cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken key, locked out of TT, no spare :(

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a trip and my wife said she couldn't get the TT unlocked. I tried it and sure enough, the deadbolt was stuck. I tried to turn the key (didn't even use that much force) and the darn key broke. Sadly, the previous owners didn't give us a spare and of course, of all the times I swore I'd get a copy made, I never did. All windows are tightly shut. No, I can't get inside the bed via storage. I *may* be able to get a kid to squeeze through rear storage but not sure I can make it happen. Any ideas? Bust a window and replace later? ๐Ÿ˜ž Even so, can it be unlocked from inside?

Locksmith?

Much appreciated.
38 REPLIES 38

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
crazyro wrote:
Crisis averted. Since the lock seems to have failed, since we only had one key anyway, I saved money on a locksmith, drilled out hole, ordered new latch and we're back in business and now have 4 keys total. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Glad you got it fixed. I had the same issue with the metal breaking inside so no key or pick would work. Fortunately having a "C" I just went in through the cab ๐Ÿ™‚ and disassembled the lock from inside. Unfortunately, I dropped and messed up the cylinder ๐Ÿ˜ž which was specifically keyed to work work with the cab's key, so still had go to a lock$mith to get it keyed alike.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Glad that is settled. I have always had two door models for convenience and safety, this lock issue is just one more reason to have more than one access. Trouble is, the industry is dropping the extra door for cost reasons.

Yes, our next one I'd like to have two doors - safety being one reason.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Glad that is settled. I have always had two door models for convenience and safety, this lock issue is just one more reason to have more than one access. Trouble is, the industry is dropping the extra door for cost reasons.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Good deal!
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad you got it fixed.

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Crisis averted. Since the lock seems to have failed, since we only had one key anyway, I saved money on a locksmith, drilled out hole, ordered new latch and we're back in business and now have 4 keys total. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it a Trimark door latch? If so they are known for failures.The movable dead bolt and door latch itself are made from a zinc alloy and are very weak. I was able to open mine from the inside by removing 4 screws. If you can't get to it from the inside the TT I would drill out the mechanism from the outside. I wouldn't break any windows or doors to get in. They do have a better design latch made from steel as a replacement.

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
I would check and try any other keys available, providing the lock would still work. One time friends of ours locked there keys in their new motor home. Since we had a motor home they tried our keys which did not work. However the key that locks up our horse trailer opened it just fine. Of all they keys in the camp ground I never would have bet on that one.
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
A few decades ago, my FIL was in his TT about to take a shower when he realized that he left something, I don't recall what, in his (unlocked) truck that he needed for his shower. He was in his altogether already, but it was dark outside with no lights in the area, so he opened the trailer door and hustled to the truck. The wind caught the trailer door and swung it shut. He had, out of habit, locked the trailer door as he was exiting.

Since it was unthinkable that he should knock on another trailer door in his current state of dishabille, he just got the tire iron from his truck and popped the door open. He said he would just deal with the broken door later (when he was dressed).

:B :B Good story.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it is kaput. Why not just drill, discombobulate, and replace it?
Save the $ on a locksmith.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:

A few years ago it was revealed that a large number of the most commonly used door locks on RVs were defective, in that sometimes the lock would freeze up if the key was removed after locking if the key was not in the vertical position, but in the horizontal position. When this happened, the door could not be opened from either inside or outside, and the only solution was to drill out the lock and replace the entire mechanism. You don't say what year your rig is, but if it is more than 3 or 4 years old, you may have one of those defective locks.

She's 13 years old, so a very good possibility. I had to scramble and quickly set her up, lock her up and fly overseas so there's no telling what I did in that process. When I came back, no go...

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
crazyro wrote:

Fortunately, the broken key part I was able to get out. Unfortunately, it seems something broke inside the mechanism. It would not turn at all, no matter what we did. So it may have to be drilled out.

A few years ago it was revealed that a large number of the most commonly used door locks on RVs were defective, in that sometimes the lock would freeze up if the key was removed after locking if the key was not in the vertical position, but in the horizontal position. When this happened, the door could not be opened from either inside or outside, and the only solution was to drill out the lock and replace the entire mechanism. You don't say what year your rig is, but if it is more than 3 or 4 years old, you may have one of those defective locks.

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
If I understand this correctly, you have key broken off in the lock itself. Usually the solution is for a locksmith to use a special broken key tool that serves as the head of the key. However, if the lock itself is damaged internally so that it just can't turn at all, they may have to drill the lock, saw the lock or something else that can bypass what is physically preventing the lock from turning.

I would not beat myself up too much over not having a spare as with a key broken off in the lock, not sure what a spare would have accomplished anyways. Not sure if one of those electric keypad locks would have made any difference anyways as it sounds like some physical obstruction in the mechanism. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Fortunately, the broken key part I was able to get out. Unfortunately, it seems something broke inside the mechanism. It would not turn at all, no matter what we did. So it may have to be drilled out.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If I understand this correctly, you have key broken off in the lock itself. Usually the solution is for a locksmith to use a special broken key tool that serves as the head of the key. However, if the lock itself is damaged internally so that it just can't turn at all, they may have to drill the lock, saw the lock or something else that can bypass what is physically preventing the lock from turning.

I would not beat myself up too much over not having a spare as with a key broken off in the lock, not sure what a spare would have accomplished anyways. Not sure if one of those electric keypad locks would have made any difference anyways as it sounds like some physical obstruction in the mechanism. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.