cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casita vs "conventional" small trailers

mark_p1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about a small trailer and had been looking at the Rpod, Drop and Hummingbird types, but then started thinking about Casita. Does anyone have experience with the smaller "conventional" trailers vs the Casita? I know they are all small, and the Casita probably most of all. I've had a diesel pusher, Airstream, Class C, small Class C and longer trailer, so I understand the tradeoffs on size and livability. So, what are the pros and cons of one type vs the other?
37 REPLIES 37

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Good to see demand for quality. Too bad Elkhart is controlled by only a few. They need much more competition, both domestically and foreign.

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 17' stick built FourWinds to the 17' Casita and it is much better made, but also much smaller. I love it for traveling by myself, easy to handle and has everything I need for a week of dry camping. Except for water capacity is small. I love the all fiberglass showers and actually very usable. Similar to a boat bathroom/head.

I just picked up a 36' Phaeton but will keep the Casita for my solo trips.
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250
2006 17' Casita FD (mobile observatory)

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Though Canada produces several fiberglass clamshell lines, Oliver is not one of them. Very nice though.

Oliver is made in TN, very good quality but expensive, and heavy.
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Casita also has a Fifth wheel Version the looks pretty cool. I see a lot of used ones for sale online.

Nope, that is a scamp.
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had been searching for a Casita for the past year and was lucky to find a 2018 Casita Spirit Deluxe within 500 miles that I bought for the most part online. The owner was kind enough to provide me with a lot of info regarding the Casita plus pictures and video. I knew he had not used it but very little and he had put many after build accessories on it at the Little House establishment.
Most of the time they are spoken for before you can get to them.
This is my #14 rv/camping rig so I know my way around them.
I tow this one with my Honda Ridgeline with a towing package and an Anderson stabilizer hitch. The Honda handles it well and get 17.5 MPG without too much of a load in the trailer.
Looking forward to camping/traveling in a smaller way.

Guess I will have to change my rig picture!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Casita also has a Fifth wheel Version the looks pretty cool. I see a lot of used ones for sale online.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Though Canada produces several fiberglass clamshell lines, Oliver is not one of them. Very nice though.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
There's Oliver Trailers out of Canada I believe.

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
A neighbor of a rental I have has a 5th wheel Scamp behind his gates, he tows it with a Ford Ranger V-6 automatic. I always thought that setup was the way to go
on a much lower budget than a 1-ton diesel with a 40ft cruiser ship in tow.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/19-deluxe-trailers/19-deluxe-trailer-layout-a.html

Google Escape 5.0 and BigFoot trailers. I seriously am thinking along those lines myself. My Bounder 34ft Class A is too big for me, my tow vehicle for my 19f Mallard is pushing 300k.

jdtrotter
Explorer
Explorer
Late to the parade, but we have owned both a Casita and an R-pod. The Casita was small, but trouble free. We took it across country, all the way down Baja, and down the mainland of Mexico to Patzcauro. We ay popped a few rivets as was to be expected and easy to fix with our rivet gun. When we sold it a number of years ago, we almost sold it for what we paid for it.

After a couple of truck campers, we bought an R-pod. Cute little trailer with a lot more room and a dry bathroom and it was a nightmare. We spent so many travel hours at RV repair places. All quality control was absent. Even the electrical outlets were crooked. We kept trying and finally gave up and traded it in for a Nash 17K. If Casita made a trailer a bit bigger, we would have bought it!

Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It has been my experience that floor plan trumps all else. The best bomb proof TT will not be as satisfying as a proper floor plan.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's just one of those statements that makes you go "wait a sec..." when you read it a certain way. 🙂
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toed, I think you are right. I should have said "folks are willing to pay a lot for a used Casita because they don't DETERIORATE like other types of trailers." That avoids the ambiguity in the word "depreciate."
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
By definition, a trailer that depreciates will not have people paying more for it. If people are willing to pay more, then it's not depreciating.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)