cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Campgrounds in west Texas off I-20

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Each winter we transit Texas on the way to southern California and return.

We are finding it difficult to find good campgrounds with the increased oilfield activity, we used to stay at Horseshoe RV park (formerly RL), it was full of oilfield workers and trashed. A park in Cisco was no better.

I would appreciate some recommendations for better parks. How is the KOA in Abilene?
12 REPLIES 12

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
If you could stretch it to El Paso, Mission RV Park is a nice stopover for 35$ and all pull throughs. Flying J at exit.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Rest AreaRest Area

If your just needing a overnight stop, there is a really nice Texas Dept of Highway rest stop south of Ranger. It's called the Eastland Co Westbound Safety Rest Area. Texas law allows for stopping up to 24 hours and there is a really big area in the back for trucks/RV's
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stay at Desert Willow in VanHorn also , use Passport America as much as possible.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to Patperry and everyone else for the suggestions for the parks, we will check them out on our return in the spring.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Leon/Eastland

Abilene

Lake Colorado City SP

Abilene SP

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
I-20 in west Texas is a long, long road. Is there a certain area you're trying to stop at?
Generally from west of Odessa to almost Colorado City, almost all the sites will probably be filled with oilfield.

If you can get to Ft Davis State Park, it would be a plus. Try to spend a couple of days if possible. A lot of stuff to do and the hidden gem in that part of the state.

Sorry for the lack of detail.

You are right, I-20 is a long road! In transiting Texas we stop in Mt Pleasant, Ranger, Monahans, Van Horn then we make it to Deming NM. We have a "one tank a day" rule so we are looking at parks around Ranger, that's why I was asking about the Abilene KOA or other parks that aren't full of oilfield workers.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I-20 in west Texas is a long, long road. Is there a certain area you're trying to stop at?
Generally from west of Odessa to almost Colorado City, almost all the sites will probably be filled with oilfield.

If you can get to Ft Davis State Park, it would be a plus. Try to spend a couple of days if possible. A lot of stuff to do and the hidden gem in that part of the state.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
We use Passport America parks for our 1 night stops. Last winter we spent a night in Big Spring at Hat Creek RV Park for $17.50 and jumped across the Midland area to Van Horn and Desert Willow RV Park for $14 a night. These aren't fancy parks but we're only there to rest up for the night. From there it to Bowie, AZ and spent the night at Dwayne's Fresh Jerky for under $17/night. While in Bowie, stop at a little restaurant just up the road called "Rafter G Restaurant". It's probably the newest building in town and the only restaurant around.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Try Hat Creek RV Park in Big Spings. It is a Passport America park and has some pull throughs for overnight PPA members. Lots of speed bumps, but just take your time. Onsite office does pizza and deliver to rig. We stopped there last summer.

We also stop on the way across in Van Horn at the KOA, pricey but my hubby likes the little cafe for breakfast in the morning. Also an easy run from there to Deming, NM

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I saw you mentioned Cisco, Check Buck Creek RV in Abilene.
https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-rv-parks/texas/abilene/buck-creek-rv-park-260001445/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, we are also familiar with Monahans, we stayed there after the stop at Cisco. Because they don't have sewer it's not popular with the oilfield workers although there were a couple of "permanents" with those sewer blue tanks underneath their trailers.

I'm looking for campsite recommendations east of there

rctaw
Explorer
Explorer
We were through that area this summer and we stopped in at Monahans Sandhills State Park near Monahans, TX for a long evening and an overnight. The park had plenty of openings without a reservation. It is a basic campground as the sites only have electric and water but the sand dunes were beautiful. We had a really good time and relaxed on the dunes while waiting for the sunset. It was kind of like a mini White Sands National Monument. We will certainly overnight there again when we are in the area.