cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling my RV advice

ajacobs1112
Explorer
Explorer
This is for anyone who has dealt with PPL Consignment in TX. I'm thinking of selling my 5th wheel and considering bringing it to PPL. I went on their website and most of the reviews are negative. I would appreciate input if you've dealt with them, or if there is another place you would recommend to sell. I really don't want to sell it myself. Thanks, Allen
13 REPLIES 13

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Bought 2 and sold 1 on Craigs List. Just don't respond to anyone on an offshore oil rig buying "the unit" sight unseen at full price for his father and sending an agent to close the deal. This guy never buys anything ๐Ÿ™‚
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I've sold several items on Craigslist and done well. What I learned is if you are not getting any calls, the asking price is too high.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always had good luck selling things on Craigs EXCEPT RVs. I tried to sell 3 different ones with no luck. Priced very right, very clean, perfect condition, lots of pictures all the right stuff. No sale. Just depends on the market you are in. Small TT that can be pulled behind a 1/2 ton maybe, but anything larger means no sale here. If your market is like ours, I'd go there.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Nice thing about selling in TX is their RV season is 11 months out of the year, plus Texans enjoy camping. Your potential market will be large given the proximity to Houston.

Is it worth the effort to tow it there? Hard to say. Iโ€™ve walked PPL sale lot and saw a lot of rigs needing TLC. Thinking they are as good as any good local RV consignment shop in your neck of the woods.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just me, I,d put it up for sale on my own. have all records that you have in a folder,, unit should be very clean. and road ready. if you just want it gone? bring it up north to ohio we have them in auctions all the time. some in good condition bring nice chunk of money .nice you have a friend that could help you.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Selling on Craigslist has it's challenges - whether you sell RV's or anything else you have to have the ability to filter the buyers and feel free to pass rather than waste your time showing them the rig. Lots of good quality pictures and detailed info will help sell anything on Craigslist.
Kevin

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have never traded in an RV, and have had 5 different ones. We sold our first one, a popup to a friend; the second one, we parked it in a large parking lot that was well-patrolled and sold it for the asking price in cash to a local, but we didn't know them; the third, we sold on Craigslist to a family about 5 hours away. We had many, many phone conversations and exchange of pictures. It also sold for asking price. Our last fifth wheel, we also sold on Craigslist and sold it for $200 off of asking price. Again, we had several phone calls and we met at our bank to finalize the sale. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I sold a 5th wheel through PPL, a 30' Travel Trailer through craigslist, and a smaller TT for a trade-in. All were paid off.

- Other than dropping off the 5th wheel on a miserably hot and humid day, my entire experience with PPL was pleasant. Obviously, I can't state with certainty, but I might, might, have been able to pickup another $1,000 - $1,500 (on a circa $55 - $60k) sale if I'd gone the craigslist route.
- When selling the TT on craigslist, I had several contacts who wanted to sell ME a travel trailer, a couple of contacts who offered a job or wanted a job, and....one or two contacts that referenced the model of my TT, a cougar...it took innumerable e-mails, phone calls, meetings etc to separate the real from the fake, although eventually I did get my asking price.

- For me, any lost $$ in selling through PPL is infinitely preferable to the bovine leftovers that come with dealing with craigslist.

A true private sale (like to one's neighbor or RV buddy) might be better than PPL, but I'd go with PPL over craigslist or any generic public sale method.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been on their website and read comments about them on forums and it has always been positive.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
ajacobs1112 wrote:
This is for anyone who has dealt with PPL Consignment in TX. I'm thinking of selling my 5th wheel and considering bringing it to PPL. I went on their website and most of the reviews are negative. I would appreciate input if you've dealt with them, or if there is another place you would recommend to sell. I really don't want to sell it myself. Thanks, Allen

Funny I went to their website and saw positive reviews - I would expect that on their website - always heard good about them personally
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/comments#Seller
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are trying to refute the majority of negative reviews to justify using the service. Personally, I'd stay away just based on what you have said. Maybe find a friend that will sell it for you for a cut if you don't want to bother with it?

I sold mine on craigslist to the first responder and #2 was very disappointed. But I had thoroughly researched its value, cleaned it up REALLY well, staged it, and took a couple of dozen of pictures that I posted along with a detailed history of its usage. And most importantly, I priced it fairly. Didn't ask any dealers, but I'm pretty confident I got way more than they would have given me. So that would leave lots of room for a friend (or even someone else) to earn some easy money.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I have sold three RVs on Craigslist and done well. If your rig is clean and maintained, take a LOT of photos that show it and it will sell for a reasonable price. The key is reasonable; don't think you will get what you think it is worth to you; but what it is actually worth (see similar rigs online). If it is in good or great shape then take your time for someone who knows what they are getting. You will most likely get lowball offers so don't waste your time with them. Either the buyer is serious or they're not. Most consignments benefit the company more than the seller; unless your'e not interested in meeting other RVrs. Good luck

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are selling just to get rid of it, any dealership will take it. Of course, you won't get much for it either. That's the trade-off, get rid of it immediately at a low-ball offer. Or sell through some other venue with a higher price and it may never sell or you may be waiting for a long time.

By the time the unit actually sells, and your 3rd party intermediary gets their commission cut, you might have been better off just selling to your dealership and been done with it.

If you are upside-down on a loan, you'll never get the price you need to pay the loan off, from anywhere.