cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help and Advice on a badly placed 5th wheel

Wiccedbug
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a 35 ft 5th Wheel, that was put into a spot (barley) with a fence right on front of it. We had to improvise to get it unhooked but managed. Problem is now, the space between the fence and the hitch is not enough for any RV movers to even attempt to move this since they can't get their truck in there easily and we don't have any other option. Is there any way to pull this thing backwards 10 feet or so to make space for a truck to hook up? I was thinking come-a-longs to the back axle but I'm not sure of balance issues. If I bring the Jack's all the way up will the 5th wheel just fall forward if not hooked up to anything?
64 REPLIES 64

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
***The physics of a well oiled sanded board seem sound. If it slides well it's not going to bend the jacks. I'm going to go with this method.***
This was OP last post. However after snarky comments I would bet he moved on to a friendlier website. He's gone through a hurricane which has left him and his in a bad situation all around.
At some point mods/adm IMO should close a thread like this where the OP doesn't respond, as it seems the longer one is open the nastier comments are made in many cases.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Last thought, how about 2 large floor jacks each on a 2x12 board. Lift the front at the same time theh have some winch or pull back slowly.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
garyp4951 wrote:
The OP left the building after page 3.lol

Which is too bad because I either wanted to see a report back on how it worked or that the repairs ended up costing more doing it the cheap way rather than the right way to start with.

After a couple requests for pics & no response I put op in the " pro moocher " list. I might have made an error about his persona but don't think so.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:

Which is too bad because I either wanted to see a report back on how it worked or that the repairs ended up costing more doing it the cheap way rather than the right way to start with.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
CapnCampn wrote:
Somewhere in this multipage novel the OP mentioned Rockport, TX.

... which as I look at a map, explains the comment about really sandy & usually wet. ๐Ÿ™‚

CC

Good call. Page 3, this post:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29996323/gotomsg/29996635.cfm#29996635
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Somewhere in this multipage novel the OP mentioned Rockport, TX.

... which as I look at a map, explains the comment about really sandy & usually wet. ๐Ÿ™‚

CC

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
OP: One more on SHARE YOUR LOCATION !!

Why the "secret stuff"??...:h...:?...:@

No need to "publish" your actual address, phone number, or e-mail.

Simply list the city, county, or area. Anyone reasonably close by and willing to help can reply (here).

Then communicate the above (here) by a "PM" - Private Message!

:C

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
How about a tripod with wheels and a come a long
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
here's the video link but again money is involved he may not have.

clicky

Maybe if he shared his location one of us could help him.

Bucky & RLC - nothing to do with $$ - power movers (the video) are NOT even close to being the answer - especially on sand...:S

OP: As noted - SHARE your LOCATION !!...:S

Maybe someone close by will at least stop by and you and they can scratch your heads together to come up with a viable solution!!

:h...:h

~

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
JRscrooby wrote:
This does not sound like a bad idea. But could your "table" be built under the frame? Would not need to be near as tall. Short and sturdy is easier than tall and sturdy.

Exactly. But it can be done even with the legs down. How do I know? Several years ago we had a severe failure with the suspension of our fifth wheel in Dalhart, Texas which required our trailer to be "carried" to Amarillo on a low-boy trailer. The driver used boards under the landing gear and very carefully, very slowly, winched the fifth-wheel up onto his trailer.

We still have that same fifth-wheel. No damage in that loading just using the landing legs (set at lowest point)

The "table" would add some protection, but we were on the road and could not await such construction.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
RedLionCookie wrote:
If you're going to pull it backwards, would it make more sense to put something under pin to slide on rather than the jacks? Raise the camper up with the jacks, build a "table with a track for the pin to slide down". Retract the jacks so all the weight is on the "table" then pull it back.

Raise it back up, move the table, repeat.

As long as the table is sturdy enough to carry the weight it should work.

This does not sound like a bad idea. But could your "table" be built under the frame? Would not need to be near as tall. Short and sturdy is easier than tall and sturdy.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
here's the video link but again money is involved he may not have.

clicky

Maybe if he shared his location one of us could help him.
Puma 30RKSS

RedLionCookie
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6qamcLAVaU