cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F150 HD Payload and Max Trailer - How to spot them?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We MIGHT end up looking for a 4-5 year old F150 EB next spring. Not sure yet, but it's a possibility. If so, I'd want to have the HD Payload and the Max Trailer packages.

It looks like the integrated brake controller is a giveaway that a vehicle likely has the Max Tow. Is that true? What other ways are there to make sure it has it?

For the HD payload, it looks like a stickered GVWR in the 7k range is the indicator on that one, am I correct?

Thanks all!
28 REPLIES 28

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
packpe89 wrote:
@kw/oo I don't think you can get the powerstroke option. Wish you could.

I just tried but I can't even find max payload mentioned on the build sheet so I must assume that it is still tied to the 3.73 axle. If I specified the diesel engine then the 3.73 axle the configurator dropped the diesel engine.

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
@kw/oo I don't think you can get the powerstroke option. Wish you could.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Have to be lucky to find one at a good price used.

My boss likes to hit the auctions. He was all excited about one such Ford. Was telling me all about it. Said he was sure he could get it for under his 20K budget.... I told him that they were very highly sought after.
Next day, he told me it went fo 40K. He was shocked.
I don't remember the details year, mileage etc.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Some upsides to the HDPP is a better mpg's and from what I've read a little better ride. If you get the tow mirrors then it's almost exactly the same width from mirror to mirror as an F250/350.
Towing with an HDPP 3.5 should be quieter. The 3.5 EB won't be turning 4,000-4800 rpms when pulling steeper grades.

Sorry to have to disagree with you but my real world experience with my HDPP is that it rides like a truck (LT tires and heavy duty springs and shocks). Part of the problem is that the TPMS is set for 55# front and 60# rear. No way to get a decent ride at those pressures. I rarely get over 15 MPG empty and typically 8 to 9 towing 8,000#.

I live 9 miles outside of a little town so most driving is on rural roads with very little in town.

Six years of ownership confirms all these facts.
RVing since 1995.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Got a buddy who has one, I do believe that his is a 7 lug. Canโ€™t recall the year for you. Overall great truck and should do what you need it to do. Iโ€™m thinking if you canโ€™t find one that you may get a good deal on a close out 2019 model... I wonder if one could order it with a diesel..?
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Jim...you make too much sense and have the exact same thoughts

But...it makes for great theater using marketing nomenclature instead of GVWR & RGAWR...

And...the OEM's sell more trucks to those who bought the wrong F150...thinking advice from those who own top end GVWR F150's saying sure you can...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
At some point in time Ford dropped the 7 lug wheels for the F150HD models. Fleet Ford specs shows a '14 model with 7 lug wheels and a '15 models and up going with a 6 lug..... so lug numbers won't help newer year models.

The drivers side door sticker tells a story. All F150HD trucks will have a 8200 gvwr for older trucks and a 7850 gvwr for the newer gen truck but they all have a 4800 rawr on the cert sticker. Other package may not be that easy to find.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
If it has the E-Locker rear axle it's more likely got the Max Tow pkg. If it's got 18" wheels (and a very distinctive wheel cover if you know what your looking for) and the e-locker its probably got the HDPP pkg. None of those are going to be readily apparent, but when i was shopping for a new truck, a lot of listings would say it had the max tow package. But, your chances of finding a truck (new or used), that has both max tow and HDPP are very, very slim.

The HDPP is the only way to get the more robust frame; and you have to have the max tow pkg to get the HDPP pkg.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Some upsides to the HDPP is a better mpg's and from what I've read a little better ride. If you get the tow mirrors then it's almost exactly the same width from mirror to mirror as an F250/350.
Towing with an HDPP 3.5 should be quieter. The 3.5 EB won't be turning 4,000-4800 rpms when pulling steeper grades.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
We MIGHT end up looking for a 4-5 year old F150 EB next spring. Not sure yet, but it's a possibility. If so, I'd want to have the HD Payload and the Max Trailer packages.

It looks like the integrated brake controller is a giveaway that a vehicle likely has the Max Tow. Is that true? What other ways are there to make sure it has it?

For the HD payload, it looks like a stickered GVWR in the 7k range is the indicator on that one, am I correct?

Thanks all!

Sorry I can't be more help but...
My 2019 SuperCrew w/ 5.5 bed STX and factory basic tow package has the integrated brake controller and 7K# payload package both as options, so those are NOT clues to HDPP or Max Towing package. Also have the trailer backup assist.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
If I needed more than a regular half ton I'd skip straight to a SRW HD truck. To me that's the sweet spot. Same footprint and ease of use as a half ton but much more capable, without all the drawbacks involved when you go to a DRW. That's just my opinion of course.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Very unlikely to find a 150 with HD payload, new or used. Almost just have to order, especially to get everything you want.

Jerry

The problem with this is that once you check HDPP about the only choices left are XLT or Lariet, engine and color. Most other boxes are not compatible with HDPP for some reason. I do like adaptive cruise control and don't understand why it is not available with HDPP along with a host of other modern widgets.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Heavy-Duty Payload Package (Regular Cab and
SuperCab with 8' box and SuperCrew with 6ยฝ' box;
restrictions apply) increases GVWR to 8,200 lbs. for
improved payload and towing
; 17" 7-lug gray styled
steel wheels; LT245/75R17E BSW all-terrain tires;
heavy-duty shock absorbers; upgraded springs and
radiator; auxiliary transmission oil cooler; rear axle
with 9.75" gear set and 3.73 limited-slip gear ratio"

The irony for the 2019 model is that HDPP reduces the tow rating since 20" wheels are required for the best rating but unavailable with HDPP. That also makes me wonder about the value of the 9.75" gear set since it reduces GCWR from 18,400lbs to 17,100lbs.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
joshuajim wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
All HD Payload packages are long bed and have 7 lug axles(versus 6 for the standard F150) in that model year. Because of this the HD's had a special wheel that the regular trucks did not have so they should be easy to spot a mile a way.

The 2015 and up HD F150's have a 6 lug axle. It is only the 2011-2014 that had a 7 lug.

NOPE. My โ€˜13 HDPP has a 6โ€™-3โ€ bed and 8200# GVWR. Payload is 2592#

Is it a crew cab? If so, then you have the longest bed in that cab configuration just like I did with my 2012 F150HD.

It may be the longest bed in a crew, but it NOT a long bed. Thatโ€™s 8โ€™.

The longest bed in a configuration is the long bed.

To go off what goducks posted.

F150 cab/bed configurations
Reg cab: short bed 6.5'/long bed 8' bed
Scab: short bed 6.5'/long bed 8' bed
Super Crew: short bed 5.5'/long bed 6.5 bed.

You have to get the long bed option in what ever cab configuration to choose the HD package. So as I said, an F150HD are always a long bed.

It even states this in the Ford brochure for that year model.

2014 F150 Brochure

"Heavy-Duty Payload Package (Regular Cab and
SuperCab with 8' box and SuperCrew with 6ยฝ' box;
restrictions apply) increases GVWR to 8,200 lbs. for
improved payload and towing; 17" 7-lug gray styled
steel wheels; LT245/75R17E BSW all-terrain tires;
heavy-duty shock absorbers; upgraded springs and
radiator; auxiliary transmission oil cooler; rear axle
with 9.75" gear set and 3.73 limited-slip gear ratio
"

Now whether you consider a 6.5" bed in a half ton crew cab a long bed is your opinion, but I would wager that many(including the manufacturer) will disagree with you.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS