cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do you do this

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thru taking the fiver out for the winter. Probably won't go out again for 5 months at least. Do you raise your rv so the weight is off the tires? I never have in the past, but at the price of tires today, I'm thinking I'll start. And do you put a pair of jack stands under each axle? I've read that this might ever so slightly bend the axle when left for months. So where would you put the stand not to do damage?
rich
36 REPLIES 36

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
If your main concern is the tires you can always get a cheap used set of tires and wheels to put on when sitting for long periods. This way the trailer is still movable if needed.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
laknox wrote:
TazFord wrote:
To help prevent dry rot donโ€™t park directly on soil, asphalt, or concrete. Park on leveling pads or similar

I bought some 2x6 redwood, cut them in half and run my rig up on those. I feel that it bought me time, especially with the first couple sets of China bombs. Always covered, too.

Lyle

Redwood DANG!!!

2 8' lengths at HD weren't bad. Only mistake I made was cutting them =exactly= in half, then screwing them together 2" off center to make a bit of a ramp. Problem is that when you drive off one end, the boards will flip up, catching stuff on the underside of the trailer, like the steps. I =should= have cut the boards 4" off-center so one is longer than the other. So far, they've lasted over 10 years...

Lyle

I believe it! Redwood is naturally rot resistant.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
Rich&Mar wrote:
I'm thru taking the fiver out for the winter. Probably won't go out again for 5 months at least. Do you raise your rv so the weight is off the tires? I never have in the past, but at the price of tires today, I'm thinking I'll start. And do you put a pair of jack stands under each axle? I've read that this might ever so slightly bend the axle when left for months. So where would you put the stand not to do damage?

This was more common years ago when RV trailers were smaller/lighter gross weight.
Many folks also removed their wheels and stored them some where out of the elements. Some also jack some weight off the tires.

We lived in a 31' 5er for 7 months one winter while our house was being built. I leveled the trailer (6" slope in 25') and took frame to ground measurements at all 4 corners. Made cribbing from RR ties and 2" X 4"/etc placed under the main frame rails so the trailer was 2" higher. This took most of the weight off the tires.
I never liked the idea of a RV trailer sitting with jacks under the axles. Not because it does any damage to the axles but JMO some type of cribbing under the frame rails lessons the chance of a wind pushing the trailer off the jacks.

Several ways to store tires on/off a trailer.

My 11k lb 5th wheel RV trailer sits 1 1/2" crusher run for 5 months or so on 2" X 6" boards inside a trailer shed. I keep the tires at max sidewall pressures and jack each wheel 2-3 times a winter and rotate each one 90 degrees so it sits on a different spot. Takes all of 6-8 min.
I've ran nothing but LT tires on my various RV trailers over the years. There good for 6-8 years or 50k-55k miles whichever comes first.

When my equipment trailers sit they have no load. They sit in the tractor barn out of the sun on same type crusher run/wood and always at max psi 24/7 365 days a year.

Biggest issue with the old bias ply and early radial tires, was flat-spotting from sitting. I know that my old JD Model A is real fun to drive after sitting for several months, even at its top speed of 6.5 mph. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
laknox wrote:
TazFord wrote:
To help prevent dry rot donโ€™t park directly on soil, asphalt, or concrete. Park on leveling pads or similar

I bought some 2x6 redwood, cut them in half and run my rig up on those. I feel that it bought me time, especially with the first couple sets of China bombs. Always covered, too.

Lyle

Redwood DANG!!!

2 8' lengths at HD weren't bad. Only mistake I made was cutting them =exactly= in half, then screwing them together 2" off center to make a bit of a ramp. Problem is that when you drive off one end, the boards will flip up, catching stuff on the underside of the trailer, like the steps. I =should= have cut the boards 4" off-center so one is longer than the other. So far, they've lasted over 10 years...

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Rich&Mar wrote:

This was more common years ago when RV trailers were smaller/lighter gross weight.
Many folks also removed their wheels and stored them some where out of the elements. Some also jack some weight off the tires.

We lived in a 31' 5er for 7 months one winter while our house was being built. I leveled the trailer (6" slope in 25') and took frame to ground measurements at all 4 corners. Made cribbing from RR ties and 2" X 4"/etc placed under the main frame rails so the trailer was 2" higher. This took most of the weight off the tires.
I never liked the idea of a RV trailer sitting with jacks under the axles. Not because it does any damage to the axles but JMO some type of cribbing under the frame rails lessons the chance of a wind pushing the trailer off the jacks.

Several ways to store tires on/off a trailer.

My 11k lb 5th wheel RV trailer sits 1 1/2" crusher run for 5 months or so on 2" X 6" boards inside a trailer shed. I keep the tires at max sidewall pressures and jack each wheel 2-3 times a winter and rotate each one 90 degrees so it sits on a different spot. Takes all of 6-8 min.
I've ran nothing but LT tires on my various RV trailers over the years. There good for 6-8 years or 50k-55k miles whichever comes first.

When my equipment trailers sit they have no load. They sit in the tractor barn out of the sun on same type crusher run/wood and always at max psi 24/7 365 days a year.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12v98, I can't talk to my brother in law because he know all there is to know about anything, lol. I do cover my tires and they rest on 2x6 pieces of wood when in storage. I have Michelin XPS ribs on my 5er and put new ones on last spring. They didn't wear out, they aged out. Expensive but great tires.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
TazFord wrote:

Lyle

Redwood DANG!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I park it on concrete, cover the tires, and that's it. So far they've lasted 6 years and still look good. Not fond of making work for myself.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TazFord wrote:

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I have two large pneumatic cylinders and I can raise my fiver up and put it on jackstands in under five minutes. I tried keeping it off the ground during storage for several years and that didn't make the ST go pop tires last a bit longer. I even had one of those go pop tires blowout over the winter while it was off the ground and covered. After two sets of go pops in a row only lasted four years, almost to the month of manufacture, I switched to ST tires.
I'm going to store my fiver off the ground again because I can do it so easy. I've also read that the air pressure can be let down when the tires are stored with no load on them. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
You're going to be replacing them due to age anyway. And lifting isn't going to make them age any less.

Keep them covered from sunlight if you want maximum life of the rubber.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Rich&Mar wrote:

No I don't and it's never caused any issues I'm aware of.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
Would not even think of doing al that horsing around. ๐Ÿ˜‰

X2 In 40+ years of RVing I have had 1 tire failure. Air up and cover tires and park on gravel or old mud flaps is all I do.

Same here in over 50 years , just one tire failure ,and that was plenty