cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hooking up a rear camera to Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS that's been put into storage for the winter. I won't see it for another 6 months 😞 so I can't answer this question without some help.

I know there's a mount to attach a rear camera on the back of the trailer. What I don't know, though, is if the mount is set up to run off the camper's electrical system.

The reason I need to know that is because I'm considering dropping some serious hints for my wife to add this to my Christmas shopping list:

Type S 6.8" Wide Screen Solar Powered HD Wireless Backup Camera

I like that it's solar-powered so I don't have to worry about messing around with any extra wiring. However, if the Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS already gives me a mounting option that's already supplying electricity, then it's a non-issue.

My camper is in storage, so what do you say?

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS
1 REPLY 1

freetime58
Explorer
Explorer
davehultin wrote:
I have a 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS that's been put into storage for the winter. I won't see it for another 6 months 😞 so I can't answer this question without some help.

I know there's a mount to attach a rear camera on the back of the trailer. What I don't know, though, is if the mount is set up to run off the camper's electrical system.

The reason I need to know that is because I'm considering dropping some serious hints for my wife to add this to my Christmas shopping list:

Type S 6.8" Wide Screen Solar Powered HD Wireless Backup Camera

I like that it's solar-powered so I don't have to worry about messing around with any extra wiring. However, if the Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS already gives me a mounting option that's already supplying electricity, then it's a non-issue.

My camper is in storage, so what do you say?

Most TT these days either come with a backup camera or are prewired for a camera. Your's already has a housing mounted under the center clearance light that accepts a Furrion camera, the model of the camera that fits the housing is noted on a sticker affixed to the housing, it's a plug-n-play installation. There are two types of prewire set ups;

-a prewire using the TT 12v power supply so the camera is powered all the time, usually a switch somewhere in the TT to turn it off, the monitor can be used in the tow vehicle and moved into the TT when parked, these are primarily called observation cameras

-a prewire that gets it's 12v power from the center clearance light, these cameras are only live with the park lights are active and usually called back up cameras

You would have to check your specs to see what pre-wire you have, but my guess would be it's powered from the TT 12v system? Because you have the housing already mounted, if you remove the 4 screws that hold the cover in place, there is a jack that the camera would simply plug into, use the 4 screws to secure the camera in the housing, screw on the antenna, that's it!