cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winterizing black tank flush with air

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I've always been successful winterizing by just blowing air through my water lines. I know there is an anti-siphon valve in the black tank flush system. Will just blowing out this line clear water from it?
12 REPLIES 12

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Me too, I've never blown out my black tank flush in over 12 yrs. I do hope it just drains into the tank when driving down the road. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem either.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
I've always been successful winterizing by just blowing air through my water lines. I know there is an anti-siphon valve in the black tank flush system. Will just blowing out this line clear water from it?

Thats one that I have never messed with winterizing. Its apparently draining out on mine , or have been lucky. 12 years of winterizing on my fifth wheel, and haven't had an issue with it

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
A side note. Also blow out your fresh water fill line with fresh tank valve open.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Yes, I just blow them out.
Our new TT doesn't seem to have any backflow device though...

It probably does. I had the same issue of disconnecting the hose and water flowing back out. What I figured out is that the back-flow check-valve is on the other side of the trailer where the sprayer is attached to the tank. Behind the wall where I hook up the supply hose the line that goes over to the black tank goes up first. So when I disconnect the supply hose the water on my side of the check valve can still flow back and out the inlet. I simply added another check valve right behind the wall.

OP .... Sorry for the off topic right turn on the thread.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Unless it's full, I don't think it will do harm.

Pipes and water tubes burst with the expansion of water when it freezes in confined space.

This is what you want. No need to empty the black tank. In fact it is not a good idea to completely empty the black tank. You seals will / can dry out and start to leak. plus the dreaded dry tank smell.

Water heater doesn't completely empty of water either with drain plug sitting a littler higher than the base of the tank. But it's insulated too so no worry.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG wrote:

Yup, just blowing is fine. Are you sure it's not hidden Scott? I always thought this was required on a new trailer equipped with BTF? Mine is behind the shower faucet assembly, really hard to get at.

Jerry

I just blow mine out as well.. That just gets any standing water OUT of the line...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Pipes and water tubes burst with the expansion of water when it freezes in confined space.

This is what you want. No need to empty the black tank. In fact it is not a good idea to completely empty the black tank. You seals will / can dry out and start to leak. plus the dreaded dry tank smell.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've done it that way on my previous TT. Never had a problem.

On my current 5er, I simply hook up the outside water faucet (sprayer, shower, blue coiled hose, hot and cold faucet) in my wet bay, to my black tank flusher (in my wet bay) then pump the pink RV antifreeze and watch for "pink stuff" to flow out the black tank outlet. Once it flows "pink" out the black tank drain, I know both the outside faucet and the black tank flusher line is winterized.

And by the way, I do this when camping too, so I don't have any dependency to hook up a garden hose to the black tank flusher.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, it will just blow that water into the black tank.