cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy Peasy OTR Meals

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you don't want to stop at a restaurant and you don't want a burger or other fast food.

Creating a thread where ideas for on-the-road meals can be posted. Criteria: nothing complicated, nothing needing too much assembly.

One of our favorite hacks is to get a rotisserie chicken from a grocery store. Fresh fruit and a slice of garlic bread nuked in the mw and we're good.

Easy cleanup, no pots, no major effort but sure is better than fast food.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
11 REPLIES 11

JasseJackson
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Pasta?
I like this recipe pasta sauce

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
There is a particular grocery store on the way to our campground that serves great fried chicken and smoked meatloaf in the deli. We stop and by one or the other and some sides for our first night dinner.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Another fun item for kids and adults -- NAAN bread. We will use a bit of oil on the bottom of the naan bread, add pizza sauce, toppings, cheese, etc. Heat in the toaster oven or even in a cast iron skillet with a lid. Those are quick and are also a great 1st nite meal.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
On travel days, we find a reststop or similar, and make sandwiches in the back (our old TT or the C). And as mentioned by the OP, the $5 rotisserie chickens are great...we de-bone before hand and have the chicken in a container that fits our fridge. Sometimes we can microwave the chicken, add some BBQ, and make a quick BBQ chicken sandwich. Awesome.

And as mentioned, 1st nite after a long travel day we rarely cook big. Usually, we will fry up hamburger, add taco seasoning, and do spoon tacos using Frito's. Takes like 10-15 mins and is fun.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many years of staying in truck day after day, and looking at used cars for sale and not. I made a rule when I bought my last pickup. No eating, only drink is coffee and water. There is marks on dash from DW's Coke, but still nobody eats. (Few years back wanted to downsize to 1 vehicle. Agreed she could drink her coke, but still can't sell the hamn car!)
On travel days we will pack what we need to fix and enjoy a hot meal just inside the tailgate. Find a place to stop, light the gas grill, chicken or chops, maybe open a can, dump in pan on one side of grill. Sometimes leftovers, or food cooked ahead of time. But no matter we spend some time outside wondering around, eat standing. Also will have mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack, eat outside.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
And throw the leftover chicken + a few veggies into a ramen soup. Great way to use up leftovers.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Before we go on a week or longer trip we always take a day and prepare some meals that we freeze and can pull out and heat up and be eating in 30 minutes or less. Things like maccaroni and cheese with meatballs or spaghetti and meatballs or goulash to stews and soups. The pre made meals are an easy thng to do. We package them in the small alumminum foil tins we pick up at the dollar store and they fit well in the RV freezer.

I give my wife a break and do most of the cooking when we travel. I use an induction cooktop with my cast iron and my grill and fix some great meals while we camp. I love my cast iron.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve been married for 44yrs first time my wife served instant potato,s was the last time. we do easy meal sandwich and some chips.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
A prepared roasted chicken from Walmart, then fix instant mashed and gravy with a vegetable. Hormel beef tips w/ gravy, cook noodles and make beef & noodles. I also simmer baby carrots and add them. Soup and sandwich, cook and season a little ground beef, and make chip & cheese deluxe. Tacos , brats on the grill, pizza - frozen from the store but add more toppings and cheese - turns out good. Have a meatloaf mixed and ready , boxed scalloped potatoes and a vegetable. Hot dogs and chips. We also like the breaded chicken patties for sandwiches or can makes sides to go with them or the stuffed chicken breasts like broccoli and cheese that you just pop in the oven - alfredo from a package with steamed broccoli added is good as a side. Chili, just heat and serve with warm cornbread. Brown chunks of chicken or buy prepared, use a tortilla and stuff with the chicken, shredded lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese and some ranch dressing for a wrap sandwich. So much you can do.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If actually traveling and don't plan on stopping at restaurants and stuff, we almost always do sandwiches in the truck when traveling. Lunch meat, sliced tomato, even peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Little Debbies, chips, keep driving and keep on going.

When we arrive at the campsite, we seldom like to fix elaborate means that first night. So, we've simplified: Pasta Sides, Hotdogs, canned soup, and the left over lunch meat.

There is still no substitute for our first official campout of the new year, or new camping season (Usually in late March or early April). We have a tradition. The first night after arriving we have a celebratory wine and cheese meal, with some kind of luxury crackers (not your run of the mill salteins) . We make it very elegant, use good wine glasses, and get a nice cheese. It's been our tradition or 30 years now.

The first morning of the new camping season, we have another tradition. For breakfast, I fix T-bone steak (2 of them), Eggs, and Hashbrowns. We've done this also for the last 30 years also. No shortcuts, though. I shred the hashbrowns myself.

There are untold numerous ways to prepare simple, non-complicated fast meals for camping... including frozen TV dinners, and don't forget the old standby -- Ramon Noodles!

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an egg salad recipe that's good for a quick sandwich on the road - you do have to make it ahead. Eggs, stuffed olives, mayonaise.

Boil some eggs (six, for example). Chop the cooked eggs. Chop some stuffed olives- about one heaping tablespoon per egg. Mix in olives. Mix in mayonaise until it looks like egg salad.

Makes about one sandwich per egg. Serve with potato salad from the grocery store or whatever side is on hand.