cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace or reseal skylight

scarecrow56
Explorer
Explorer
As I said in my earlier post, we bought a used camper. It had a few problems. Nothing major but one is the lap sealant on the skylight has cracked pretty much all the way around and water came in. Question is, better to just reseal the old lap sealant or replace the whole skylight. One is a $20 fix, the other around $150. The 2015 skylight is still in good shape just yellow a bit but no cracks as far as I can tell. Wadda ya think? Thanks
Chillin' in the sun, Palm Bay, Fl.
10 REPLIES 10

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I would go Huntindogs route. Once you get the old sealant loose the hard part is done.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I am in AZ which gets a lot of sun. My skylight cracked in about 5 years. It was only 20.00 or so for the part.

You are in FL which also gets a lot of sun. You skylight is yellowing, which means the degradation process is well underway. I recommend replacing it, and be be done with it for awhile.

Your money, your choice.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
I also renovated a old 2006 camper. I found that after many years of sun exposure all the plastic parts on the roof became brittle. So, I replaced all the plastic components with new ones. So if it were me and were planning on using the camper for some time, I would replace the sky light with a new one. Really not much more work than repairing and resealing the old one.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a true skylight or a clear vent? If a vent skylight they are extremely cheaply built. I took my cheap vent out and replaced with a fantastic fan.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
You can also try one of the headlight restore kits on the skylight if the yellowing is bothersome.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

scarecrow56
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, Im gonna just reseal the crack if its not too bad and get on with it! Clean and protect the roof while im at it
Chillin' in the sun, Palm Bay, Fl.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Without a picture, showing "cracked all the way around", it is hard to say if all old sealant should be removed. In any case, no sense to replace skylight, unless badly sun damaged (brittle). It takes a lot of product, to reseal a sky light, and towing before sealant cures, can cause roof flex, that may loosen/lift a little, on a new complete reseal. If not badly cracked/opened up, edge of skylight visible, I'd consider a good cleanup on old sealant, just adding new sealant covering cracks.

Jerry

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
As above. I had to do the same. I used Eternabond to seal it.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
Remove, clean away old sealant, inspect skylight and if ok, reseal and reinstall...

X2. There's no point replacing a good skylight just becsuse it's a little yellow.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Remove, clean away old sealant, inspect skylight and if ok, reseal and reinstall...
2010 Suncruiser