cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Orange County Calif., Loses Another Large Storage Lot

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Another one bites the dust. This makes over 2600 RV storage spaces lost in the last 5 years. How many have opened? Zero.

Article
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
18 REPLIES 18

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks HOA's, I store mine at my house that belongs to Me, NOT an HOA.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
$400 a month to store an RV..... amazing.

Our very well secured lot just went up to $60 a month.

I would not own a RV if I had to store it outside in the sun. In southern CA, I also pay $400 a month for a secured, gated, camera'd, storage garage with 30 amp service (about 100 garages at the facility).

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:

Yes it is hard to imagine, but property in the Orange County area (if you can actually find acreage) is 4 mill per acre. Even $400 a month wont cover it.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer

RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

htwheelz67
Explorer
Explorer
I stored my toyhauler there, they raised the rent every year and then gave less than 60 days notice.

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an article on the loss of RV Storage in California -

Article

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
mtofell1 wrote:
California doesn't want RVs or anything that burns gas (or diesel). It's going to be tough to get anyone outside of the RV world to care about the loss of storage spots. I'd be surprised if RVs are even legal in that state in 10 years.

Well ... if good old CA "outlaws" fossil fuel powered/towed RVs but allows electric powered/towed RVs ... then CA better get it's grid-power-outages-due-to-fires problems solved beforehand!!

Electric powered vehicles (whether it be SUV/PU/RV/motorcycles/big rigs) is gonna need reliable and high capacity grid power day after day to keep the vehicle lithiums full, and of course this will apply all over the U.S. in order for EVs to reach prime time nationally.

EVs only appear to be a somewhat workable solution at this time because there are so few of them.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Wasn't that long ago, when the old El Toro Marine base(where tons of RVs were stored)was sold to developers and all the RV owners had to scramble for new storage places. Being in Orange County, it was just a matter of time before that happened.
Camp Pendleton is constantly fighting off development.

Yep

See this Article (El Toro Closing)

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Just where in Mission Viejo is/was this lot?

When we lived in Komifornia I was lucky enough to park the coach on the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station. Back then the cost was 40 bucks a month

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I live about 2 miles from that lot, always wanted to store there but it was full and waiting list was long. I already pay $445/mo for a 65' pull through about 45 mins from my house, I am sure that will go up now as people scramble to find spots.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't that long ago, when the old El Toro Marine base(where tons of RVs were stored)was sold to developers and all the RV owners had to scramble for new storage places. Being in Orange County, it was just a matter of time before that happened.
Camp Pendleton is constantly fighting off development.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Managing partner sold our to Volkswagen.around 300.00 a month. Another one not too far away with same services is over 400.00 an up and a waiting list.
We are reserved at a new one about 60 miles away, but no services and individual storage units. Last one had heat if needed and an excellent Mgr and Staff.
Did lot of maintenance and repairs for us. So far he has not found or been able to get permits to build. Spaces and building that large are magnets to business.
They can pay much more than it cost to build new and make a huge profit. Two acres or so under one roof concrete floor with electricity for numerous coaches, and water and propane, ventilation tight buildigg for no rodents and so on cost a lot to build.

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Those that own their own storage condos out here are doing pretty well.

That is certainly the exception, not the rule.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like this will put more upward price pressure for a place to park.
Many are close to $300/month now for a barely secured dirt lot, no cover.
I park mine 40 miles away for some savings.