cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water line burst

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
We never use those little brass water pressure regulators. They cut to water flow too much. Been RVing for 20 years and never had a problem. This week when I hooked up, I noticed that we had "really good pressure", but I didn't give it a second thought.

When we got back to the RV today, there was no water. Checked the valve and found that (a) someone had turned off our water, and (b) water was pouring out of the RV's water bay once we turned the water back on. So...no water.

The upside is that the break appears to be in the water bay, so with any luck there is no water damage. But, finding and fixing the break could be a challenge. We can still get "emergency water" by running the pump, but half the water dumps out into the water bay while the pump is running. We will be home in a few days and can do the repairs then.

Going forward, what is the best option:

a) Continue without the regulator and pay more attention when pressure is high. After all, it worked for 20 years.

b) Fill the tank with campground water and then only use the water pump. I hate putting "strange" water into the fresh water tank.

c) Use the regulator/campground water for most things and then boost the pressure with the pump when taking showers.

What are your thoughts on this?

Paul
24 REPLIES 24

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry the problem was solved before I posted.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe there was a defect in the pipe that has the leak. Possible the regulator use of or lack of had nothing to do with the problem.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I use a pre-set regulator 100% of the time at the faucet.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for so many helpful responses. We were lucky that it was a T fitting that came apart in the water bay. Not easy to get at, but at least it wasn't inside the walls or in the slide. Fixed at home in the driveway in about 5 hours (We work slow).

While apart, we found another fitting that was leaking. And, the 110v outlet in the water bay (domb to install one there) was sealed on the front, but the box was not sealed at the back. All fixed now.

I ordered a $50 Camco regulator with a built in gauge. Not sure if that qualifies as a "good" regulator, but the next better at Lowes was oversized, $100 plus gauge and fittings. The extra cost and install time didn't look like a good way to go.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
My 2 cents is before you do anything, try and find the person that was kind enough to shut your water off and thank them. Not everyone would have done that. One time I noticed 4 people standing at the roadside of a camper just watching. When I went over to see what they were looking at, I noticed water pouring out. I walked past them and turned the spigot off.

Good point! Thing is, being on several forum types, for a length of time, I usually can tell a lot about other posters character, by their posts/responses.

I knew RobWNY would help, in this case turn water off. I feel like I know many forum folks, some I consider friends, even though I've never met them.

Jerry

Thank you Jerry, I think of you as a friend as well even though we have never met in person. I have received a great deal of help and guidance from you and you have saved me from spending money needlessly and from making many mistakes. I like to offer "my 2 cents" in hopes of being able to be helpful to others. It's the only way to pay it forward in a meaningful way.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
As others have said, buy a quality pressure regulator, not one of those cheap reducers. Big difference.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a couple of those little brass pieces of Junk if you want one...

now the serious point of this post... I have use a WATTS 3/4 inch (more on why that ZURIN (also 3/4) when hooked up (not often) But for totally different reasons I've gone to filling my on board and using the water pump.

ONe park I stay at logged 120 PSI

THe watts new held a nice steady 50 PSI LIkewise the ZURIN I'm told the Valterra Adjustable does well (Way less expensive)

As the Watts and Zurin age they start to restrict flow (Pressure drops under load) but they can be rebuilt cheaply and easily.

WHy 3/4.. well they were cheaper than the 1/2's and of course easier to adapt to garden hoses.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
1. Get a quality regulator and always use it.

2. Always turn water off when you leave the campsite.

Agreed. Never assume the campground water pressure will be consistent. Many RV parks have their own well(s). Deeper wells often have two stage pumps to get water to the surface with sufficient pressure and volume. During times of high demand, both pumps may operate. (filling the campgrounds main storage tank for example) If/When a major draw suddenly shuts off, a huge pressure spike propagates throughout the system and the system pressure may stay elevated for a few minutes. If you lack the appropriate pressure regulating ability and your RV system is "iffy" you may experience fractured pipes. Hopefully you (or someone else) will be around if/when this happens. I've personally seen this happen several times. The RV park owner told me about their two stage well pumps. Now you know.

Chum lee

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Use your tank and pump.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
RobWNY wrote:
My 2 cents is before you do anything, try and find the person that was kind enough to shut your water off and thank them. Not everyone would have done that. One time I noticed 4 people standing at the roadside of a camper just watching. When I went over to see what they were looking at, I noticed water pouring out. I walked past them and turned the spigot off.

Good point! Thing is, being on several forum types, for a length of time, I usually can tell a lot about other posters character, by their posts/responses.

I knew RobWNY would help, in this case turn water off. I feel like I know many forum folks, some I consider friends, even though I've never met them.

Jerry

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
beemerphile1 wrote:
1. Get a quality regulator and always use it.

2. Always turn water off when you leave the campsite.

Agree on both counts.... I have also turned off a few water faucets in CG's where the RV owners had left and something gave way inside and water was pouring out onto the ground.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
DFord wrote:
I've been RVing for almost 50 years. ALWAYS USED A REGULATOR (unless the campground's water trickled out of the hose). Never had any problems with my pipes. I use a "whole house" Watts regulator adapted for garden hose (male/female) set at 50-60psi. I never had any luck with the cheapo regulators that screw on your hose although others I know seem to have no problem with them. I know the larger regulator like I use work 100% of the time and allow full flow - no problem taking showers.

Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

Unless one of the granddaughters is with us, I just fill the fresh water tank and use the pump. For those occasions when a granddaughter IS with us, I hook up to the sewer with the grey tank valve open and hook up to shore water. (I am not about to try to teach a teenager about Navy showers.) If I hook up to shore water I ALWAYS use the Watts regulator pictured above.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/F3004.htm
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle