cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side windows are fogged up

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I have a 2008 Georgetown Class A and the drivers side and the passenger side windows have fogged up to the point to where it is difficult and dangerous to see out the side mirrors.

I was originally told it was the tint on the windows that went bad. My RV tech says it is the inside of the windows between the double panes.
The replacement is $1400 for the 2 sides (4 windows).
Any explanation or other ideas? Is it the tint or the panes?
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator
19 REPLIES 19

tenn_vol_
Explorer
Explorer
I had 3 dual pane replaced last yr. at Suncoast in Hudson,Fl.
I am thinking in Feb.and they are busy, price was almost $1000.
It took a couple three days, because they are SO busy.But the
camping is free and that does help. TennVol

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My windows that Suncoast Designs repaired five years ago are still fine.

They come with a transferable ten year warranty.

I can’t imagine single pane is cheaper than repairing the dual pane.

I’ve had both and dual pane is much better. Quieter and insulated better no condensation.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the fogged windows club!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Replace them with single pane windows. No matter what, dual panes will leak after a few years, so you're right back where you started. Single panes, have nearly the same insulation factor, because they're thicker. Do a search, there's some companies the will fix your dual or replace them with single pane. Talk to them and see what they recommend. I've had about 1/2 the dual panes in my RV repaired, but never again, they'll get replaced with single pane. Everyone worries about the insulation factor of single panes/ My answer is, your windshield probably has more area then all the other windows in your RV combined. Guess what, your windshield is single pane.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Single pane is an option if you never want to deal with window fogging again. All the cars and trucks we drive have single glass and don't seem to be an issue. ALL double glass will eventually fail. Just takes longer on some applications than it does on others.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
RustyMacIntosh wrote:
The Bounder that was gifted to me sat for a long time in a storage lot. The insides of the double pane windows on both driver and passenger side has what looks to be like alkaline stains. It is hard to see out of, even worse when the sun is in your mirror. I was thinking maybe just have both sides pulled and replaced.

That is what I am doing. But since i don't go out in real cold weather I might go with the single thicker pane. Fortunately there is auto glass shop here with this experience and a tech manager that has been very helpful. I am going with the voice of experience, so won't do this on my own.
Onan 5000 generator

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
The Bounder that was gifted to me sat for a long time in a storage lot. The insides of the double pane windows on both driver and passenger side has what looks to be like alkaline stains. It is hard to see out of, even worse when the sun is in your mirror. I was thinking maybe just have both sides pulled and replaced.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We sure can tell the difference between our single pane windshield and the dual pane windows. Windshield can be sopping wet after a really cold night, especially in an area with high humidity. No moisture on the dual panes. The difference in temperature and how you feel sitting next to them is very noticeable too.

I experience the same thing just with different side glass. I chalk it up to the side windows being surrounded by heavily insulated walls and being a 1/3 the size of the windshield. With the windshield having a large open area below for utilities and coming from the factory with marginal insulation behind the overhead cabinets it does sweat in cold weather. I added insulation above the windshield and noticed some improvement but see no way to increase insulation below it.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would also recommend RV Fog Doc in Searcy Arkansas.. I had my two front side windows done this last Sept. The price was $500.00 plus tax. In and out in about 6 hours. I went up on Tuesday night, parked and plugged in at their place and they got me in first thing the next day. On the road by 2pm. Very happy with their work and the windows look great. Had called and made an appointment first.

If you have the funds, that would be my recommendation.

Best to you in whatever you decide

Happy travels. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We sure can tell the difference between our single pane windshield and the dual pane windows. Windshield can be sopping wet after a really cold night, especially in an area with high humidity. No moisture on the dual panes. The difference in temperature and how you feel sitting next to them is very noticeable too.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:
I tired of fixing fogged dual pane windows so one by one as they fail I have a piece of laminated glass installed in the original window frames. It is the same glass used in the windshield. I haven't experienced any significant difference in temperature loss/gain, moisture or sweating is the same, and the laminated glass is a better sound barrier than the dual pane windows were.

OH NO, debunks the "HOLY GRAIL"
bumpy

There are different types of windows.
Depending on the manufacturer, you may or may not have to pull the whole window to get the glass out. Residential windows are made so both the slider and fixed unit can be removed without taking the frame out. RV windows go both ways. Many times you have to pull the window to get the slider out.

But in answer to your question, yes, you can do just one.
Single biggest thing is getting the durned glass out of there without disassembling half your MH.

Have a look to see if you can get the glass out without removing the frame.

On edit, I think I misread your question. I'll clean my glasses....

Yes you can change from double to single glazed, but you need to compensate for the narrower thickness. The DG frames are made for the thickness of the sealed unit vs the thickness of a single piece of glass. The fixed lite is easier to convert than the slider part.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Can I remove 1 of the glass panes and just have one? I do not go out in cold weather.
Onan 5000 generator

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I tired of fixing fogged dual pane windows so one by one as they fail I have a piece of laminated glass installed in the original window frames. It is the same glass used in the windshield. I haven't experienced any significant difference in temperature loss/gain, moisture or sweating is the same, and the laminated glass is a better sound barrier than the dual pane windows were.