Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Time to hang up the keys...(consignment ?)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Time to hang up the keys...(consignment ?)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deleted

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

It is my understanding that you comp and liability insurance is no longer in effect when you leave a MH on a consignment lot. And consignment lots do not provide insurance. Check with you insurance agent before using a consignment lot.

Richard

I do plan to check with my insurance agent. If not covered...will not be left on consignment.

2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

olfarmer wrote:

This topic kind of makes me sad. I just turned 75 and although I still can drive the motor home fine, I don't seem to look forward to heading out like I used to. I worry more about problems on the road, finding a campsite and what could go wrong. I don't want to quit RVing as I don't like to fly and don't like hotels. This getting old sucks!

Ed, sorry to hear about your concerns regarding driving your motor home. But, somewhat glad you posted because the concerns you mentioned are exactly the ones I'm bothered by causing me to strongly consider 'hanging up the proverbial keys'. Over the past year, my wife and I have planned two trips from our home in Florida to our daughter's place in Eastern Tennessee. We've made that trip many times with no concern on my part even driving directly through Atlanta on I-75. However, we had to cancel both trips because I was experiencing the same problems you identified. I worried (fretted) about break downs, accidents, either my wife or I having serious health problems somewhere along the route, etc., etc. I would sometimes wake up in the middle of the night almost in a cold sweat. I'm sure there are readers of this post that can't imagine that ever happening to them. I hope not.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am 78 and although no long trips this year we have been to Charleston, Pigeon Forge twice, Baltimore once and Blowing Rock, NC so far this year. Be leaving 24 Dec for West Palm Beach. I have lived my life on the dangerous edge and figure if I alter plans for what MIGHT happen I'll either miss a lot or never do anything. Did I mention that I still tow my race car which I also drive? But I am sure that the time will come when I have to start giving up some things, not soon I hope.

goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I am 78 and although no long trips this year we have been to Charleston, Pigeon Forge twice, Baltimore once and Blowing Rock, NC so far this year. Be leaving 24 Dec for West Palm Beach. I have lived my life on the dangerous edge and figure if I alter plans for what MIGHT happen I'll either miss a lot or never do anything. Did I mention that I still tow my race car which I also drive? But I am sure that the time will come when I have to start giving up some things, not soon I hope.

Good to hear! Hope you have many more years before your body/mind begins telling you it's time to slow down. At 79 my brain started telling me 'it's time'. I really hate this. We're on our 5th MH and just bought a new 17 a couple years ago. It has only 3K miles on the odometer.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps it would be a good idea to get a doctor's opinion of your limitations. With my pilots license I have to get a flight physical each year to see if I physically have the ability to fly an airplane safely. Maybe it would be a good idea to search for a flight surgeon, which are available in most areas, and get a complete physical.
Naturally there is the mental limitations that we each place on ourselves, like I did when I stopped racing motorcycles, but maybe you can still continue to RV but step down to a Class B, which is not much bigger than a van. When I think about it, maybe it was when "common sense" kicked in that I stopped racing motorcycles. It took a lot of broken bones for me to finally get some common sense. [emoticon]

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I put a Trailer on a consignment lot in Salinas CA. A week went by and I had a friend go to the lot pretending to be interested in it.

They had raised the price we had agreed on by quite a bit and tried to sell my friend a brand new RV. They were a dealer and used the consignment RV's to draw people in as it made it look like they had a lot of RV's.

I went back to them and took my trailer home. Sold it myself.

My advice...if you go for consignment send somebody to check out what is actually going on.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a place to park it where it will be seen I would rather try to sell it as a private party myself and keep control over the situation. I think you can sell it for very reasonable price and still come out ahead because you will keep nearly all of it. I've sold lots of items out of my front yard with a big sign with price and phone number. There's Craigslist, RVT.com and facebook marketplace. First, I would look up the "book value" in the NADA book or similar. Price it well under full retail and above but not much above trade-in value. You've got a nice unit there but it won't be worth what you think it should be. Check the discounted price on comparable new ones to see what you're up against.

Jayco-noslide

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m in about the same position. A year away from 80 and wondering how long I can or will want to keep traveling in it. Bought mine new. Talked to owner of the dealer where purchased and ask if they would buy back when I’m finished. He said he would try to talk me into consignment as that would get me “ more money” but would buy it if that’s what I really wanted. I’m thinking when I am ready to “get out” I want out and will take just about whatever offer I can get the fastest to get out. Don’t want to mess around with it.

Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

imgoin4it wrote:

I’m in about the same position. A year away from 80 and wondering how long I can or will want to keep traveling in it. Bought mine new. Talked to owner of the dealer where purchased and ask if they would buy back when I’m finished. He said he would try to talk me into consignment as that would get me “ more money” but would buy it if that’s what I really wanted. I’m thinking when I am ready to “get out” I want out and will take just about whatever offer I can get the fastest to get out. Don’t want to mess around with it.

I'm also nearing 80 and have decided that I've reached the 'hanging up of keys' point in life. However, we have three furry kids, a Schnauzer, a Cocker Spaniel and a Yorkie. We have had motor homes for many years simply because we will not board them...if we go...they go. So that's a serious problem now. If we don't have an RV and need to go some where, how will we be able to do so considering the fur kids? We might have to sell the bigger motor home and buy a small travel trailer. However, would I feel unable to travel with it as I have with the motor home?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Time to hang up the keys...(consignment ?)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.