cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screws being pulled out on Awning

scarecrow56
Explorer
Explorer
On my Apex 269RBSS there are two vertical channels bolted to the RV. Bolted on top, screws on bottom and 2 screws about midway up. The 2 screws midway are being pulled out of the wall when the awning is fully retracted (all the way in). Also it looks like while doing that it bows the vertical channel out in the middle. As soon as the awning is let out even a little, the channel pops back onto the wall. This is happening on both sides, left and right. Anyone ever see something like this before? Is this a common thing or am I just lucky? Thanks
Chillin' in the sun, Palm Bay, Fl.
17 REPLIES 17

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Many trailers have only a few framing members from one end to the other and they may be only .080" thick aluminum. Chances of getting a good attachment to a frame member where it is needed are near zero.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
scarecrow56 wrote:
I appreciate all the replies. It is not new. It is a 2015 that I bought Friday. I had not seen this issue. There is no warrantee other than a 30 day major appliance. their warrantee's are just about worthless anyway. The salesman called me today to see how it towed and I told him about this issue and a few others and he basically told me to have a nice day. Im not sure what im going to do about it. Its a Apex with a fiberglass skin over Azdel over aluminium frame.
If you can't do the work, then find an RV tech - there is a website where they are reviewed - I forget the name, or search in the RV_Camping section of your local Craigslist.

I know of 5 other people with this same issue, different brands of campers. The fix is using molly rivets.
That would be an easy fix.... Unfortunantly, it is not the best fix.
The proper/best fix is to get it attached to the framing members somehow. I actually like grandpakips idea.. Just be sure that the decorative wood piece is stout and spans a couple of studs.

Molly rivets into the wall (though somewhat stronger than screwing into the it) will just leave a bigger hole in the skin when they pull out

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
scarecrow56 wrote:
I appreciate all the replies. It is not new. It is a 2015 that I bought Friday. I had not seen this issue. There is no warrantee other than a 30 day major appliance. their warrantee's are just about worthless anyway. The salesman called me today to see how it towed and I told him about this issue and a few others and he basically told me to have a nice day. Im not sure what im going to do about it. Its a Apex with a fiberglass skin over Azdel over aluminium frame.
If you can't do the work, then find an RV tech - there is a website where they are reviewed - I forget the name, or search in the RV_Camping section of your local Craigslist.

I know of 5 other people with this same issue, different brands of campers. The fix is using molly rivets.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Stainless steel machine screws through the wall and a decorative backing plate with acorn nuts, if you can’t figure out the root cause.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
In the good ole days we had manual awnings that were attached to framing members at the top and bottom. Now we have the wonderful electric awnings flopping around while being attached to a box with the strength of cardboard.

Yep. And if you strapped it down it would stand up to some strong winds. These electrics? Anything over a mild breeze makes me nervous.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

scarecrow56
Explorer
Explorer
Chillin' in the sun, Palm Bay, Fl.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
This happened on my Reflection 303RLS. The dealer recommended fix is to use 3/16" x 1" moly rivets, not just regular pop rivets. Moly rivets have wings that spread on the back-side thus will provide a secure anchor.

If still under warranty, I'd have them fix it with this type of rivet, or do it yourself. Mine was out of warranty a few months ant they fixed it anyway.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
No, not normal. Something is binding and if not corrected could result in the channel popping off the wall.
Is this a manual or electric awning?
Also, you should be concerned that this is a leak danger.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the mounts are not aligned correctly or the awning material has shifted in the mounting rail. If trailer is new this should be a warranty issue.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
In the good ole days we had manual awnings that were attached to framing members at the top and bottom. Now we have the wonderful electric awnings flopping around while being attached to a box with the strength of cardboard.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
Try riveting those areas. I just installed awnings over my windows and they came with screws and rivets for walls with no backing
Bad idea. The rivets will pull right thru the thin skin.

Basically, no backer, no awning.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some travel trailers have only a thin piece of sheet metal just under the thin siding for the screws to bite into. I wonder how the screws hold anything. Check to see if the wall is straight using a straight edge like a four foot level, then do the same on the awning mount.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Something is flexing due to improper installation.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900