cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer brake controller wireing

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2 questions. Installing a Tekonsa controller and cannot find the brake light switch. And does this thing have factory trailer wireing already in it. 1998 Monaco Windsor DP with air brakes
13 REPLIES 13

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The brake switch, often mounted on above the generator switches the ground, not the hot. I finally mounted mine in the back where everything is easy to find.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems that way. Itโ€™s going in for service and he said itโ€™s just like the big trucks they usually work on and they will find it for me. Says they stick them everywhere

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
ScottG wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Brake light is red and turn signal is orange so I think they are different. I have been unable to find a switch or wire near the brake pedal so far.

Are you talking about the wires at the 7 pin conn? If so, that's wrong. The brake and the turn signal for each side are contained on the same wire.

I have a idea he is talking about the lens over the lamp.

Ah, that would explain things.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Brake light is red and turn signal is orange so I think they are different. I have been unable to find a switch or wire near the brake pedal so far.

Are you talking about the wires at the 7 pin conn? If so, that's wrong. The brake and the turn signal for each side are contained on the same wire.

I have a idea he is talking about the lens over the lamp.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
ferndaleflyer wrote:

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:

Are you looking at the air lines under the floor? The pedal on most hydraulic systems also works the switch. With air brakes the pedal works a valve, and air works the switch.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't help with the exact location but on trucks with air brakes use a pressure switch normally located near the treadle valve. Just need to be sure you find one on the apply, not supply side of valve.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You can't use a brake light wire from the back unless you have seperate brake and turn lights - which is not available at the 7 pin connector.
Otherwise you will get a pulsing in the electric brakes as the turn signals flash.
(I actually saw one wired this way and the cust wondered what was wrong with the controller!)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thats good but I already have all the light functions wired into the 7 position plug in the back. I can pick up a brake light wire in the back and run it all the way to the front when I run the brake only wire to the back but would be easier if I could find the brake light switch up front, I already have the positive and ground connected in the fuse panel up front.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I did
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That can be a real challenge. If nothing else, maybe you can find the right wire behind the turn signal sw?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The manufacturerโ€™s material and website isnโ€™t helpful?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad