cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

27 footer vs 32 footer, towing/handling difference?

lss177
Explorer
Explorer
Been towing a Crossroads 222RB for a few years, it is 27 feet long, 5K UVW. Looking at 32 foot TT's, wondering if there's much difference in towing/handling/managing the extra 5 feet and 1500 pounds?

Tow vehicle not an issue, just looking for experience of moving up in length/weight, and if there's any additional hassles... ๐Ÿ™‚
13 REPLIES 13

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
264SRinPA wrote:

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. 32' is 32'

Everybody else knows what he is referring to. No reason to get all worked up over it. People colloquially call their RV by their model number. Models numbers no longer correlate with actual length. Registration being one reason (my state charges by the foot), but many folks fixate on the max length they think they can tow, while at the same time being enamored with more interior space. My ORV trailer is called a 32 KQBS (or QKBS... Or some combo of those 4 letters...). Presumably, that would suggest its 32' long. The box is 35' and it's 38' overall.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

264SRinPA
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
A 32' trailer will be 35' long. It will catch more wind when you have crosswinds. Will be more difficult to back into marginal spaces and less maneuverable around gas pumps and parking lots. I currently have a 32' overall 35' went from a 26' overall 29'.

Dutchman Sport I believe it would be a 8' difference, most 32' trailers are 35' long.

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. 32' is 32'

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Many NP Campgrounds have a limited number of sites longer than 30 feet. So "lie" and say you are only 30 feet to reserve a site.

BTDT...
I've never seen anyone measure a trailer at a campground.
I backed an old 30' into a couple of short spaces... (Real careful)
I had a 28' that was almost as long as my 30'... Just go slow backing in...

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
I went from a 30 footer to a 37 footer and I can say the difference in lenght is an issue with gas stations and some other manuvering areas. I will say it backs up better but you better pay attention to turning corners on the roads. I'm 57 feet and a few inches bumper of TV to bumper of trailer and my biggest issue is gas stations because I have a gasser 2500. Diesel would not be so much a problem.

my thoughts exactly. our first TT was 33ft bumper to bumper, current TT is 37ft bumper to bumper. i have an f250 gasser. both TTs towed great. only issue is having enough room to manuever at gas stations and campgrounds. well worth it though for the extra room

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 30 footer to a 37 footer and I can say the difference in lenght is an issue with gas stations and some other manuvering areas. I will say it backs up better but you better pay attention to turning corners on the roads. I'm 57 feet and a few inches bumper of TV to bumper of trailer and my biggest issue is gas stations because I have a gasser 2500. Diesel would not be so much a problem.

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Just one other thought. Even two trailers the same exact length can tow differently. One could tow noticeably better by design.

Jerry

Agree. My 34' TT tows better then my previous 26' did. Assumed it is because of the the wide stance axles but who knows.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just one other thought. Even two trailers the same exact length can tow differently. One could tow noticeably better by design.

Jerry

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
If your truck is only a 1500 series, you may notice the difference. You are getting pretty close to the max of what you SHOULD tow with a 1500. The previous trailer had a bit more of a safety margin.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Many NP Campgrounds have a limited number of sites longer than 30 feet. So "lie" and say you are only 30 feet to reserve a site.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
A 32' trailer will be 35' long. It will catch more wind when you have crosswinds. Will be more difficult to back into marginal spaces and less maneuverable around gas pumps and parking lots. I currently have a 32' overall 35' went from a 26' overall 29'.

Dutchman Sport I believe it would be a 8' difference, most 32' trailers are 35' long.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
lss177 wrote:
Been towing a Crossroads 222RB for a few years, it is 27 feet long, 5K UVW. Looking at 32 foot TT's, wondering if there's much difference in towing/handling/managing the extra 5 feet and 1500 pounds?

Tow vehicle not an issue, just looking for experience of moving up in length/weight, and if there's any additional hassles... ๐Ÿ™‚

Little bit more care at the gas station and in the campground but nothing that you will not get used to very quickly.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Going around corners eg. at fuel stations and campgrounds.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Just always be aware you are 5 feet longer now. No problems.