cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A Fulltimer freeze concerns

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have a Late model Class A which we plan to use as our home. With winter coming I plan to prevent frozen pipes by using our furnace to heat the unit. I understand that with insulated bays I need not worry about freezing. I do not plan on being in a freeze zone for any long periods of time but accidents do happen.

Do I need to be concerned about our unit and plan?
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
15 REPLIES 15

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been in low teen temps with our Bay Star and with the gas furnace running, the temps in the water bays have never been a problem. I do have two wireless temp sensors so I can monitor the temps. And, I have two small electric personal heaters (200 watts each) mounted in the water bays with thermocubes if I end up in temps where more heat is needed.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Does your Ventana have the optional hydronic heating system? Newmar for the 2017 model had the Oasis system available that works very well in cold weather. Our coach uses the AuquaHot Hydronic heating system which is similar and keeping any area of the coach warm is not an issue. We are currently near zero temps here in the mid-west (waiting until next week when we head south finally!) and the storage areas/wet bay as well as the living area do not fluctuate more than a few degrees as the AuquaHot cycles. As mentioned earlier, monitor your coach temps with wireless sensors and then you will know exactly what is going on.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are currently in freezing temps and live in our motorhome. We use an electric heater to supplement the furnace during the day, and furnace only at night. If it's going to be below freezing for several hours, we disconnect our water hose and run off the fresh water tank with the pump. Furnace is set at 60 for night. We also leave our cabinet door ajar for the plumbing under the sinks. Been doing this 9 years and no problems.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One phrase of caution. Your RV is insulated yes but .. How well.. THe manufactur specifies a "Low temp" limit. for me it's 20 degrees. tonight it's 18 expected. I DO NOT anticipate any issues.. but I also am working on a low-limit extender

A string of old fashing C-9 Christmas tree lamps are under the tank Just now they are Non-Op but I suspect I know why Weather prevents me from fixing just now.

Today Corbin KY. Tomorrow.. Farther south
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a genetic fair weather sissy so I avoid freezing by leaving the region before the cold weather sets in.

If that's not possible for you, there are some economical longitudinally split open/closed cell foam insulation tubes for most smaller diameter PVC/copper pipes available in most home centers. They won't hold a candle to a week long polar vortex, but, they will give your external rigid exposed pipes a few more degrees/hours protection if you KNOW freezing is going to be an issue.

Chum lee

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Currently at Norton Pond Vt. temp is 15 with a low of 5 tonight, love camping in the cold.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't forget to protect the fridge. See the thread in full time called winter camping.

I use a thermocube on my fridge with a 60 watt light bulb. I also restrict the air flow by blocking some of the vents.

I use a 600 watt heater on a mechanical thermostat to keep the waste tanks unfrozen.

Replace the return air grill with twin window fans. I use a 2nd mechanical thermostat to operate the fans. They pressurize the duct work and keep the water lines from freezing up.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
We use a 200w heater with large electric extension cable, from entertainment bay and a TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet (in the wet bay).

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
How cold is cold? While in use most any RV is good to about 25. If yours is well made as said above you are probably fine to at least 20 and maybe lower.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
At night you might not run the furnace enough to keep the bays warm. Getting a remote thermometer is great advice and you can adjust you bay heat as necessary. A couple of light bulbs, small personal heater(s), heat mats, freeze cubes can all be added as necessary to keep everything underneath warm. Much depends upon "how cold and how long". We long term in very cold weather at times without issue but it does take some interaction on your part.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
If really want to be safe, go to tractor supply and buy a freeze cube. They plug in a electrical socket and at 35 degrees they will turn on a heater and off at and 45 degrees. Used for animal water tanks. Go to walmart and purchase a 400 watt personal heater. Put this in your wet bay and worries are over.
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Within the motorhome, there shouldn't be problems, as others have said.

You do need to disconnect the water supply hose in freezing weather lest the water spigot and the water inlet freeze and split. (Most hoses are flexible enough to withstand freezing water in the hose proper, but brass and plastic fittings have rather less give.) There are heated hoses etc. to work around this, but I don't think they'd be worth it for you when you won't be spending a good deal of time in freezing conditions.

It wouldn't hurt to stow the sewer hose as well in freezing conditions.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
It's good to keep a watchful eye on low temps. I'll also reiterate that Newmar's are so well insulated it shouldn't be an issue. For your own piece of mind why not get a wireless thermometer, place in basement, & you can see for yourself how warm it is staying.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I never have had frozen water lines. If I am in a freezing area for any great period I put a heat tape on the waterline from the spigot up to the motorhome.You may call me if you have any questions. Be happy to share with you.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer