibiting the people that can afford a campground from parking for free.
I have no doubt that my bad decisions have limited my opportunities. But I have to wonder if my lack of education has something to do with me not buying into many of the myths some have posted here.
Myth; Hard work will get you ahead, make you successful and well off. Nobody looks at the reality, most industries or business, the hardest work is done by the lowest paid workers. Compare a CEO to a large company to the janitor that cleans his office. That janitor works hard, and if his work does not meet expectation, say dust on a bookshelf, he is fired, left with nothing. But you say the CEO must make big decisions, has big responsibility. But if the CEO, makes bad decisions, say promise workers retirement benefits the company can't afford, the CEO might loose his job. But he will still most likely to leave with a package that would support the janitor and his grand kids for life. And the retired workers don't get what was promised.
Next myth My taxes are so high because of all the free stuff government gives away Nobody can even think about the fact it has been decided the only people that should pay taxes are the people that work for money. The people who's money works for them are taxed at a lower rate, if at all.
And the big myth; Foreigners are stealing our jobs! No they are not. The company owners and managers, are giving our jobs to the foreigners both here and in their home country. And they are doing it so they keep their high, unearned paycheck.
There are other myths, proved wrong, but brought up again and again. But because the come up at election time I best not list.

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
There are a billion variables we can all be born into. Not everyone gets the easy road, but we all get a road. It's not that hard to be a reasonably productive member of society, the vast majority of people manage to do it. No matter how bad your problems are, someone else has had it worse and succeeded. Saying no opportunity is available is just not trying hard enough except for a tiny few.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

Preconceived notions? Stereotypes? I don't think so.

We're not sure who discovered water, but we're certain it wasn't a fish.

What came first? The chicken or the egg?

I'm certain we will never know.

You have contributed a tremendous amount of input and wisdom into this thread...LOL

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

We're not sure who discovered water, but we're certain it wasn't a fish.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
This is a very interesting thread with some outstanding opinions.
Thank you to those that have done this; taking the time to give thoughtful posts.

Lakeside

Thank you, and I appreciate the positive input from those who care and are concerned for what is going on.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv

you nailed it. ๐Ÿ™‚

You put nothing in...you get nothing out.

It is not going to fall in your lap.

It's called "blood, sweat, and tears".

And we are all not going to be the CEO of a company.

But that does not mean someone else should pay my bills and GIVE me free stuff if I am not.

Many of people's problems in this world are self inflicted.

And those who truly need the help should get it. Too many liars and cheaters, milking they system and our generousity. Need to put a cap on it and send the message no more.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

We all have the same opportunities in this country.

Not hardly.

How not hardly? How so?

Read this from Forbes.

After reading the Forbes article, I came to the conclusion that non-profits and businesses are creating many NEW opportunities. The Declaration of Independence says our rights to Life, Liberty and the PURSUIT of Happiness (opportunity) come from our Creator. The key word therein is PURSUIT. You have to go after it, it ain't gonna fall in your lap.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

We all have the same opportunities in this country.

Not hardly.

How not hardly? How so?

You have a ton of preconceived notions, many of which are based on common stereotypes.

People from all walks of life make bad decisions that lead to bad outcomes. These problems to solve are not one size fits all and I never eluded that they are.