cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wichita to Albuquerque suggestions

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We don't mind the interstate but I'm curious what sights, and roads, you all might suggest for our upcoming trip. Thanks much.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.
13 REPLIES 13

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
For those folks that live near and work at or sell to those plants, that is the smell of money. It is like living downwind of a feedlot. The good news is you do get used to the smell after a while. At least we did when we lived a couple of blocks from an IBP processing plant and I think most others did as well.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the ideas; we're in Liberal today (DW: Oz fan) but will have to try the other routes on future runs. I can't believe the National Beef processing plant produces this much smell! Or that this town (despite the smell) was named in one of the top places to live lists. I'm going to learn a bit more about why; there's always good reasons to live in every place.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
For better roads and less truck traffic, we have taken US 50 to Dodge City, US 56 through Clayton and Springer to I25 then south to Albuquerque.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
If your looking to get there quickly I suggest US-54 to I-40 to Albuquerque. If you want the scenic route I suggest the US-50 to I-25 route.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
If you have time for a layover I would highly suggest a nite at Ute Lake, it is about 20 minutes north of Tucumcari

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on the time of year, the weather, the amount of time you have for the trip, your interests, and what you want to experience on your trip. We just traveled US 54 from Guymon to Tucumcari two weeks ago. Very little to see or experience until Tucumcari.

Having taken multiple routes from Wichita, I personally would drive U.S. 50 to La Junta, Colorado, U.S. 350 to Trinidad, and I-25 to Albuquerque. Why would I take this route? Because I am a Western history buff and there is so much of historical interest on that route--the Santa Fe Trail, Dodge City, Bent's Fort NHS, Raton Pass, Ft. Union NHS, Glorietta Pass Civil War Battlefield, Pecos National Monument, and Santa Fe, with many of the oldest buildings in the U.S. And I would even take time for lesser known historical sites like Amache, a WWII Japanese internment camp near Granada, CO, and Boggsville, where Kit Carson died, near Las Animas.

But, if I were leading one of my car clubs on a tour, I would head south from Wichita on I-35 to Oklahoma City, then follow the remains of U.S. 66 all the way to Albuquerque. I would stop at the many iconic motels, gas stations, and restaurants along the "Mother Road" for photos of 1950's kitsch. And I would not miss the Route 66 museums in Clinton and Elk City, OK.

So, your route really depends on your primary objectives for taking the trip!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
I'd take US-54 from Wichita to Tucumcari and get on I-40 to Albuquerque. 54 is all two land but you'll probably have it all to yourself most of the time and it was much smoother than the interstate. Close your windows and recirculate your cabin air as you go through Dalhart, TX (home to the largest feed lots I've ever run across) Tucumcari has lots of Route 66 things to see. Be sure to take in a movie at the Oden Theater and dine at Dels Restaurant. We stayed at Blaze-In-Saddle RV park on the east side of town (BL I-10).

What he said and add the dinosaur museum in Tucumcari, well done.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I10 - could have blizzard conditions/ice/wind on I-40 starting anytime now.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for correcting me! I edited my post to correct it. I-40 runs through Tucumcari and Albuquerque.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
busyguy wrote:
You are going to have to go way south to get on I10. I think he meant I40 at Tucumcari.
x2, thumbs up on Del's also.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

busyguy
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to have to go way south to get on I10. I think he meant I40 at Tucumcari.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
If you can make a slight side trip off US54, hit Dodge City. Lots of history there.

Liberal KS is the self proclaimed home town of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. There is the expected amount of Oz memorabilia there.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take US-54 from Wichita to Tucumcari and get on I-40 to Albuquerque. 54 is all two land but you'll probably have it all to yourself most of the time and it was much smoother than the interstate. Close your windows and recirculate your cabin air as you go through Dalhart, TX (home to the largest feed lots I've ever run across) Tucumcari has lots of Route 66 things to see. Be sure to take in a movie at the Oden Theater and dine at Dels Restaurant. We stayed at Blaze-In-Saddle RV park on the east side of town (BL I-10).
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System