cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery storage

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years I have taken out my TT batteries and hooked them to a trickle charger in my garage during each winter. I now have the TT under covered storage at a local storage yard which has electric plug ins. Related to my TT batteryโ€™s winterization, am I good just plugging in the TT? Will this keep the battery warm/charged? Or should I remove the battery and trickle charge it in my garage?

My storage facility is open-sided, covered storage so there is no heat, just an electric plug in next to my TT. I can count on a few decent freezes in December/January here in W. Washington. Other than this battery question, my TT is stowed and winterized.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!
19 REPLIES 19

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
My WFCO wasn't awesome by any means, but aside from no real boost mode, it charged and maintained the batteries OK.

I used to mess with removing the batteries, but that is a pain, literally. Mine sit on the tongue of the trailer that's plugged into shore power. I haven't noticed that huge electric bill noted above.

Least amount of effort, most bang for the buck.

The WFCO converter has worked for us, too. I want to change it out for a Progressive unit, though.
I havenโ€™t seen a jump in electric use, either.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My WFCO wasn't awesome by any means, but aside from no real boost mode, it charged and maintained the batteries OK.

I used to mess with removing the batteries, but that is a pain, literally. Mine sit on the tongue of the trailer that's plugged into shore power. I haven't noticed that huge electric bill noted above.

Least amount of effort, most bang for the buck.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ADK Camper wrote:
Related to my TT batteryโ€™s winterization, am I good just plugging in the TT? Will this keep the battery warm/charged?

Most campers have WFCO converters that are supposed to automatically switch to "float mode" to keep a battery topped off. Unfortunately most WFCO converters operate only in adsorption mode and NEVER switch to float mode. If your converter operates this way it could overcharge your battery if left connected for a long period. This may cause the water level to drop and damage the battery. I believe you would be better off using a dedicated float charger.

True That.

It is amazing to me that the most common convertor on the market is the worst one.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
Instead of powering up the converter and any parasitic loads, I disconnect the battery and use a Battery Tender for a few days a month. It could be left on indefinitely, but I have other uses for it. With the trailer plugged in it is exposed to any electrical glitches in the power system. Cold will not harm a fully charged battery, in fact cooler temperatures are better for it.

My Brother does a similar set up as you do but he set up a timer so it cycles on and off a couple times a month.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
GrandpaKip wrote:
Our camper is plugged in continually when at home. Never had any problems with batteries.

I used to do this and found that it shot my energy bill up substantially. Didn't realize what caused it til I sold that trailer and it left. Then my Electric bill went from $120.00 to $60.00-$80.00. That was running a converter.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in Ontario where it gets cold. For the last 40 years I fully charge the 2 batteries in our boat and ensure no loads on them. For my Miata and John Deere tractor the same thing - fully charge and take off battery cables.

I leave them in Nov and come back in April. Batteries are all still mostly fully charged.

Batteries with no load on them are fine in cold weather over the whole winter
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi profdant139,

1% per day for an old tired worn out jar.
6% per month for a brand spanking new battery.

The colder it is the slower the chemical reaction--so cold storage is better so long as the battery is fully charged to start with.

That said, I will leave my car on a 1 amp charger for 3 hours per day for the next 120 days. But that is because of parasitic loads from the vehicle.

profdant139 wrote:
So I am going to display my ignorance, once again -- I had thought that if a battery is left disconnected, it will discharge about one percent per day. And after a couple of months, that discharge could shorten the battery's useful life.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Related to my TT batteryโ€™s winterization, am I good just plugging in the TT? Will this keep the battery warm/charged?

Most campers have WFCO converters that are supposed to automatically switch to "float mode" to keep a battery topped off. Unfortunately most WFCO converters operate only in adsorption mode and NEVER switch to float mode. If your converter operates this way it could overcharge your battery if left connected for a long period. This may cause the water level to drop and damage the battery. I believe you would be better off using a dedicated float charger.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
I would disconnect the batteries and take them to my house.
I can set them on a shelf and put a trickle charge on them sometimes.
Less chance of them walking off that way.
ALSO...
Make sure every door and Hatch is locked. Don't leave anything in your storage unit or camper that might be stolen.
Wouldn't hurt to put a shackle on your trailers hitch too.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
I would disconnect the batteries and take them to my house.
I can set them on a shelf and put a trickle charge on them sometimes.
Less chance of them walking off that way.
ALSO...
Make sure every door and Hatch is locked. Don't leave anything in you storage unit or camper that might be stolen.
Wouldn't hurt to put a shackle on your trailers hitch too.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that some trailers have a "disconnect" switch that doesn't completely disconnect everything. If you don't know for a fact that everything is disconnected, take off a battery cable.

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Instead of powering up the converter and any parasitic loads, I disconnect the battery and use a Battery Tender for a few days a month. It could be left on indefinitely, bit I have other uses for it. With the trailer plugged in it is exposed to any electrical glitches in the power system. Cold will not harm a fully charged battery, in fact cooler temperatures are better for it.

Best advice
The lower the temperature the lower the self discharge rate.
You really don't need a tender on a disconnected battery but you can connect one periodically if it makes you feel good.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I am going to display my ignorance, once again -- I had thought that if a battery is left disconnected, it will discharge about one percent per day. And after a couple of months, that discharge could shorten the battery's useful life.

Is that not true? Because if a battery can be charged, disconnected, and left alone for a long time with no damage, I am wasting electricity. I store mine in my garage (which never freezes) and keep it on one of those Battery Minder Plus gizmos.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
so long as battery is fully charged and disconnected the colder it is the better for the battery.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.