cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slideout Rocker Switches Dead, Remote Works OK

RetiredVet
Explorer
Explorer
I recently went to storage to prep for an upcoming trip when I discovered the rocker switches for all 3 slideouts did not function. I did figure out that the wireless remote worked OK. I took my DMM and checked battery connections & charge which were good. I then found a small panel in the storage compartment that had several fuses and a short antenna wire. I am guessing this was my remote's control circuit board. The fuses all tested as having good continuity. I have looked around for another possible connection or fuse location or aa loose ground wire somewhere. I have been unable to find any. Anyone have suggestions or advice?

:?
8 REPLIES 8

RetiredVet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel. None of the wiring or relay boards look like your photos. The panels I do have are labeled rather ambiguously. I have dug into everyplace I can think of hoping for a fuse or a loose ground. No luck. I do think the issue may be similar to what you've described. I am not sure which ground to re-route as I am not sure what wiring is related to the manual switches. The switch panel itself has nothing behind it as all the wiring terminates directly onto the switches and then disappears into a hole. Of course with no labels.

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem, but with my landing gear. The remote worked but the switch did not. I replaced the switch and the problem persisted. After checking for voltage and finding none, I traced the wiring and found an in-line fuse had blown in the battery compartment. Why they used an in-line fuse and didn't use the fuse block I'll never know. Try looking for an in-line fuse and maybe you'll get lucky.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Carl n Susan, while I do not have this system on my rig I just wanted to say "thanks" for the informative post including pix.
This is a clear example of the help we can all offer one another.
Thanks and safe travels.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
You haven't indicated what rig and remote system you have, but if it is a Lippert based system, the following may apply. This has been discussed numerous times on the Montana Owners Club forum.

The Landing Gear and Slides only working with the remote control and not with the outside manual switches has been a topic of discussion here lately. When ours stopped working "zman08" directed me to a post that solved our problem. It involved removing the ground for the manual switches from the remote receiver and grounding it to the chassis.

Apparently there is a "failsafe" circuit to keep the user from using the remote switches and the manual switches at the same time. The failsafe will not provide a ground to the manual switches when the remote system is energized and will sometimes get "locked" in that position. That is what happened to ours.

I just moved the ground from the receiver to the chassis and everything works again. Some users have also needed to move the 12V+ line to a separate 12V source. You can replace the receiver module, but I think Lippert wants around $150-$200 for it and it will probably just fail again. Our rig is out of warranty so this was the best economical fix for us. I have included a couple of photos of where the wires are for the manual switches and where I moved the ground to.

Manual switch wires "To Manual Switches"

Where the ground was relocated to
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Shorted switch wire? Maybe shorted out due to excessive heat, chaffing, etc., if the wire run is really long. There's a lot of wires that makes up the slide motor/switch wiring. Odd they work bypassing them via the remote. Good luck.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

RetiredVet
Explorer
Explorer
Both of you gave good suggestions.

However, I did look behind the panel. All the wires are solidly attached directly to the switches. No splices or fuses related to slideouts. As far as testing the panel's inside wiring goes it would help if I could find a schematic so I know what I am looking at.

As to a controller, I could only the circuit board mounted in the storage compartment that was associated with the wireless remote. I mentioned this board in my original message.

Thanks anyway. Anyone have a schematic? I couldn't find one online anywhere.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have two electric slides operated by rocker switches. The switches feed a slide control electrical box which feeds the slide motors. Food for thought. I doubt it is the switches if all your slides don't work at once.

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Next I would pull the panel with the switches and check to see if I had power there or a lose wire.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate