cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone ever try the Traction pads for a Truck Camper

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I am seriously thinking of getting a set.These are a knock off of the Maxtrac which are really spendy..

Has anyone ever tried these for there truck camper?

They look like a good item to have around for a truck camper, mounting easily on a ladder rack or whatever..They can be used as a shovel in sand/snow and loose gravel and there rated for 10 tons which would work for leveling the truck camper up to 2 inches,depending on which bran bought also..If you tow an ATV along with your TC,they could really help when you bury the ATV..(laffin)

And, getting the truck camper out of a tough spot even if you have 4X4..

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
17 REPLIES 17

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Finally found the video of the truck camper recovery using the maxtraxx.

S1:E26 Recovery on the Dempster / Saving the Aussies - Lifestyle Overland
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
I got THESE back in 2015 and they have worked great, use them in the sand if I need help getting out of a rut. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another set.

I think we will have a set of these under the tree this year and give them a try ...Thanks for the link...
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
I got THESE back in 2015 and they have worked great, use them in the sand if I need help getting out of a rut. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another set.

Link is to Portable Tow Truck brand. I've thought about getting those. I'm glad to hear they work for you! The price is low, but the reviews are good.

Although the plastic fencing idea, upthread... I already have some of that 🙂
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
I would try those recovery mats and will try those gators, great idea. Had the smittybilt trax and got basically one and a half uses before they were trash. The traction knobs bust off very easily with diesel torque and edges also break very easily under the weight of a camper. After one use I knew they wouldn’t do in the long run. Mine broke in half the last time I used them in mud. My firewood and roll of carpet got me out, not the trax.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
I saw a test comparison between the knock offs and the maxtrax. The knocks offs are basically a use once. The problem is, you may have to use a set five of six times to get out of a single situation. So the knocks off may have the grips worn off before you even get out. If I am going to take up the room for a set of maxtrax, they are going to be the real thing.

On a side note, I'm not sure if it was on here, youtube, or fb, but there was a writeup where a tc up in Yukon territory ran off the road when the side of the road gave way. The driver was smart enough to drive on down off the road so the truck stayed upright. The ground was so soft, without the maxtrax to help provide support, the two trucks with winches that stopped to help, probably still wouldn't have been able to get him out.

Everyone uses MaxTraxxs here. I think the Companies blurb sums them up
MAXTRAX is the innovative, lightweight vehicle recovery device that’s Australian designed, engineered and manufactured, PATENTED and rigorously tried, tested, trusted and proven in the world’s toughest off-road events and expeditions as the SAFE, SIMPLE, QUICK and EASY method of SAND, MUD, SLUSH and SNOW 4WD vehicle recovery. MAXTRAX is an I4WDTA (International 4WD Trainers Association) "Recommended Product".

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Bedlam
My off-road toy carries something like this:

https://gemplers.com/products/gator-track-traction-mat

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a test comparison between the knock offs and the maxtrax. The knocks offs are basically a use once. The problem is, you may have to use a set five of six times to get out of a single situation. So the knocks off may have the grips worn off before you even get out. If I am going to take up the room for a set of maxtrax, they are going to be the real thing.

On a side note, I'm not sure if it was on here, youtube, or fb, but there was a writeup where a tc up in Yukon territory ran off the road when the side of the road gave way. The driver was smart enough to drive on down off the road so the truck stayed upright. The ground was so soft, without the maxtrax to help provide support, the two trucks with winches that stopped to help, probably still wouldn't have been able to get him out.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, looking at them too, on the Amz Wish list.. I eventually plan on 6, for all tires or to run them end to end.

Now, don't forget when you have to tow yourself out.. hehe as in nothing to attach tow rope to from winch... like a sand patch.
You can bury something like 'Sand Anchor' but I'm thinking the Pull Pal.. also...

It's tricky in trying to figure out just what works and what doesn't...
So, matrix and the Pull Pal along with the winch are all on the list..

And here's why, Luckily, another truck camper was kind enough to 'Break from camp' and come to my rescue... I was lucky and am waiting to pay it forward...

Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I have used them and seen them used and they certainly can aid in getting unstuck. If you do get them I strongly recommend getting a rope and a couple snap hooks to serve as a lanyard of sorts. Hook one end to the trac and one end to the vehicle bumper so that when you get to solid ground you don't have to walk back and get the tracs.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes lug wrench, jack and flat repair kit is also a must when going on a road less traveled.
I will be out in the trails of DVNP in a couple weeks. Come look for me if I don't check in by Dec 1 😉

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I would get a recovery strap first and make sure you have front and rear recovery attachment points.
Not sure the leveling and shoveling is a good value.

I am looking for something for when no one is around and serves multiple things other than just getting un-stuck..I have a gauntlet of tow chains/straps/winches etc but with a TC you can't take all that stuff without a trailer..

I had a flat on my new 2008 Ford 4X4 way back in..I forgot I changed wheels to a more modern spoke type..My factory lug wrench would not work..One passer by and that was to a backcountry Salmon river ranch..He took my sons number and called him on there satellite phone when everything lined up,and 6 hours later he got the message..

He was the only passer by in two days so I want something like these do it yourself ramps to lesson the likelihood of being stranded again, although with a TC,who cares huh...
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would get a recovery strap first and make sure you have front and rear recovery attachment points.
Not sure the leveling and shoveling is a good value.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29847142.cfm
another thread on subject.
For the price all they need to do is work at least once? Dont know I'd use for leveling, save for when needed.

Thanks for that link,somehow I missed that one..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04