cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dogs now on Royal Canin SO Urinary food-questions

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Jesse had blood and crystals in his urine but no stones. Jake had blood in his urine with bladder stones. For now they have been switched to the Royal Canin SO Urinary food. A couple of issues-food serving is more volume than they are used to so it's hard for them to eat all of it. They are also much thirstier (food is designed that way) so they are drinking much more water, which I am sure is suppressing their appetites. I'm not worried so much about Jake-he is 66 lbs and overweight. However, Jesse was dead on at 50 lbs but has lost 2 lbs in the two weeks he's been on the new food. He's always been cyclical in his eating habits but right now is far more interested in just water. It's a struggle to get him to eat. Had an appointment today for a skin/thyroid med follow-up and the vet indicated they both should adjust to the higher sodium level therefore the urge to drink water will subside some. Has anyone gone through this? Vet also indicated that there are other foods to put them on if this one is causing issues. Comments? Thanks.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
4 REPLIES 4

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Talk to your Vet. Mine are on Gasto Intestinal Royal Canin.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I may have spoken too soon. This morning both dogs ate just about all of the breakfast. Here's hoping it's the start of a new trend!

Dr. Doug, I will keep that in mind.

Toedtoes, most days I can probably feed three times but not all. I'll definitely consider it if problems continue.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you split out the meals? Instead of two times, maybe do three times? That might help him get it all down. As he adjusts to the new food, and its effects, he will probably get back to normal eating habits.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dturm
These diets are designed to adjust pH and mineral content to treat the conditions present. There are other brands available, but I'd talk to a nutritionist (possibly at Royal Canin) to see if there is an calorie supplementation that wouldn't change the mechanism of action the diet is trying to achieve.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV