cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone built a new ramp door?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2009 Keystone Hideout the side 5' wide toy hauler door is rotten at the bottom. I took the door off and the aluminum frame to see it's a sandwich of luan and foam. Need to rebuild and wonder if anyone else has built a new door?
7 REPLIES 7

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
I helped a friend tackle this recently. Could not use thicker wood on inside as the door would not close without spacing the hinges to accommodate the thicker door. Luan was used. Diamond plate aluminum was considered but he had no time to source a piece cut to fit. Outside skin was intact and reused, but one could also use a sheet of aluminum there as well if you have the ability or availability. Would be lighter and likely better all around. Good luck with the project!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered the filon and can reuse the aluminum perimeter frame. Took off the remaining hardware on the door. Been reading Portscaner's post and it sounds like his door was built different then mine. I will see how much I can apply. Have not scraped off the Luan yet to see how the whole door is constructed, just the rotted part.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, me too. Mine is the full size door at the rear and using lots of lumber will add a whole lot of weight.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Ran into the same trouble with the photos. I need to find the correct balance between strength and lite weight.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of the old posts have had the photos removed/made unavailable by PhotoBucket, so it's hard to follow the details.

Post up some details and photos if you would please, I need to check out mine next summer and haven't really decided to jump in yet and just do it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Y-Guy
Search of the archives might help you out ramp door rebuild

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Since it's a smaller door I thought of rebuilding with 3/8 plywood with a foam core. Don't know how much weight it would add.